Analysis Inside 50s into goals

Remove this Banner Ad

First 3 games we have doubled our opponents for marks on the lead and marks i50

Last night we had 14 marks i50 v 7 for Melb

We missed easy set shots.

Mead and Dixon had the most marks i50 for us and only 1 goal between them (plus an assist).

Goal kicking has been an issue for the last decade - way too simplistic to say all the problems with the forward line are because of inept kicking for goal.

Even with bad goal kicking you should be scoring a lot more than 89 points with 66 inside 50 entries.

Goal kicking has been an issue for the last decade - way too simplistic to say all the problems with the forward line are because of inept kicking for goal.

Even with bad goal kicking you should be scoring a lot more than 89 points with 66 inside 50 entries.
Its not simplistic to say goal kicking was our biggest problem on the weekend. Every forwardline has problems outside of that including Melbourne and Collingwood.

We are really missing an Elliot or Fritsch type who can take a set shot from any distance or angle

Its not simplistic to say goal kicking was our biggest problem on the weekend. Every forwardline has problems outside of that including Melbourne and Collingwood.

We are really missing an Elliot or Fritsch type who can take a set shot from any distance or angle
we are missing a Robbie Gray type

It's infuriating.

I believe for at least some of that time, it's been by design. Hospital balls to avoid a potential cutoff mark and quick rebound. Hope you can jag a pack mark or scramble a goal once it's in there, but don't actually plan for that.

It's the ugliest way to play and it only works against s**t teams.
It's 100% by design it can't be a coincidence anymore. We've seen 3 lists under ken do the same thing

My feeling is that is due to the excess workery hardery that they do due to Hinkleyball that when it comes to goalkicking more often than not they are ****ed physically.
They have no issues kicking goals from the an acute angle on the boundary back towards the standing room when posting on Instagram.

Wines had 7 inside 50s against Melbourne, usually averages 4 (this year, 3.5 last year). Swap his i50s with Butters 3 and we probably win.

Solution is a forward line of Marshall, Lord, Georgiades
Unless georgiades can get back to his accurate kicking of goals his value is debatable. Yes it is largely an individual attribute and players who are good at it can own the moment, suck in that all eyes are on them and have the routine and skill set to perform.
Houston imo is our best pressure kicker

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I did a little experiment

Inside 50s per total points scored (ie on the weekend Port scored 89 points from 66 inside 50s @ 1.35 points per i50)

in 2023...........
Port won 17 games - inside 50 to score ratio was 1.70 compared to opposition 1.47 (+0.23). Inside 50s average 59 to 50 (+9)
Port lost 8 games - inside 50 to score ratio was 1.39 compared to opposition 2.00 (-0.61). Inside 50s average 54 to 55 (-1)

So far in 2024, the trend looks similar (surprisingly..not)

Port won 2 games - inside 50 to score ratio is 2.02 compared to opposition 1.76 (+0.26). Inside 50s average 60 to 46 (+13)
Port lost 1 game - inside 50 to score ratio is 1.35 compared to opposition 2.13 (-0.78). Inside 50s average 66 to 45 (+21)

This proves what we all know. When we lose, our inside 50s vs score is horrendously low. We get the ball inside plenty. In 2023 in our losses on average we pretty much had the same inside 50s compared to our opposition. Only 1 less on average per game, yet our scores per i50 were ALOT lower than our opposition. The 2024 Melbourne game was extreme but trending the same as last year

Another interesting stat. We won 17 games last year but only 5 of those wins came against teams in the top 8 at the time we played them. 12 wins were against bottom 8 sides. We lost 4 of our 8 games against top 8 teams.

This method of "Bomb it to Charlie" we have employed for years is a total crap shoot. When we win, our efficiency isnt great but we win games on volume of inside 50s, and mostly against bottom 8 teams.

When we lose, it comes undone badly, and its always due to opposition putting too much pressure on us. Oppo teams are much more efficient and score heavily from alot less inside 50s where under pressure we just bang it inside 50 and more often than not it just gets intercepted and its straight out again

We arent seeing anything different in 2024 so prepare for another year of failure when it matters as we crumble when put under pressure

TLDR Sack Hinkley

It's pretty evident that Inside 50s alone are overrated in modern football now.
Yep exactly. Good teams use the ball efficiently and score heavily by the quality of ball delivery inside 50
Port want to try and win games by quantity of inside 50s
Just banging it inside 50 and hoping for a pack mark or a crumbed goal by a small forward isnt a winning formula

This is why we will never win a premiership with this gameplan

I did a little experiment

Inside 50s per total points scored (ie on the weekend Port scored 89 points from 66 inside 50s @ 1.35 points per i50)

in 2023...........
Port won 17 games - inside 50 to score ratio was 1.70 compared to opposition 1.47 (+0.23). Inside 50s average 59 to 50 (+9)
Port lost 8 games - inside 50 to score ratio was 1.39 compared to opposition 2.00 (-0.61). Inside 50s average 54 to 55 (-1)

So far in 2024, the trend looks similar (surprisingly..not)

Port won 2 games - inside 50 to score ratio is 2.02 compared to opposition 1.76 (+0.26). Inside 50s average 60 to 46 (+13)
Port lost 1 game - inside 50 to score ratio is 1.35 compared to opposition 2.13 (-0.78). Inside 50s average 66 to 45 (+21)

This proves what we all know. When we lose, our inside 50s vs score is horrendously low. We get the ball inside plenty. In 2023 in our losses on average we pretty much had the same inside 50s compared to our opposition. Only 1 less on average per game, yet our scores per i50 were ALOT lower than our opposition. The 2024 Melbourne game was extreme but trending the same as last year

Another interesting stat. We won 17 games last year but only 5 of those wins came against teams in the top 8 at the time we played them. 12 wins were against bottom 8 sides. We lost 4 of our 8 games against top 8 teams.

This method of "Bomb it to Charlie" we have employed for years is a total crap shoot. When we win, our efficiency isnt great but we win games on volume of inside 50s, and mostly against bottom 8 teams.

When we lose, it comes undone badly, and its always due to opposition putting too much pressure on us. Oppo teams are much more efficient and score heavily from alot less inside 50s where under pressure we just bang it inside 50 and more often than not it just gets intercepted and its straight out again

We arent seeing anything different in 2024 so prepare for another year of failure when it matters as we crumble when put under pressure

TLDR Sack Hinkley
Do it again with inside 50s to goals and it would be even worse.

It's not just our ability to score, it is our ability to set up easy goals and convert.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back