Analysis Inside 50s into goals

Remove this Banner Ad

T65NXIq.gif

Play Rioli deep and one out. Don't have him around the feet of our talls.
You know like how it worked for Jake Neade and Sam Gray

Last edited:
Kick to leading forward?

Nah repeatedly bomb it inside 50 and let the opposition rebound and goal
Our forwards don’t lead they just stand there like rabbits in headlights.
Goal kicking has been poor since I can remember.
They should line the forwards up and have them kick for goals all training session all week until they get it right.
If they can’t get an exceptional amount of goals drop em.
You can’t kick you can’t play.

Yet another game where we play against excellent intercept defenders and roll out the red carpet for them.

I feel like if we were able to clone the squad and play a match against ourselves, the two Aliirs would take like 40 marks between them.

Just bombing it long with no consideration for where it's going.

A big part of what hurts us is the lack of run and carry. Not nearly enough running the ball into our forward 50, we're always bombing it long.

Yet another game where we play against excellent intercept defenders and roll out the red carpet for them.

I feel like if we were able to clone the squad and play a match against ourselves, the two Aliirs would take like 40 marks between them.

Just bombing it long with no consideration for where it's going.

A big part of what hurts us is the lack of run and carry. Not nearly enough running the ball into our forward 50, we're always bombing it long.

I just don't know why when we bomb, our forward line is severely outnumbered, but when opposition bomb, our backline is severely outnumbered

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Of last night's 66 inside 50s, how many would have been bullet passes to a forward on a lead? Maybe 5? The rest were primarily bombing it long, high and deep.

It's the most inefficient gameplan and consistently lets them down in big games - yet they have not changed it in the last 7 years (at a minimum).

Of last night's 66 inside 50s, how many would have been bullet passes to a forward on a lead? Maybe 5? The rest were primarily bombing it long, high and deep.

It's the most inefficient gameplan and consistently lets them down in big games - yet they have not changed it in the last 7 years (at a minimum).

It's infuriating.

I believe for at least some of that time, it's been by design. Hospital balls to avoid a potential cutoff mark and quick rebound. Hope you can jag a pack mark or scramble a goal once it's in there, but don't actually plan for that.

It's the ugliest way to play and it only works against s**t teams.

It does feel as though we resemble a team with actual intent to score against bottom sides. Cohesive ball movement with purpose to generate I50 marks and shots at goal occur, when teams grant us the freedom to drive from the half back line, through the corridor and spot up leading targets. Someone like Todd Marshall for example- I suspect the gap in his output vs. top 6 sides as opposed to the rest would be significant, as we go to water under the slightest bit of pressure and resort to bombing long hoping for the contested spill- the antithesis of Todd's game.

To think that, post the classic Hinkleyball loss, he is the constant scapegoat, however, is wild.

Why do all our forwards go up for the mark and drag their defender into the contest when it's not needed.

There's no leading, no blocking for each other, no dummy leads to create space for each other. It's a poorly coached forward line. The dumbest football team going around.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

First 3 games we have doubled our opponents for marks on the lead and marks i50

Last night we had 14 marks i50 v 7 for Melb

We missed easy set shots.

Mead and Dixon had the most marks i50 for us and only 1 goal between them (plus an assist).

Re those shots that miss everything or fall short from 45-50 out, I feel like we have an unusually high number of players in our team who struggle to kick 50 metres but also an unusually high number of players who easily clear 50 metres. It feels like we're an outlier on both ends of the spectrum where for most teams it's simply most players can kick not much more or less than 50.

We can't do it. Especially not against top 4 teams.

Haven't been able to for a decade.

66-45 our way and we lose again. But no, it's the supporters who are idiots.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Our forward work is successful about as often as Ken says something intelligent.

Re those shots that miss everything or fall short from 45-50 out, I feel like we have an unusually high number of players in our team who struggle to kick 50 metres but also an unusually high number of players who easily clear 50 metres. It feels like we're an outlier on both ends of the spectrum where for most teams it's simply most players can kick not much more or less than 50.
My feeling is that is due to the excess workery hardery that they do due to Hinkleyball that when it comes to goalkicking more often than not they are ****ed physically.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back