List Mgmt. COLLINGWOOD Trade & FA 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

…Logan Morris…
I wanted Morris too, especially that he is playing better footy ATM then Nate Caddy who has a similar profile.

Keep an eye out for Jobe Shanahan this years draft 194cm but big leap, I think he is currently the only player who kicked multiple goals against Coburg and Footscray VFL sides.

Right now our F1st is P10. That plus P34 is pretty close to P9 and P28 for Dangerfield no? (Gore and P50 would cancel out). Schultz should be valued no where near Dangerfield. And sure by the end of the season we could finish with a higher pick. But also there's a clear risk of that being an even lower pick.

Similarly the points value of the Cameron trade based on those picks of a few late firsts netted by a few second rounders is pretty much the same value as the Schultz trade based on current positioning.

The point regardless was that Schultz should be valued no where near the likes of Cameron/Dangerfield yet Geelong didn't have to spend much more to acquire them.

I'm very confident we'll finish higher than what we currently are, and there'll likely be a 1/2 dozen academy picks slotted in before our 1st rounder. We both know that it'll likely be closer to pick 20 (or even higher) than 9. You can also dismiss Gore because he didn't amount to much, that's the gamble, but it was still draft picks PLUS a player, and he was a player who'd only had a year in the system before he was returned home to SA.

Happy to revisit it after the draft to confirm the hyperbole.

I'm very confident we'll finish higher than what we currently are, and there'll likely be a 1/2 dozen academy picks slotted in before our 1st rounder. We both know that it'll likely be closer to pick 20 (or even higher) than 9. You can also dismiss Gore because he didn't amount to much, that's the gamble, but it was still draft picks PLUS a player, and he was a player who'd only had a year in the system before he was returned home to SA.

Happy to revisit it after the draft to confirm the hyperbole.
Would like to visit it now and curious to know who the 6 f/s and academy selections will be before out pick.

Sidey definitely first.
Howe/pendles could go in the same year.
Jamie? Cox? Mitchell?

Personally I would have preferred at the very least that Sidebottom and Howe went out with a Premiership. Luckily we didn't with Howe as Murphy has since retired.

But right now, given what we have coming through and performances so far this year, I'd go with:

End of 2024 - Sidebottom and Howe
End of 2025 - Pendlebury, Elliott, Cox, Mitchell (?)
End of 2026 - Crisp, Mihocek and Hoskin-Elliott

Personally I would have preferred at the very least that Sidebottom and Howe went out with a Premiership. Luckily we didn't with Howe as Murphy has since retired.

But right now, given what we have coming through and performances so far this year, I'd go with:

I wouldn't push any of them out at the end of the year, but would be very clear that they'll play reserves if appropriate. Even if playing reserves they'll be excellent contributors to the club and handy depth. If Harrison and Sullivan go well enough, and we get our injured guys fit again, Sidey might have some reserves time later this year.

Who knows with Checkers, Elliott, WHE, Crisp and Cox - I don't think physical decline has been seen yet.

Sounds about right. There will also be turnover of the younger part of the list to organise.

I suspect one of the reasons Fin got one year but got it relatively early was there is still a doubt about him being good enough but the combination of the stability of the team up to now and the turnover thats to come means some of the younger guys may get a year extra.

I suspect one of the reasons Fin got one year but got it relatively early was there is still a doubt about him being good enough but the combination of the stability of the team up to now and the turnover thats to come means some of the younger guys may get a year extra.

I think it was us hedging our bets in terms of locking him in at a low contract in case he has a good year. And him jumping at an oppurtunity for insuring he's on an AFL list next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wouldn't push any of them out at the end of the year, but would be very clear that they'll play reserves if appropriate. Even if playing reserves they'll be excellent contributors to the club and handy depth. If Harrison and Sullivan go well enough, and we get our injured guys fit again, Sidey might have some reserves time later this year.

Who knows with Checkers, Elliott, WHE, Crisp and Cox - I don't think physical decline has been seen yet.

I was saying this about this year

I was hoping we might manage some of the older blokes with "breaks" in the VFL which also allows them to help develop the VFL players as on field coaches

I think it was us hedging our bets in terms of locking him in at a low contract in case he has a good year. And him jumping at an oppurtunity for insuring he's on an AFL list next year.
Yeah, elements of all. But if we didn't have a big number of older best 23 players near the end I think they would have held off for the other option of he fails to get many games in 24 so isn't offered a contract in 25. If say Howe, Sidey and WHE tip out this year we don't need to cull as many younger players. Also the lack of good draft picks mean we wont be going heavily there.

Yeah, elements of all. But if we didn't have a big number of older best 23 players near the end I think they would have held off for the other option of he fails to get many games in 24 so isn't offered a contract in 25. If say Howe, Sidey and WHE tip out this year we don't need to cull as many younger players. Also the lack of good draft picks mean we wont be going heavily there.
I think we'll continue to use SSP, so don't think we'll hold on to young players for longer - it might be the opposite - immediate depth for the roles you want can be added more easily than it used to be.

Would like to visit it now and curious to know who the 6 f/s and academy selections will be before out pick.

Was just a number I plucked out of the air as it’s way too early to say, but off the top of my head Welsh, Ashcroft, Lombard, and 2x Camporeales gets you close and they’re all in that 1st round discussion.

Ashcroft
Ben Camporeale
Lucas Camporeale
Tim English (1st round compo)
McCluggage (1st round compo)
3-4 others that draft watchers could name (there always is)
Pick 18 moved down 7 spots last year)

Last edited:
So with:

• King having re-signed
  • Ugle-Hagan re-signed
  • Naughton re-signed

Are there any other decent key forwards we could go for? There has to be someone half decent that's gettable.

Kinda disappointed we didn't have a crack at 2 metre Peter when he was available

Elliott out next year despite playing as well as he ever has doesn't make much sense to me. Think he and Checkers last to 2026-27

Remove this Banner Ad

Back