List Mgmt. COLLINGWOOD Trade & FA 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

PIES’ TRICKY LIST CALLS ON VETERANS LOOM

With an ageing list, Collingwood faces big calls on the future of several veterans.

The Magpies have been running out a 23 each week that ranks in the top two for age and experience, with nine players aged 30 plus on their list – many of which are club greats – in a delicate balancing act for Craig McRae and the list management team.

They include Scott Pendlebury, 36 years old, Jeremy Howe and Steele Sidebottom, both 33, all of whom are out of contract at season’s end.

Herald Sun reporter Jon Ralph said Sidebottom and Howe are keen to play on in 2025, though you sense it could come down to their form and how the rejuvenated reigning premiers fare for the rest of the season.

Meanwhile Pendlebury is approaching 400 games and has an eye on Brent Harvey’s all-time record of 432 matches.

It comes as the Pies, now with four wins, three losses and a draw, have turned around their season in recent weeks, having gone undefeated since Round 2 including a huge win over arch rival Carlton last Friday night.

Regardless, the club’s overall list profile needs to be managed with a long-term lens, plus several veterans have already been rested this season.

“They’re definitely ageing,” Ralph said of Collingwood’s list on Fox Footy.

“Nine players 30 and so many performed remarkable feats in the grand final. But how they are managed and potentially exited by Craig McRae in the back-end of the season is very much going to be a talking point.

“If McRae can spark them into form, he can have discussions about potentially moving them on with a lot more dignity.

“His football boss Brenton Bolton talked last week about professional suicide at Carlton. He said: ‘I cut way too deep, too many of my veterans and I had no one there to try and school the young kids.’”

Ralph noted McRae has already “drawn some flack” after former Magpies Taylor Adams and Jack Ginnivan voiced grievances with how their exits were handled last year as the club would clearly want to avoid such friction with its beloved stalwarts.

“All eyes are on those 30-plus players,” he added.

Probably time to tap Sidebottom on the shoulder, but id like to see Howe go around again though.
Yeah I think sidey should be the first one to be tapped. He may want to go on, but should he is another. He is already declining.
Pendle for another year.
Howe? 50/50, though he does have a trigger for another year.

Yeah I think sidey should be the first one to be tapped. He may want to go on, but should he is another. He is already declining.
Pendle for another year.
I'm personally in the Howe moving on camp too, or at least being looked at in another role.

IMO he has lost that extra yard of pace that allows him to get to contests, and his aerial prowess I feel isn't quite where it was 12-18months ago. I'm a huge fan of Howe and everything he's done for the club, but down back I think we need to blood games into Dean and the likes of Eyre and TJ when they are ready either this year or next.

In terms of potentially another position for Howe - I would not mind seeing him move out to a wing. He's still much quicker than Sidey and his fitness levels and footy IQ (while maybe below Steele's) is still an asset around the ground, and takes the reliance of him down back, while still allowing him to roll back there in transition to support the main defenders.

Pendle for another year.
I'd be tapping him on the shoulder at some point and playing him in the VFL.

Could be mutually beneficial.

Give him a lighter week.

Play Sullivan, Macrae, Harrison, etc.

But also see if he can still perform at VFL level.

Pendle for another year.
North should offer Howe a couple of years. They need leadership like his.
That club is looking worse by the week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

An ageing Howe, Sidebottom and Pendlebury offer us more than the alternative, a late national draft pick. Let them retire on their terms.

That said the match selection shouldn’t be adverse to selecting someone else if they’re in better form.

I agree that Pendles, Howie and Steele should be able to bow out when they are ready. Any extensions on reasonably low dollars though ala Tom Hawkins at Geelong. And they must all be prepared to be rested/miss games as we blood a few more youngsters. I feel like it's a big win to have that knowledge and experience to call on.

These blokes bleed black and white and I would hate to see them do a Hodge, though I suspect Pendles will head elsewhere as an assistant coach the minute he gives up playing... before he comes home to be a five-time premiership coach at the Pies (10 flags overall!)

I actually think Howe has been okay this year, wouldn’t be rushing to move him on.

Sidebottom on the other hand, could be a case of thanks for 70m bomb last year in the grand final if his form continues

An ageing Howe, Sidebottom and Pendlebury offer us more than the alternative, a late national draft pick. Let them retire on their terms.

That said the match selection shouldn’t be adverse to selecting someone else if they’re in better form.
Yep, what they’ve done for this club and the legends they are, they’ve earnt the retire on your terms card.

We’re not gonna go full North and delist one of our greats ala Harvey

Pendle for another year.
Yes, Pendles well ahead of Sidey and Howe.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back