List Mgmt. COLLINGWOOD Trade & FA 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s controversial to say this but he’s vulnerable to being cut. We let go of McMahon and Ruscoe, both talls and were given a short window. Sure, talls take time but you can reduce that time by playing the ruck merry-go-round for some cheapie or looking to the state leagues and finding one who’s having 20+ HOs a week and would improve the team. Steene has some highlights but so does every player.

At the moment, the best VFL ruck is … Liam Purcell who probably wouldn’t be playing if Steene was not injured.
I do think you'll be quite wrong about this, and I'm confident Steene will be on our list next year, and probably for some time after that! You seem to have a bit of a set against him, and I don't really understand it! I don't think what happened with McMahon and Ruscoe has much to do with with it either, with neither of them being rucks, or able to help out there even on a part-time basis. McMahon was probably of KP height, but a lightweight, and Ruscoe wasn't a genuine tall by AFL standards.

This is Aiden Begg's fourth year on our list, and he's been able to hang in there seemingly because he's somewhere near ruckman-sized, and they thought he might develop into a player. That really hasn't happened, yet Steene is considerably taller, can take a mark, and might be able to go forward and kick a few goals, something Begg is unlikely to do. They chose to elevate Steene to the primary list after just one season on the rookie list, long before they needed to make such a move, while Begg and Carmichael, who've been on the r/l for longer are still there. It's very unfortunate that Oscar is sidelined again, as we could really do with him playing/developing, but (especially with Cox getting closer to the end) I don't see why we would even consider cutting him this quickly after recruiting him!

The Dogs would make that deal in a heart beat. Shocking deal for us.

For taking Lobb (who is surplus to their requirements) and his salary off their books we should give them a fourth rounder and they give us a second rounder and Lobb. Lobb is bang average.
I feel Smith alone is going to take our F1st and this year's 2nd, it's overs but Dogs will drive a hard deal imo.

I feel Smith alone is going to take our F1st and this year's 2nd, it's overs but Dogs will drive a hard deal imo.
I’m over paying overs. The fact that Bazlenka has missed two years of footy should lower his current value, any other team would be getting him for bugger all, as we have some special tax for some reason

This team is screaming out for a center clearance mid and an outside running mid with pace.

LDU and Smith would be monster gets and change the whole dynamic of this midfield.

I have to second the get smith comments. He would be very handy. Not opposed to lobb either…Rather I said a couple of years ago about going after D.Fogarty from the crows. He is out of form now but reckon he would do better in a better team (no offence crows fans)

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

This team is screaming out for a center clearance mid and an outside running mid with pace.

LDU and Smith would be monster gets and change the whole dynamic of this midfield.
Couldn't agree more.

Watching Essendon continually smash us around clearances yesterday further underline the need. Its clear to me McCrae is unlikley to step up otherwise they would have given him a decent crack by now.

LDU and Smith would be amazing but doubt we have the currency to trade for these guys. I think we can get 1, but not both.

Couldn't agree more.

Watching Essendon continually smash us around clearances yesterday further underline the need. Its clear to me McCrae is unlikley to step up otherwise they would have given him a decent crack by now.

LDU and Smith would be amazing but doubt we have the currency to trade for these guys. I think we can get 1, but not both.
LDU would be a 2025 acquisition as a free agent.

Couldn't agree more.

Essendon have added quite a bit of pace to their list and it's now starting to pay off. It wasn't so much their mids that got us but more the flankers pushing up to every contest and out numbering us around the ball. They then went wide and got around our structures, however, we were able to get things on our terms quite a bit also. Sides are using this tactic against us now but it's a game style that requires a lot of spent energy and can't be sustained for a whole game. It's going to be about how we respond of correct this during games. The last 2 weeks have shown that we are more than capable

Begg, Bytel, Carmichael all in serious trouble

Dean Howe Kruger and Richards probably the other 4
Bytel would be safer than you’d think. He’s played his role well and is wing depth.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I do think you'll be quite wrong about this, and I'm confident Steene will be on our list next year, and probably for some time after that! You seem to have a bit of a set against him, and I don't really understand it! I don't think what happened with McMahon and Ruscoe has much to do with with it either, with neither of them being rucks, or able to help out there even on a part-time basis. McMahon was probably of KP height, but a lightweight, and Ruscoe wasn't a genuine tall by AFL standards.

This is Aiden Begg's fourth year on our list, and he's been able to hang in there seemingly because he's somewhere near ruckman-sized, and they thought he might develop into a player. That really hasn't happened, yet Steene is considerably taller, can take a mark, and might be able to go forward and kick a few goals, something Begg is unlikely to do. They chose to elevate Steene to the primary list after just one season on the rookie list, long before they needed to make such a move, while Begg and Carmichael, who've been on the r/l for longer are still there. It's very unfortunate that Oscar is sidelined again, as we could really do with him playing/developing, but (especially with Cox getting closer to the end) I don't see why we would even consider cutting him this quickly after recruiting him!
Steene’s ability is limited and although he’s had some highlights, he’s still very very raw.

We’d cut him to pursue a mature ruck who could a) be called up if needed and b) would perform better in the VFL and help the midfielders.

They arent cutting Oscar after promoting him to the senior list lol They have always known he is a long term prospect, as young rucks usually are. He's shown enough promise and development in his time with us so far, He'll get extended.

Last edited:
They arent cutting Oscar after promoting him to the senior list lol They have always known he is a log term prospect, as young rucks usually are. He's shown enough promise and development in his time with us so far, He'll get extended.
Elevation to the senior list doesn’t mean much.

If we trade and look to FA, someone has to go and right now, Steene is vulnerable.

If we trade and look to FA, someone has to go and right now, Steene is vulnerable.
You could say the same for everyone on the OOC list.
Elevation means they rate him, they didnt have to elevate him, but clearly has faith in him for the long term future.

You dont get a young ruck for 2 years and cut when they have shown potential. He's only 20.

There are plenty of other players who are much more vulnerable than Steene.

Agree with Jen, they clearly rate Oscar & see his long term potential. It's just bad luck he's copped those injuries this year & it's halted his development. They won't be giving up on him now.

You could say the same for everyone on the OOC list.
Elevation means they rate him, they didnt have to elevate him, but clearly has faith in him for the long term future.

You dont get a young ruck for 2 years and cut when they have shown potential. He's only 20.
That’s true about not having to elevate him but we did so to hand rookie deals to SSP. Don’t read too much into it, really. The rookie list is more or less irrelevant now bar accounting reasons.

That’s true about not having to elevate him but we did so to hand rookie deals to SSP. Don’t read too much into it, really. The rookie list is more or less irrelevant now bar accounting reasons.
You could have easily put Dean on the senior list or carmichael. But no, they chose the 19 year old.

You could have easily put Dean on the senior list or carmichael. But no, they chose the 19 year old.
Dean had played no footy for two years or at least very little. Made good sense to keep him there. Elevation to a senior list can’t be looked into too much. Might have had something to do with his agent. A lot can change between now and the end of the year.

End of the year, AJ will remain on the senior list when his form right now is rookie list if that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back