Analysis Cockburn vs Freo - Should we move back

Remove this Banner Ad

All very well so many wanting Fremantle back in Fremantle, but wake up to the fact that South Fremantle did not want Fremantle Football club, the Dockers, at Fremantle oval.
The bridge has been burnt. There will never be a Fremantle FC club return to Fremantle oval unless South Fremantle go bust and can no longer be part of the WAFL.
Some one said most from the club want them back in Fremantle, garbage. Most supporters are happy with where Fremantle Dockers are right now.

It's certainly becoming less and less relevant.

Garlick would've seen first hand the positives from Footscray becoming The Bulldogs.

Nothing alike though. Footscray had negative connotations that was hurting their attempts to expand their fanbase. Fremantle has nothing but positive connotations when it comes to football history and we have a huge fanbase already.

Even the Dockers marketing team think it's better.

Look where they take all the team pics etc - all in Freo or at fremantle oval.
what team photos (beyond the retro round ones which make complete sense to be there)

• Requirement to drop millions on net-zero and other non-negotiable add-ons imposed by the Council
  • Council unwilling to entertain any changes to the plan they'd put forward, and the Freo Society gearing up to campaign against it regardless
  • Souths always hating the Club having a permanent base there and pushing to fight tooth and nail against any changes to their infrastructure, regardless of what we needed for our facilities

Looks great, but I'll believe it when I see it. Plenty of local egos and NIMBYs still to be pacified.

I think the approach we're taking the moment (AFLW games, regular training sessions, the pop up shop/office) is the right one - the idea we drop tens of millions dumping Cockburn to satisfy a few hysterical Freo Herald letter writers is ludicrous.
In its present state the ground is pretty crap and really needs a makeover. Replace the concrete banks with grass, move the playing area over to the heritage stand so it's actually useful plus another new stand. Maybe even a small replay screen. Could and should be the premier lower level venue.

Along with the girls playing there the men could have a pre season match.

Since Easts are struggling for money (apparently according to another thread on here by that WC fan), should buy the ground off them, Easts can share with Souths at Freo oval (they were considering this not long ago anyway, and would be good for the lols), and rebuild the Dockers home ground at East Freo. Good size, great spot, still 'Freo', many players live nearby, no stupid Freo council to deal with (just the East Freo carparking revenue raising rangers), and most importantly convenient for me to watch training.

54255324_2351371561585836_3041659898740867072_n.jpg

Their home. The home of the Mighty Red and White Bulldogs.

Since Easts are struggling for money (apparently according to another thread on here by that WC fan), should buy the ground off them, Easts can share with Souths at Freo oval (they were considering this not long ago anyway, and would be good for the lols), and rebuild the Dockers home ground at East Freo. Good size, great spot, still 'Freo', many players live nearby, no stupid Freo council to deal with (just the East Freo carparking revenue raising rangers), and most importantly convenient for me to watch training.
The mighty Sharks have a massive redevelopment happening.
When the members and the large volunteer group were ask about moving to fremantle oval the over whelming response was no.
In fact most were happy to fold the club before moving to Fremantle oval.
Most believing this would result in a merger (take over)

Once East Freo's development is done and envy begins to set in, Fremantle Oval might actually get a worthwhile upgrade.

You can look into the ground from the Old Synagogue rooftop or you walk past the oval on a sunny day from Freo Social, hell I deliberately went to buy a Tonic & Ginger voucher for a friends present. There are cafes everywhere, Little Creatures will get an upgrade, Jetty is sensational, FOMO is building up nicely, what they did with the library and that hill is quite lovely, Gage Roads is decent spot and a good playground for kids. Freo has done well to turn it around as a hospitality precinct, and it's not dead like it used to be.

But y'know what would be nice, if the Fremantle Football Club was in Freo and being the presence it should be. Were they to know that Fremantle was going to start to climb out of the hole it was in? Maybe, maybe not.

I'm sure they could have got creative and created a modern 'Freo-like' in architecture and given the whole oval a genuine uplift but guess we'll never know.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Once East Freo's development is done and envy begins to set in, Fremantle Oval might actually get a worthwhile upgrade.

You can look into the ground from the Old Synagogue rooftop or you walk past the oval on a sunny day from Freo Social, hell I deliberately went to buy a Tonic & Ginger voucher for a friends present. There are cafes everywhere, Little Creatures will get an upgrade, Jetty is sensational, FOMO is building up nicely, what they did with the library and that hill is quite lovely, Gage Roads is decent spot and a good playground for kids. Freo has done well to turn it around as a hospitality precinct, and it's not dead like it used to be.

But y'know what would be nice, if the Fremantle Football Club was in Freo and being the presence it should be. Were they to know that Fremantle was going to start to climb out of the hole it was in? Maybe, maybe not.

I'm sure they could have got creative and created a modern 'Freo-like' in architecture and given the whole oval a genuine uplift but guess we'll never know.
Fremantle council were too anti development..I'm not sure how they could have managed the world class facilities they have at Cockburn.

The next logical step is to have dual facilities..
We have invested far too much to walk away from our present arrangements but family days, training and merch store at the oval is a good start..

O

Nothing alike though. Footscray had negative connotations that was hurting their attempts to expand their fanbase. Fremantle has nothing but positive connotations when it comes to football history and we have a huge fanbase already.
what were the negative connotations with footscray?

East Freo upgrade by the state was pork barreling at it's finest.

As long as we have a Labor government, we'll never see Freo Oval upgraded.

All very well so many wanting Fremantle back in Fremantle, but wake up to the fact that South Fremantle did not want Fremantle Football club, the Dockers, at Fremantle oval.
The bridge has been burnt. There will never be a Fremantle FC club return to Fremantle oval unless South Fremantle go bust and can no longer be part of the WAFL.
Some one said most from the club want them back in Fremantle, garbage. Most supporters are happy with where Fremantle Dockers are right now.
Can't speak for me I am definitely not happy.

When it was announced there would be a second team in the early 90s I recall there was a brief campaign for this team to also be named west coast, or some variation thereof, so that it could represent all west aussies, not just the wogs and seafarers from Fremantle

When it was announced there would be a second team in the early 90s I recall there was a brief campaign for this team to also be named west coast, or some variation thereof, so that it could represent all west aussies, not just the wogs and seafarers from Fremantle
It's kind of funny I go for Freo, growing up in the country I always disliked Easts and Souths and when I have lived in Perth it's almost all been in the north half. In saying that if I do move back I have been looking at the possibility of Mosman Park so I could finally end up in the area!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back