News Brynn Teakle returns to East Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

Chances he goes and plays ruck in the 2s
Would rather make him a swingman in the 2s and have Visentini/Hayes rucking.

I hope the club reverts to what they were doing with Teakle at the Maggies about 4 weeks back, ie try and develop him as a key defender and leave the ruck work to Hayes and Visentini.
His only chance at an AFL career IMO (and it's a very long shot) is to work at being a lockdown KPD. There's a hole in our list for it, and it's the simplest position on the field. Give him the rest of the season in the SANFL playing that role.

His only chance at an AFL career IMO (and it's a very long shot) is to work at being a lockdown KPD. There's a hole in our list for it, and it's the simplest position on the field. Give him the rest of the season in the SANFL playing that role.
He’s not smart enough or competitive enough to make it at the level.. he’s a rung below footballer.

He’s not smart enough or competitive enough to make it at the level.. he’s a rung below footballer.
Well, this board had:

1] Williams - gone this year
2] Ollie Lord - not AFL standard
3] Byrne-Jones - shot to the moon
4] And lets not mention Mac & Cheese!

Q: Is Teakle really ready for AFL?
A: No - he needs another year or two, with the odd Power fill-in game

Q: Is he as bad as folk here are making out?
A: No - he is not! He played his part.

Q: Is he that much worse than Lycett?
A: Absolutely not! Lycett is a terrible ruckman! The only thing that he has over Teakle is his brute strength.

That said, I think we made the right call playing Lycett against the Grundy/Gawn combo, his strength was his best weapon. They need to keep developing Teakle in the 2's if they intend to mark him as a ruckman ... lets at least see what he has.

I would be quite happy to see Visentini get a game as the year unfold ... We all know that Lycett will have fallen off the cliff by round 15.

homer simpson interview GIF

Well, this board had:

1] Williams - gone this year
2] Ollie Lord - not AFL standard
3] Byrne-Jones - shot to the moon
4] And lets not mention Mac & Cheese!

Q: Is Teakle really ready for AFL?
A: No - he needs another year or two, with the odd Power fill-in game

Q: Is he as bad as folk here are making out?

Q: Is he that much worse than Lycett?
A: Absolutely not! Lycett is a terrible ruckman! The only thing that he has over Teakle is his brute strength.

That said, I think we made the right call playing Lycett against the Grundy/Gawn combo, his strength was his best weapon. They need to keep developing Teakle in the 2's if they intend to mark him as a ruckman ... lets at least see what he has.

I would be quite happy to see Visentini get a game as the year unfold ... We all know that Lycett will have fallen off the cliff by round 15.
A-no hes not ready and no he wont make it.. too slow in mind, plays at the lower level pace

A-hes as bad a ruckman as we have had at this club, he was pantsed by almost every opponent. bailey williams got hold of him? hes been saved by our brilliant midfield and by how well we have played over the last 7 weeks

A- if lycett plays like friday night hes miles ahead of teakle, if he plays like he did in the first 3 rounds then no they are both as bad as each other

A-no hes not ready and no he wont make it.. too slow in mind, plays at the lower level pace

A-hes as bad a ruckman as we have had at this club, he was pantsed by almost every opponent. bailey williams got hold of him? hes been saved by our brilliant midfield and by how well we have played over the last 7 weeks

A- if lycett plays like friday night hes miles ahead of teakle, if he plays like he did in the first 3 rounds then no they are both as bad as each other
That's your opinion pal, like ****holes, we all have them.

IMO, he has potential, but is just not ready. To wipe him off too early though, lumps you in the same barrel as the armchair experts that wiped off those players mentioned, as spuds. Lycett is bigger stronger, and much more experienced than him, of course if he plays his best, he is superior. That is a given, problem is, he cant jump, and his "best" tapers off very quickly.

If Teakle gets the proper development & still doesnt make it I will gladly eat humble pie.

IMO, he has potential, but is just not ready. To wipe him off too early though, lumps you in the same barrel as the armchair experts that wiped off those players mentioned, as spuds. Lycett is bigger stronger, and much more experienced than him, of course if he plays his best, he is superior. That is a given, problem is, he cant jump, and his "best" tapers off very quickly.

If Teakle gets the proper development & still doesnt make it I will gladly eat humble pie.
I really hope you are right about Teakle. I haven't written him off just yet either and do hope he makes it.

There is a bit of a difference between him and the other players you've listed though:
1] Williams - elite level footy nous at one time considered likely to be a top 5 draft pick. We always knew he could seriously play, the questions were all on whether he could get his tank up to a professional level.
2] Ollie Lord - elite level size and height for a KPF.
3] Byrne-Jones - had an AA gong and we knew his best was elite
4] And lets not mention Mac & Cheese! - plays a role where being elite doesn't matter as much, small pressure forwards are largely interchangeable as long as you have at least one that can kick goals.

Teakle is playing in one of the most important positions on the ground, yet so far hasn't really shown any elite level quality that indicates a high ceiling. It feels like we are just hoping he can get to a serviceable level in the role.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

... It feels like we are just hoping he can get to a serviceable level in the role.
Honestly, that is all I am expecting and hoping from him ... To be our second backup ruck. I dont expect him to be an elite first ruckman, If Hayes fails, then Visentini is the man. All I am doing is defending the rhetoric that Teakle "is the worst person to ever wear a Port jumper - Delist!"

He hasnt been developed as a ruckman this year, and was thrown to the wolves. Just give him a decent go! IMO he can become the second chop-out ruck/utilty player.

Honestly, that is all I am expecting and hoping from him ... To be our second backup ruck. I dont expect him to be an elite first ruckman, If Hayes fails, then Visentini is the man. All I am doing is defending the rhetoric that Teakle "is the worst person to ever wear a Port jumper - Delist!"

He hasnt been developed as a ruckman this year, and was thrown to the wolves. Just give him a decent go! IMO he can become the second chop-out ruck/utilty player.
Yep which is fair.

I think with good list management though you should usually be giving games to either:
1. Someone with the potential to become elite
2. Someone who is already serviceable

So really we should have a ruck playing that fits one of those categories, and Brynn should be learning his craft in the SANFL and seeing if he can get in to one of those categories. That isn't Brynn's problem though, its a list management problem.

not sure if you have realised but its an opinion based forum.

we can agree to disagree on this one, but he aint gunna make it ;)

Yep which is fair.

I think with good list management though you should usually be giving games to either:
1. Someone with the potential to become elite
2. Someone who is already serviceable

So really we should have a ruck playing that fits one of those categories, and Brynn should be learning his craft in the SANFL and seeing if he can get in to one of those categories. That isn't Brynn's problem though, its a list management problem.

Number 1 is why I would prefer Burgoyne, Sinn or Lachie Jones ahead of McEntee.

Very agile & athletic for a big man, but has a very low footy IQ for a ruckman. No harm in trialling him down back for a month in the 2s to see whether there is something worth salvaging.

A few 1 on 1 sessions in the ring with Chad would probably do him a world of good as well.

not sure if you have realised but its an opinion based forum.

we can agree to disagree on this one, but he aint gunna make it ;)
Absolutely, but its a public forum, and as you know, bad opinions get called out.

Will be fun watching this play out. We can accuse Bigfooty of a many things, but one thing it does have is a good memory! I am sure one of us will be bringing up this discussion in the next year or so. ;)

Have always thought that people should lay off going so hard maybe until people are twenty two or twenty two games (I call it my twenty two rule and sometimes you see it in life where twenty two is where things change for people - just an old man life observation).

Yeah apologies for the pop pysch o bable and it is a written internetz forum but maybe if people focused on the behaviour rather than the person I might be a bit more comfortable... the worst blah blah doesn't sit well with me.

Anyways on with the show.

Very agile & athletic for a big man, but has a very low footy IQ for a ruckman. No harm in trialling him down back for a month in the 2s to see whether there is something worth salvaging.

A few 1 on 1 sessions in the ring with Chad would probably do him a world of good as well.

I don't know where this talk of low footy IQ is coming from? I haven't seen anything in his decision making or positioning to make that judgement.

The only thing I'd say is that his ruckwork has been relatively "low IQ" in the sense that he didn't really try anything else when he was getting beaten badly. Let's not forget though that he's an incredibly inexperienced ruckman - very limited games even at state and junior level etc.

His competitiveness is an issue for me - seems to be coasting a little, which is different to how he started his first game. Need to unlock that again, and that will make up for some of his other shortcomings.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back