Brendon Ah Chee

Remove this Banner Ad

All far more consistent players than Ah Chee, and all in vastly different roles.

Look at Sam Gray for an example of someone who got the same opportunities as Ah Chee until he became consistently good.

Honestly I’m not sure in what way Ah Chee was more accomplished in his time here than any of those players. Yeah he had 3-4 great games, but a higher number of absolute shockers along with numerous average performances.

Carn. O’Shea was a vastly better player than Ah Chee outside of his 2016, and even his 2016 was about equal to Brendan’s.

He was a more reliable player than any of them, especially in front of goal.

Ah Chee was also up against the likes of a prime Travis Boak, Wines, Cornes, Cassisi, Ebert and SPP in his final year at the club. Those other players don't have that same excuse.

Big call to say that O'Shea was that better than Ah Chee. Sure, O'Shea's best was solid but his worst was absolutely atrocious. At least Ah Chee didn't have such a significant gap between his best and worst, and at least he never single-handily cost us any games.

He had enough chances !!
The relevant word is "competing". He was well down the pecking order for a half-forward or midfield spot and was in that no-mans land where he only came in to replace an injured player and was first out. He also got a bit of a tough run with players like White, Mitchell and Young continually preferred over him.

All far more consistent players than Ah Chee, and all in vastly different roles.

Look at Sam Gray for an example of someone who got the same opportunities as Ah Chee until he became consistently good.

Honestly I’m not sure in what way Ah Chee was more accomplished in his time here than any of those players. Yeah he had 3-4 great games, but a higher number of absolute shockers along with numerous average performances.

Carn. O’Shea was a vastly better player than Ah Chee outside of his 2016, and even his 2016 was about equal to Brendan’s.

i would argue that Sam Gray had more opportunity than Ah Chee but that's a perception thing as i'm admittedly not his greatest fan.

on the other hand, O'Shea's 2016 only has one memory and that was a no-look handball over the head eyes closed

O’Shea can hang his hat on about 10-15 good games. The rest were a combination of very average performances and absolute nightmares. It defies belief that he almost cracked the ton with us.

O'Shea was very good in 2013. Just never really put it all together after that. Wasted talent I reckon.

O'Shea was very good in 2013. Just never really put it all together after that. Wasted talent I reckon.

He always struck me as the classic athlete before footballer type. I was surprised he played as many good games as he did back then, so I wasn’t surprised when it all turned out to be a flash in the pan.

On the other hand I think Ah Chee will do very well at West Coast and whilst he may not surpass O’Shea’s games tally (due to the massive head start we gave him and the terrible Carlton outfit he’s found himself at) he may very well prove to be the better player.

Not that it matters to us either way now.

O'Shea, Impey and Kane Mitchell
All far more consistent players than Ah Chee
Seriously what?

O'Shea had two consistent years but even his biggest fan would admit that he struggled with form in '15 and '16. Mitchell was super consistent at SANFL level but was delisted because he couldn't be consistently relied upon to perform as an AFL player. As for Impey, well, his most consistent form was in the back half of last year when he was consistently awful.

Ah Chee wasn't super reliable or consistent, but he clearly wasn't 'far' less consistent than the aforementioned players.

Dont really want to beat a dead horse but he averaged 16 possessions and 1.5 goals a game last season, and that was playing him out of position and basically setting him up to go be a one and done at AFL.

I still maintain that he should have taken Sam Gray's role because he outperformed him in those few games with the biggest difference being that we actually needed Ah Chee's good skills (whilst Gray contributed significantly to many wasted opportunites).

The relevant word is "competing". He was well down the pecking order for a half-forward or midfield spot and was in that no-mans land where he only came in to replace an injured player and was first out. He also got a bit of a tough run with players like White, Mitchell and Young continually preferred over him.
He had good games for the magpies but just couldn’t bring it to AFL. Saw a bit in China but hey look at the opposition. Struggled to put two good games together.

A lot of belly aching over a guy who couldn't even get to the lofty heights of Aaron Young

Dont really want to beat a dead horse but he averaged 16 possessions and 1.5 goals a game last season, and that was playing him out of position and basically setting him up to go be a one and done at AFL.

I still maintain that he should have taken Sam Gray's role because he outperformed him in those few games with the biggest difference being that we actually needed Ah Chee's good skills (whilst Gray contributed significantly to many wasted opportunites).

That twilight zoney end to 2015 where the team suddenly got its s**t together and looked a million bucks - including the win against the Hawks at Etihad when 10/1 underdogs - with Ah Chee and Gray both resembling very good onballers.

And then...

*~^verbal_kint.gif^~*

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That twilight zoney end to 2015 where the team suddenly got its s**t together and looked a million bucks - including the win against the Hawks at Etihad when 10/1 underdogs - with Ah Chee and Gray both resembling very good onballers.

And then...

*~^verbal_kint.gif^~*
going down by 8pts to Sydney but Ah chee gets 3 brownlow votes in one of his first games as a non sub player

This is the only game he got brownlow votes in and it was 3, but it was a win against GWS. It was a week before the Hawks game at Docklands in 2015.

https://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/2015/132120150815.html
Arch scored a screamer and three votes at Adelaide Oval vs GWS with the half-dozen or so potato farmers looking on as special VIP guests. Arch therefore deserves credit for our China Strategy leapfrogging from stage three to stage twenty-three.

Cheers mate... I had the game playing on my iPad while I was at work, I haven’t watched it in any great detail!

I remember one strong lead up mark on the HFF, a scrubbed kick out of D50 that went about 75 degrees off the side of the boot and a beastly don't argue.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back