Player Watch Brayden Cook

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought second year blues means a player who broke out in his first year but regressed in his second. That doesn't really apply to Cook.
Very few players breakout year 1 .....Cook showed promise in 2021, started 2022 OK ....but really didn't develop & his defensive actions saw him dropped

Never going to be a high possession player .....but has the ability to turn games & be really impactful

Where's his ultimate AFL position ? .....I thought Wing ? .....undecided now

In that pic to me I see a bit of Patty Cripps in that photo maybe it's just the dark navy clothing and the golden locks but can you imagine Cripps 2.0? There is something cooking as his bigger than I've seen him before.
To me has more of the Pendlebury's than Crips, nice little side step that sems to be able to find time and space. I think he's a bit of a slow burn but could something.

Very few players breakout year 1 .....Cook showed promise in 2021, started 2022 OK ....but really didn't develop & his defensive actions saw him dropped

Never going to be a high possession player .....but has the ability to turn games & be really impactful

I felt half forward. He is a similar body type and player to troy menzel.

Definitely see him on the wing.

Where are you thinking?

Cook in 2022, typical 2nd year blues ......Brad Johnson raves about Cook, I do as well .....just going thru the AFL education, he'll be fine, and is all class
Yep Brad Johnson loves him and is a decent judge !

It all comes down to one thing with Cook - competitiveness

If he can hit the min level of competitiveness required for AFL at worst then he’s going to be such a valuable addition with his other traits which are things we lack

On his 2021 competiveness levels he won’t make it but the way he’s built his body up I think he will attack contests with more vigour which will result in much better performances

It’s such an important year for him , we need him and I hope he can do it

I wonder if he’s worth a shot at half back at some point as we need someone with his traits out of there to make us more attacking

I’d give him a go or Milera another go back there

If he's playing between the arcs (wing) he will be dropping back when needed, like he's done in the SANFL.

Hopefully with his breathing issues fixed he can build up the tank to stay involved in the game for longer.
He's one the young guys on our list that I'm really excited about.
Breathing issues?

I'd like to see Cook on a wing. We need to develop one anyway as we're unlikely to ever get Seed back and Dawson is trapped in the backline 🤦‍♂️

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep Brad Johnson loves him and is a decent judge !

It all comes down to one thing with Cook - competitiveness

If he can hit the min level of competitiveness required for AFL at worst then he’s going to be such a valuable addition with his other traits which are things we lack

On his 2021 competiveness levels he won’t make it but the way he’s built his body up I think he will attack contests with more vigour which will result in much better performances

It’s such an important year for him , we need him and I hope he can do it
It’s funny that McHenry has everything Cook lacks and Cook has everything McHenry lacks. Cook has a far higher ceiling than McHenry, but time will tell if he plays more AFL games.

He’s going to have a hard time breaking into the team at half forward, which I think is his best position. One thing for sure is that he has the talent. There’s a ton of players with half his talent that have gone on to great AFL careers.

It’s funny that McHenry has everything Cook lacks and Cook has everything McHenry lacks. Cook has a far higher ceiling than McHenry, but time will tell if he plays more AFL games.

He’s going to have a hard time breaking into the team at half forward, which I think is his best position. One thing for sure is that he has the talent. There’s a ton of players with half his talent that have gone on to great AFL careers.
Very true

Cook's skills and pace combined with McHenry's work rate would be a player.

He seems like an okay dude. I feel bad that I always mix him up with David King.
I feel bad for you if you always mix David King up with BJ. The retired doggie I quite like hand on heart I cannot say the same for D King.

Yep. Reality is, unless he develops physically and hardens up, he won’t make it.
From what he was assigned to do in the SANFL I think the club sees his tank as the biggest issue. Clagged sinus probably wasnt helping. He is one of two players I can clearly recall that emphatically seemed to be running up and down the whole length of the ground the whole game (Hately was the other one I clearly remember doing this, I reckon Newchurch was doing it a bit too).

I don't think the club will ever complain about players going harder but I think they often communicate what they want done by the assignments they give to players in the SANFL when it stands out like the proverbial and his was tank.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back