Player Watch Brayden Cook

Remove this Banner Ad

Thought Cook was pretty ordinary honestly. People are grading him on a curve because they haven't seen much of him yet which always happens on this board. Not much to lose giving him some more games and he's only 21, but I'm not expecting a huge amount at this point.

Thought Cook was pretty ordinary honestly. People are grading him on a curve because they haven't seen much of him yet which always happens on this board. Not much to lose giving him some more games and he's only 21, but I'm not expecting a huge amount at this point.
His first qtr was good, then he disappeared. Was that because of him, being on the bench or change in position?

His first qtr was good, then he disappeared. Was that because of him, being on the bench or change in position?
I think it's mostly him. His game last night had a similar sort of problem to McHenry where he clearly has some skills and can do some nice things but goes missing for long periods and at this point is not making the sort of composed decisions you want from a skilled player who is meant to be delivering the ball. Sholl certainly would have done more if we're just talking about that wing role.

Cook's other strength is as a potential forward target which I think is why he got a game as they are clearly looking for another forward option, and they went to Dawson and some others later in the game instead, which is probably part of why Cook spent a lot of time on the bench. Might also be some fitness issues there, who knows.

Hopefully he'll get a few more games.

I think it's mostly him. His game last night had a similar sort of problem to McHenry where he clearly has some skills and can do some nice things but goes missing for long periods and at this point is not making the sort of composed decisions you want from a skilled player who is meant to be delivering the ball. Sholl certainly would have done more if we're just talking about that wing role.

Cook's other strength is as a potential forward target which I think is why he got a game as they are clearly looking for another forward option, and they went to Dawson and some others later in the game instead, which is probably part of why Cook spent a lot of time on the bench. Might also be some fitness issues there, who knows.

But he played just over half the game, why?

Reckon that’s harsh when only on the ground for half the game . Hard to not go missing when the coach benches you! Another baffling decision from Nick s given his strong early impact

Thought he looked good early. Was finding space and using the ball well
Then a long session getting splinters in his arse
Baffling coaching.

On SM-A115F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Started well.

Wasn't good to be a forward in the 2nd quarter either as ball was living in the Dews forward line.

Then lots of bench time.

Clearly a classy played who just needs to learn to get more of the ball.

The sort of player we need to give a good run of games too to see whether he has it.

To be fair to Cook, he spent 46% of the game off the ground for some reason, so it wasn't like he just went missing, he wasn't even on the park.

To be fair to Cook, he spent 46% of the game off the ground for some reason, so it wasn't like he just went missing, he wasn't even on the park.
Coached forgot they selected him...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At one stage in the first qtr he got the ball just backwards of centre wing on the outer side, Tex called for it about 60-65m way and May was about 55m away.
Unfortunately Tex just stood there and called for it over the back to which Brayden kicked it there unfortunately May marked it.
The wrong choice by Brayden but silly by Tex to call for it when May had the perfect spot.

I’ve seen Brayden with a big leg plenty of times and he can let go a 70m barrel when he wants to.

Q1 was good with Cook on the wing

He gave us a bit of shape around the contest.

After that he played mostly bench or up forward. Wasn't as effective there. Bobbed up a couple of times.

Him and Nankervis are our wingmen I tell you. Both can take a grab, decent kicks, difficult match ups.

Jones has some good qualities but I don't think he's best served playing wing. He's not an outside player at all.

After that he played mostly bench or up forward. Wasn't as effective there. Bobbed up a couple of times.

Him and Nankervis are our wingmen I tell you. Both can take a grab, decent kicks, difficult match ups.

Jones has some good qualities but I don't think he's best served playing wing. He's not an outside player at all.
I don't mind Jones being the halfback. Fast, goes hard. Needs a license to attack the contest.

Cook and Nankervis give us some height and marking power across centre, god knows we need it.
Both have good evasive skills and an attacking mindset, I hope we stick with them as it gives the team some more size and balance that we need.

Cook and Nankervis give us some height and marking power across centre, god knows we need it.
Both have good evasive skills and an attacking mindset, I hope we stick with them as it gives the team some more size and balance that we need.
And our Crouch & Laird-combo loving coaches don't seem to realise that adding some outside polish that makes our dynamic duo more effective.

We can have Crouch & Laird both rotating through the middle if there's run, long kicking, rebound from our wings and half back line, complementing the inside work they do.

And our Crouch & Laird-combo loving coaches don't seem to realise that adding some outside polish that makes our dynamic duo more effective.

We can have Crouch & Laird both rotating through the middle if there's run, long kicking, rebound from our wings and half back line, complementing the inside work they do.
A much better wing combo compared to Jones and Sholl.
But it's time to rip the bandaid off with Laird and Crouch. I don't want to see either in the midfield again.
Laird back pocket and Crouch back to sanfl.
It's way overdue for a midfield of Dawson, Rankine, Soligo, Rachele, Dowling and Pedlar ( when some form returns) and maybe Berry and Shoenberg

Just play the bloke! he has all the skills to lift his game to the level.
His talent is obvious ffs.
Imagine having his skills and torching spuds at training only to see them get games.

Looked like he copped a bit of a stinger to his taped shoulder early (2nd quarter I think) in the game. Might be the reason he spent so much time off the ground.

Seemed to do quite well pushing up the ground, whilst still being able to have an impact in front of goal

There’s a player here for sure, hopefully he can back it up against some quality oppo in the coming weeks

Seemed to do quite well pushing up the ground, whilst still being able to have an impact in front of goal

There’s a player here for sure, hopefully he can back it up against some quality oppo in the coming weeks

Not much opportunity to challenge the notion he’s a low intensity, uncompetitive type against the Arden St witches hats though

That’s not his fault, but he needs to bring something against proper opposition

He's a fwd.....not a wingman.

The part that's always been missing is that pressure, and he looked like he was applying pressure. Repeat efforts.

He still needs to go see a wrestling coach in the off-season to strengthen his tackling

Of his 3 goals, they were a nice variety.

1 long-range goal
1 soccer (goal sneak)
1 Mark inside 50. Slight angle

Nice patch of games against much better opposition coming up. Would like to see if he can back this performance up.

On SM-S928B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back