Player Watch Brayden Cook

Remove this Banner Ad

He's a fwd.....not a wingman.

The part that's always been missing is that pressure, and he looked like he was applying pressure. Repeat efforts.

He still needs to go see a wrestling coach in the off-season to strengthen his tackling

Of his 3 goals, they were a nice variety.

1 long-range goal
1 soccer (goal sneak)
1 Mark inside 50. Slight angle

Nice patch of games against much better opposition coming up. Would like to see if he can back this performance up.

On SM-S928B using BigFooty.com mobile app
This comes back to our development.
They have played Cook on the wing and half back for 3 years in the sanfl and wonder why he hasn't come on.
Now we are playing Curtin at full back instead of around the ball.
Like how we tried Fogarty at CHB in the sanfl.
You just shake your head with some of the stupid stuff they do and they wonder why our young players lose confidence

They have played Cook on the wing and half back for 3 years in the sanfl and wonder why he hasn't come on.
You just shake your head with some of the stupid stuff they do and they wonder why our young players lose confidence
There’s nothing wrong with trying kids in various position. This is the nature of our game these days. The main thing is that you want to see continual improvement, and I think we’re seeing that in Cook. Sure the opposition wasn’t great, but he showed the confidence he belong this round. He’s a natural footballer, that needs more opportunities for sure.

There’s nothing wrong with trying kids in various position. This is the nature of our game these days. The main thing is that you want to see continual improvement, and I think we’re seeing that in Cook. Sure the opposition wasn’t great, but he showed the confidence he belong this round. He’s a natural footballer, that needs more opportunities for sure.
You’re back John, we must have won

Was his game really that good?

Can’t get carried away with the three goals given two were literally handed to him by North.

Can’t get carried away with the three goals given two were literally handed to him by North.
It was not amazing but it was a meaningful improvement, I'd say. Happy to see him doing a bit of chasing and getting a little more of the ball. Plus the first goal was a cracker, though obviously we already knew he was a nice kick. Should be enough to get him a few more games as I think he'd have been fairly close to being omitted after the Essendon game.

Needs to be given a minimum of the next few games as we need to give him continuity to see if he can play in the final year of his current contract.

I think he can. The opposition wasn't great but the signs are there.

Have you watched any SANFL live in the last four years?

In 2021 Brayden played most matches as a forward. He averaged 11.5 disposals and kicked 9 goals in 13 matches.

In 2022 he started as a forward but once again struggled to find the ball after the first month of the season. He was moved to half back for 3-4 matches but was ultimately played the rest of the season as a high half forward or on the wing. He averaged 14 disposals over 14 matches and kicked 6 goals.

Last year Brayden played a combination of high half forward and on the wing. In the second half of the season and in the SANFL finals he played almost exclusively as a forward. Across 19 games he averaged 16 disposals and kicked 19 goals (a world record for a half back flanker 🙄).

In his one SANFL game this year he played on the wing against the Panthers (hint; check out where he is standing when there is a centre bounce.

So in nearly 50 SANFL games he has played as a defender on about 4 occasions.

It’s an urban myth that we have been playing as a defender for more than 3 years in the SANFL.

It was a game of AFL standard. 3 goals is already a pass mark as a forward, but what stood out more in this particular game was his defensive pressure. I think at one stage, there were 3 consecutive pressure acts with the chasing and tackling of some opponents and he looked gassed after. That chain of pressure acts was more valuable than a goal IMO.

In just a few games, he’s already shown to me more skills than McHenry and Murphy as a forward. If he can keep improving his fitness, he’ll surpass them by a fair margin as a forward.

Have you watched any SANFL live in the last four years?

In 2021 Brayden played most matches as a forward. He averaged 11.5 disposals and kicked 9 goals in 13 matches.

In 2022 he started as a forward but once again struggled to find the ball after the first month of the season. He was moved to half back for 3-4 matches but was ultimately played the rest of the season as a high half forward or on the wing. He averaged 14 disposals over 14 matches and kicked 6 goals.

Last year Brayden played a combination of high half forward and on the wing. In the second half of the season and in the SANFL finals he played almost exclusively as a forward. Across 19 games he averaged 16 disposals and kicked 19 goals (a world record for a half back flanker 🙄).

In his one SANFL game this year he played on the wing against the Panthers (hint; check out where he is standing when there is a centre bounce.

So in nearly 50 SANFL games he has played as a defender on about 4 occasions.

It’s an urban myth that we have been playing as a defender for more than 3 years in the SANFL.
That was a good update! I think a lot of BF regulars don’t watch much SANFL, myself included. He definitely looks better suited up forward as he’s got a good goal sense and can take some nice grabs too.

I remember likening him to a Steve Johnson from the Cats. Similar sort of
size with some freakish X factor about them. Probably a bit too optimistic with the analogy but Cook definitely has the game to be an AFL regular. Just now needs to find the fitness and consistency.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was a game of AFL standard. 3 goals is already a pass mark as a forward, but what stood out more in this particular game was his defensive pressure. I think at one stage, there were 3 consecutive pressure acts with the chasing and tackling of some opponents and he looked gassed after. That chain of pressure acts was more valuable than a goal IMO.

In just a few games, he’s already shown to me more skills than McHenry and Murphy as a forward. If he can keep improving his fitness, he’ll surpass them by a fair margin as a forward.

As opposed to those two players mentioned running around like headless chooks.

That was a good update! I think a lot of BF regulars don’t watch much SANFL, myself included. He definitely looks better suited up forward as he’s got a good goal sense and can take some nice grabs too.

I remember likening him to a Steve Johnson from the Cats. Similar sort of
size with some freakish X factor about them. Probably a bit too optimistic with the analogy but Cook definitely has the game to be an AFL regular. Just now needs to find the fitness and consistency.
We really need him to step up this year and yesterday was a good start. Goals are great but his defensive pressure was more important. In his three previous games in the AFL he averaged less than 8 disposals per game, 2 tackles per game and kicked one goal.

Was yesterday a false dawn against a clueless opposition or a break through game for Brayden. His key problem over the last three years was his inability to be in the right spot. As a wingman or a half forward he runs plenty of Kms but is rarely where the ball is. When he is in the general vicinity of the ball he wins it more often than not. I will watch him closely on Thursday night and hopefully this week is the start of a very bright future.

I am absolutely sure he has a high level of skills.
My example will blind you with accuracies and details! A couple of games ago - might have been the Carlton game - I particularly noted a beautiful pass out of a minute of chaos play that hit McHenry (I think) on the chest right in front of goal. And I loved his confident long shot yesterday.
He just has to do more! I have a dream he will grow into a Jack Gunston copy!

I am absolutely sure he has a high level of skills.
My example will blind you with accuracies and details! A couple of games ago - might have been the Carlton game - I particularly noted a beautiful pass out of a minute of chaos play that hit McHenry (I think) on the chest right in front of goal. And I loved his confident long shot yesterday.
He just has to do more! I have a dream he will grow into a Jack Gunston copy!

He’s very talented. No doubt

Nah, that's the wrong take in regards to both Cook and Curtin. Right for Fogarty seeing that's just panic - but then Fog did suffer from being seen as someone who didn't have an obvious best position at AFL level, so it wasn't wholly unexpected but the coaching staff should have been more patient there.

Half forward to wing are near identitcal in terms of skillets needed with wing being the (slightly) easier position to find success in and half forward having less value to a team. Equally to the point, Cook came to us as a lad who really didn't have an obvious best 22 position. Cook not making it there is just a case of Cook not being well rounded enough of a player to make the position work compared to other prospects on our list - and being overtaken by Nankervis should ring alarm bells to anyone about Cooks long term future at Adelaide. After all, he's all but flubbed a rather common pathway for prospects to take. Now hopefully he makes it as a forward, but it's firmly the last-chance saloon for Brayden.

It's the wrong take for Curtin for three reasons. One, he spent most of his U18 year as a half back/rebounder and seeing this kind of skillset has a lot of value for teams, this is the kind of role to settle him down for his first 40-50 games - especially as it does make the most of his kicking skills. Two, CHB was seen as the available position coming into the year which does fit Curtin skillset rather well as a rebounder - after all, teams will carry a guy who's suspect one-on-one in this role if they're getting value with intercepts/ball use. The thing is, if you want your best prospects to be playing, you have to find a spot to make it work. Three, Curtin is 2-3 years away from playing on-ball at an AFL level and for his development, he needs a best 22 spot as quickly as possible. Now, we probably go the half back flank path in hindsight, but the only reason is Keane has now well and truly locked down the CHB role for the forseeable future - which arguably only happens due to Curtin foot injury.

It's worth noting, Curtin becomes a better midfielder playing CHB at AFL level then on-ball in the SANFL because fundamentally, inside midfield is just a talent check, with every other position building up a skillset that would work on the inside of the contest. After all, football has become quite homogenised when it comes to positions. Equally, the AFL time is just too valuable as it allows a player to stress test their game in the first few years whilst their body catches up to where it's needed to be.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back