Toast Brad Ebert a true warrior

Remove this Banner Ad

love brad he tried hard but seriously does he deserve a thread?

When you have played 260 AFL games including 181 for Port you will deserve a thread of your own.

A player retiring at 30 due to recurrent head injuries is worthy of comment.

Last edited:
Fitting his last act was desperate act of courage.
We'll miss him more than we know. He was huge last night and deserved a flag for what he has given the club over the years.
So utterly heartbreaking he won't get to experience the top of the mountain.

That was tough to see. Pretty clear he's called it quits. Hope he has no long term damage.

View attachment 987525

mate slides next to me as he’s being helped to his feet and has the staggers, and says “he has just killed himself for our club”.

those ten seconds of preventing an ugly cry in public were a rollercoaster.

Gutted that he went out that way. Played a blinder. Will forever be a Port Adelaide hero

If 21 other players played like him, we’d be playing next week

Gutsy

Ebert leaving the game the way he did reflects exactly how he played the game. He gave 110% until the end.

Is he the first Ebert to not win a premiership with Port?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lachie Jones?
tenor.gif

Ebert leaving the game the way he did reflects exactly how he played the game. He gave 110% until the end.

Is he the first Ebert to not win a premiership with Port?

From memory I do not think Russell's brother Jeff won a League Premiership and in 2004 Brett played 16 games but did not play in the AFL Grand Final. Brad's father Craig played in the 1984 GF loss to Norwood and left Port at the end of 1988. I do not think he played in the '88 Grand Final.

If you are counting playing in a Premiership as being selected in the victorious Grand Final side then Russell is probably the only Ebert to play in a Port Premiership.

Round 1 next year 50k need to give this man a standing ovation as he gets chaperoned around the ground.

Riewoldt is one the strongest aerialists I've seen. It's the final minutes of a preliminary. He knew McKenzie would be in trouble 1v1

The ball was in the air for a long ass time. Brad had to have known all of the above. His act wasn't instinctive bravery putting himself in a spot in a split second. It was a *choice*.

Given his history - the fact he made a conscious decision is just about the most selfless act I can recall on a football field. Literally putting his future on the line for his teammates and fans.

Needs to be the moment played over and over again to remember this s**t is fleeting and there are past players that would sacrafice just about anything for the club. That this is the expectation when playing for Port Adelaide.

From memory I do not think Russell's brother Jeff won a League Premiership and in 2004 Brett played 16 games but did not play in the AFL Grand Final. Brad's father Craig played in the 1984 GF loss to Norwood and left Port at the end of 1988. I do not think he played in the '88 Grand Final.

If you are counting playing in a Premiership as being selected in the victorious Grand Final side then Russell is probably the only Ebert to play in a Port Premiership.
I have to say some of you guys are unreal with your recollection of past history/players . I have trouble remembering what I did yesterday

I have to say some of you guys are unreal with your recollection of past history/players . I have trouble remembering what I did yesterday

Wikipedia and Footywire help fill in the gaps. It is amazing the fine detail you forget. I looked up some old PAFC Annual Reports and find that Brad's father Craig played in Port's Reserves Premiership in 1980. At least he is in the Premiership photo and he didn't play a League game that year.

There have been Ebert's playing for Port off and on since 1968 when Fritzy Freeman toured England with Ashes cricket side. We thought we would struggle without Fritzy at full forward but they had plucked some unknown kid from out of the Riverland and the rest is history. I hope Brad and Brett have some off spring to carry the name on at Port.

Of course Russell still has some involvement with the Club and hopefully someone will find a role for Brad.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back