Toast Brad Ebert a true warrior

Remove this Banner Ad

So is Scott Lycett (AFL list) and Tom Corcoran (SANFL list) our last 2 SANFL zone players left?

We've also got 3 players who are sons of players, Jackson Mead, Trent Burgoyne (both AFL), and Adam Mahney (SANFL), on our list too.

Don't know why but it hit me harder than the loss on the night and still does 48 hours later.

I think it's because at the end of the day, footy is a game, no matter how hard you barrack or how obsessed you might be, it's still just a game. What Ebert did, and has to go through for the rest of his life for the good of the club is bigger than football.

I remember at the game that last bit of play where he came back and got to the ball, did the spoil, yelled out and said well did Ebo and stood up and applauded and saw some guys in front of me were also applauding. I looked up at the screen continuing to applaud for a few seconds to watch the replay and then saw that he was down and out and looked around and others all around me were standing and applauding. It wasn't until he had been carried about 30m by the doc and trainer that it dawned on me the whole stadium was up applauding Brad not not just for the individual bit of play but we all knew it was his last time on the field as a player and it was applauds for his career.

It was a great response from the crowd, and I know Brad didn't want it to be the way he wanted to come off, but we should have called for a stretcher. We were down a player and umpires recommenced play and he was only half way to the bench.

Had a very good game. Gave it his all. Did a great job at half back after Burton was forced off with injury.

A warrior to the end. Hope he doesn't have issues from all head knocks over the years.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought Friday was his best for the club and that he reinvented himself as an intercepting defender.

I wonder whether after a year off he could try one more time. He would be a delisted free agent so we could list him for free and if Stewy Dew can make a comeback after a year spent eating donuts, Brad could easily make his way back (maybe as Magpie captain first).

Health wise he must take 2021 off but I cannot believe he doesn’t have more footy in him.

Brad Ebert retirement press conference - 19 October 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Back