Toast Brad Ebert a true warrior

Remove this Banner Ad

Who were they ? I didn't notice on the night.

There were three. Jack Riewoldt and Marlion Pickett were two of them, can't remember the third.

From memory I do not think Russell's brother Jeff won a League Premiership and in 2004 Brett played 16 games but did not play in the AFL Grand Final. Brad's father Craig played in the 1984 GF loss to Norwood and left Port at the end of 1988. I do not think he played in the '88 Grand Final.

If you are counting playing in a Premiership as being selected in the victorious Grand Final side then Russell is probably the only Ebert to play in a Port Premiership.

Well there you go... I didn't recall Brett missing the 04 flag... was sure he was there... but then again I have the memory of a headless goldfish.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We will remember Brad's last act on a footy field as one of courage and selflessness, so typical of the man 🥇👍

And that's as it should be remembered too.

Poor disposal at times aside, was always one of our best two way gut runners, did the dirty jobs others didn't want, and put team ahead of personal ego.

Enjoy retirement mate.

We never really hand particular guernseys over though, do we? It is almost exclusively done on seniority. Guys generally want to make the number their own.

Nothing but respect for an absolutely courageous warrior. That final act of bravery was absolutely amazing to see. A lesser player would have been stretchered off but then again wouldn’t have put himself in harms way. Was inspiring watching him helped from the ground. He was one of the toughest but fairest players I’ve seen.

We never really hand particular guernseys over though, do we? It is almost exclusively done on seniority. Guys generally want to make the number their own.
It happened last year with Todd Marshall going into the number 4 from Paddy Ryder who he was very close with, but yeah vacant numbers are nearly always filled via the draft.

Warrior is the perfect word for him. Every time he took to the field he gave everything for his team mates and the game. Off-field he was just a lovely guy, unassuming, no ego. While we'll miss him on the field, I'm relieved that he has retired for his and his family's sake. The spontaneous chant that went through the crowd on Friday night was spine-tingling and emotional and just showed how well regarded and loved he is amongst our supporters.:hearts::disrelieved:

Shouldn't just be given out to anyone, its a special number and should be reserved for a special player.

Photos of Nathan Burke handing his #3 to Xavier Clarke and Tredders handing his #16 to Ben Jacobs will be presented to anyone who thinks this is hollow sentiment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back