Best player from the 2016 Draft?

Best player from the 2016 Draft?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Looks like a clear top 3 of Stewart, Bolton and English in this draft. Stewart has the accolades, Bolton has the crazy X-factor and English could very easily be the league's most valuable player for the next few years.

Taranto shouldn’t be clearly away from that group. Top 5 inside mid in the comp, kicked 12 goals in last 8 weeks, his kicking isn’t great but Richmond won 3 flags using a move the ball forwards at any means necessary tactic, and he does that brilliantly.

Slowly developing into an excellent draft year

My take on a best 22
B: Stewart, Logue, Battle
HB: Ridley, Ryan, McGrath
C: J.Daicos, Simpkin, McCluggage
HF: Lipinski, Larkey, Rioli
F: Ainsworth, T.Marshall, Powell-Pepper
Foll: English, Taranto, Bolton
Bench: S.Darcy, D.Cameron
+ 2 of Setterfield, Berry, Hayward, Florent, Rataguloea, B.Cox, Perryman, Graham, Drew

Nothing wrong with Mitch Lewis either who could easily end up the best forward of that lot by end of his career.

Others: Witherden, Long, Fisher, Parfitt, Scrimshaw, Bowes, Rotham, Hannan, L.Young, E.Himmelberg, SPS, Waterman

Premierships: Graham (2), Bolton (2), Stewart, Rioli, Parfitt, Venables
Captains: Simpkin
B&F: Simpkin (2), Stewart, Ridley, Darcy, Ryan, Taranto
AA: Stewart (4), Ryan, Bolton

You’ve got Daicos, English and Darcy as a possible to be AA this year, plus Stewart, English, Larkey, Taranto could all win B&Fs. Daicos, Cameron, Lipinski or Marshall, Rioli, SPP could all end up as premiership players.

And that doesn’t include Draper, Rowan Marshall, Zurhaar, Stengle, Jack Henry, Zach Guthrie, Oscar McInerney, and Fox who all got drafted in the rookie draft. Another 8 best 22 players, 3 of which have flags.

Literally got 40+ players from this draft who are best 22 and an extra 10+ who are on the cusp.

Makes GC getting Ainsworth, Brodie, Scrimshaw & Bowes real bad with 4 picks in the top 10 in such a strong year.

Taranto shouldn’t be clearly away from that group. Top 5 inside mid in the comp, kicked 12 goals in last 8 weeks, his kicking isn’t great but Richmond won 3 flags using a move the ball forwards at any means necessary tactic, and he does that brilliantly.
Very true. Honestly hadn't even thought about him because he's just never been much in the conversation for the top rung of this group. I'd have him 4th at the moment.

Slowly developing into an excellent draft year

My take on a best 22
B: Stewart, Logue, Battle
HB: Ridley, Ryan, McGrath
C: J.Daicos, Simpkin, McCluggage
HF: Lipinski, Larkey, Rioli
F: Ainsworth, T.Marshall, Powell-Pepper
Foll: English, Taranto, Bolton
Bench: S.Darcy, D.Cameron
+ 2 of Setterfield, Berry, Hayward, Florent, Rataguloea, B.Cox, Perryman, Graham, Drew

Nothing wrong with Mitch Lewis either who could easily end up the best forward of that lot by end of his career.

Others: Witherden, Long, Fisher, Parfitt, Scrimshaw, Bowes, Rotham, Hannan, L.Young, E.Himmelberg, SPS, Waterman

Premierships: Graham (2), Bolton (2), Stewart, Rioli, Parfitt, Venables
Captains: Simpkin
B&F: Simpkin (2), Stewart, Ridley, Darcy, Ryan, Taranto
AA: Stewart (4), Ryan, Bolton

You’ve got Daicos, English and Darcy as a possible to be AA this year, plus Stewart, English, Larkey, Taranto could all win B&Fs. Daicos, Cameron, Lipinski or Marshall, Rioli, SPP could all end up as premiership players.

And that doesn’t include Draper, Rowan Marshall, Zurhaar, Stengle, Jack Henry, Zach Guthrie, Oscar McInerney, and Fox who all got drafted in the rookie draft. Another 8 best 22 players, 3 of which have flags.

Literally got 40+ players from this draft who are best 22 and an extra 10+ who are on the cusp.

Makes GC getting Ainsworth, Brodie, Scrimshaw & Bowes real bad with 4 picks in the top 10 in such a strong year.
Rohan Marshall makes that team as well, he was a rookie pick.

Reading the earlier comments is laughable about people saying "If you say Bolton you are a Richmond supporter"

If you say it's anyone but Bolton you are crazy, he has easily proven to have been the best player of this draft talent wise & success.

fully expecting the tone of richmond supporters posting about this draft shifting from singing the praises of bolton to that of taranto going forward

will be particularly funny considering they would have been the first to undercut him amongst the other players of this draft to put bolton on a pedestal

What's happened to Clug this season? Have barely noticed him in every Brisbane game I've watched. Perhaps that why he decided to take a leisurely stroll around the boundary line at the MCG last Sunday?

Taranto has lept straight to number 1 out of the top 3 from this draft IMO.

What's happened to Clug this season? Have barely noticed him in every Brisbane game I've watched. Perhaps that why he decided to take a leisurely stroll around the boundary line at the MCG last Sunday?

Taranto has lept straight to number 1 out of the top 3 from this draft IMO.
Yeah weird one just started the year in bad form. Confidence was way down and kicking went wayward. Has worked into the year ok though.

Personally think he should go back to the wing where he played his best football. He is better receiving the ball wider and delivering it. He just doesn't seem as good in a more inside role and adds to the problem of the small Brisbane midfield

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah weird one just started the year in bad form. Confidence was way down and kicking went wayward. Has worked into the year ok though.

Personally think he should go back to the wing where he played his best football. He is better receiving the ball wider and delivering it. He just doesn't seem as good in a more inside role and adds to the problem of the small Brisbane midfield

He looked to be building beautifully as the team improved from 2019 to last year, and I expected him to absolutely explode this season.

From what i've seen he's certainly looked low on confidence, you're right.

Looks like a clear top 3 of Stewart, Bolton and English in this draft. Stewart has the accolades, Bolton has the crazy X-factor and English could very easily be the league's most valuable player for the next few years.
Tom Stewart is a gun but already being 30 now whereas guys like Bolton (24), English (25), etc. have significantly more football left in them and long term value. When Stewart's career is over most of the draft class will still have 100+ odd games left in their careers.

Tom Stewart is a gun but already being 30 now whereas guys like Bolton (24), English (25), etc. have significantly more football left in them and long term value. When Stewart's career is over most of the draft class will still have 100+ odd games left in their careers.
That is true, and I don't doubt that by the end of their respective careers, we will see both English and Bolton (maybe even Taranto) ranked higher than Stewart, but the 6 years he has been in the league have been nothing short of incredible in terms of the value he has provided to his team. 4xAA over the stretch, and might possibly add one or two more by the time he is done. His main strength, his ability to read the play, will not diminish as he gets older so I wouldn't be surprised if he's still going by 34/35.

heck, I also forgot about Sean Darcy. No reason why he couldn't overtake Stewart by the end of his career either.

Little bit of a bias, but my personal projection of this draft when it's all said and done is:
1) English
2) Bolton
3) Darcy
4) Stewart
5) Taranto

That is true, and I don't doubt that by the end of their respective careers, we will see both English and Bolton (maybe even Taranto) ranked higher than Stewart, but the 6 years he has been in the league have been nothing short of incredible in terms of the value he has provided to his team. 4xAA over the stretch, and might possibly add one or two more by the time he is done. His main strength, his ability to read the play, will not diminish as he gets older so I wouldn't be surprised if he's still going by 34/35.

*, I also forgot about Sean Darcy. No reason why he couldn't overtake Stewart by the end of his career either.

Little bit of a bias, but my personal projection of this draft when it's all said and done is:
1) English
2) Bolton
3) Darcy
4) Stewart
5) Taranto
It's reasonable, you could make a case for a number of players, very strong draft.

I just think there's one outlier in terms of age, and the only way to be objectively fair at this point is to assume all players retire at the same age, even though it doesn't exactly work out that way, you can't just put Stewart playing good footy until 38 and everyone else at 33 just to even it up.

Assume all players are done at 33, (or 34, 35, it doesn't matter as long as its consistent for all players for speculation purposes), then I think being 5 years older is a significant factor.

But I don't dispute to this point Stewart has been phenomenal for the Cats in what he's done on field.

It's reasonable, you could make a case for a number of players, very strong draft.

I just think there's one outlier in terms of age, and the only way to be objectively fair at this point is to assume all players retire at the same age, even though it doesn't exactly work out that way, you can't just put Stewart playing good footy until 38 and everyone else at 33 just to even it up.

Assume all players are done at 33, (or 34, 35, it doesn't matter as long as its consistent for all players for speculation purposes), then I think being 5 years older is a significant factor.

But I don't dispute to this point Stewart has been phenomenal for the Cats in what he's done on field.
Yep that's fair enough. It's quite difficult to make it objectively fair, and unfortunately most of these comparisons are essentially speculation as players are developing at different rates, debut at different ages and may finish their careers at different ages as well.

Then you have to compare variables such as peak football performance against sustained football performance. How does English's potential/actual peak performance (which may only last a few years) get weighed against Taranto (for arguments sake), who has had a much more consistent performance throughout his career. English may have the greater peak, but does that offset the many years he was developing, getting belted by stronger ruckmen and occasionally being a net-negative for his team?

I guess that's why these draft comparisons are so fun, because there's so many perspectives that one can look from at how to analyse the re-drafted order. It might not be fair and we are often short-sighted, but I still enjoy them :p

If I was running a side I would take in this order
1- Stewart
2- English
3- Bolton
4- Ridley
5- Daicos
6- Larkey
7- S Darcy
8- Mcgrath
9- Taranto
10- Marshall
11- Mcluggage
12- L Ryan
13- Ainsworth
14- Simpkin
15- Powel Pepper

If I was running a side I would take in this order
1- Stewart
2- English
3- Bolton
4- Ridley
5- Daicos
6- Larkey
7- S Darcy
8- Mcgrath
9- Taranto
10- Marshall
11- Mcluggage
12- L Ryan
13- Ainsworth
14- Simpkin
15- Powel Pepper
If you take Stewart at 1 you have an older player who only has a few years left and who can get long suspensions so Stewart must be down the list imo.
I'd have S.Darcy and Marshall higher.

Back