Best player from the 2016 Draft?

Best player from the 2016 Draft?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep, would take McCluggage before Taranto in a heartbeat.

McCluggage has returned to God mode and still top of the 2016 class (possible exception of Stewart)

34 P (14 C) 9 score involvements 5 clearances 5 I50 @ 82.4% DE. Scary thing is he is isn't close to his ceiling

Taranto - at one point was running at 14% DE

McCluggage has returned to God mode and still top of the 2016 class (possible exception of Stewart)

34 P (14 C) 9 score involvements 5 clearances 5 I50 @ 82.4% DE. Scary thing is he is isn't close to his ceiling

Taranto - at one point was running at 14% DE
No club would take McCluggage before Bolton or Darcy and others

MvCluggage is not a goalkicker , he is a reliable midfielder with no other bows to his game.
McCluggage has been down this season but the last few weeks is returning to his best form, peak McCluggage is incredibly underrated, he is an elite kick, provides class entries into the F50, clean as a whistle with his hands at ground level, and evasive as all hell. Has been in the AA 40 man squad multiple times and should have had at least one AA jacket when he was playing predominantly wing for us, except the AA selectors weren't selecting fair dinkum wingers on the wings.

McCluggage IMO is a class above Taranto, I would not trade him for Darcy or Bolton.

McCluggage has been down this season but the last few weeks is returning to his best form, peak McCluggage is incredibly underrated, he is an elite kick, provides class entries into the F50, clean as a whistle with his hands at ground level, and evasive as all hell. Has been in the AA 40 man squad multiple times and should have had at least one AA jacket when he was playing predominantly wing for us, except the AA selectors weren't selecting fair dinkum wingers on the wings.

McCluggage IMO is a class above Taranto, I would not trade him for Darcy or Bolton.
There are a lot a midfielders in the AFL but not many quality ruckman or players with the skillset of a Bolton.

There are a lot a midfielders in the AFL but not many quality ruckman or players with the skillset of a Bolton.
Big O did very well against Darcy in our last meeting a couple of weeks ago, I think Bolton is a fantastic player and would love him at the Lions but would not swap him for McCluggage and I highly doubt many Lions fans would.

Tom Stewart 1st on output with Bolton Probably 2nd. Luggage, Taranto , Luke Ryan, Darcy next best so far.

Will be interesting to see how the monster contract affects Bolton's playing.

Just needs to be a little more consistent to cement his place at the top of his draft class.

Bolton still has the same issues of being very inconsistent and needs the ball fed to him.

Will be interesting how he goes playing for a poorer team. Cant just run forward the whole time waiting for the ball. Was pretty clear on Thursday that when the team was playing badly he wasn't doing the hard yards to try and get them back in the game

I am a critic of Josh Daicos quite often, and find his defensive application and one-on-one ability as weaknesses, but blimey he can create and find the best option. He's been better than Clug for 12 months, who is still quite the player himself. Closing in on top 5 of this draft I think.

Tom Stewart is the best player from this draft, and one of the best defenders of the modern era. I'd still happily place Clug at 2nd on his career output, with Ryan, English, Darcy, Marshall, Daicos, Bolton, Taranto, Lewis and Larkey rounding out the top 11. Great draft.

What's interesting about 2016 is the number of good rucks that were taken. English, Darcy, Marshall, McInerney, Draper, Darcy Cameron were all taken. Crazy that Draper and Cameron are their club's primary rucks yet aren't top 4 in their position from this draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's a battle for second place with Stewart undeniably first. You'd be rapt with any of Darcy, English or Marshall. Three elite or soon-to-be-elite big guys is a great haul for one draft.
Bolton, Darcy and Marshall are better than Stewart who plays as a loose defender most of the time.

Bolton still has the same issues of being very inconsistent and needs the ball fed to him.

Will be interesting how he goes playing for a poorer team. Cant just run forward the whole time waiting for the ball. Was pretty clear on Thursday that when the team was playing badly he wasn't doing the hard yards to try and get them back in the game
Jesus Christ i am convinced you gave never seen Bolton play

Yep, would take McCluggage before Taranto in a heartbeat.
McCluggage has never won a B&F and Taranto has at two different clubs.
Don't get me wrong Hugh is a gun & I do rate him, but not sure he is as consistent as Taranto.

2x BnF, 5x AA, Premiership player now in under 150 games.

F7rDtG8acAAOrRX

Sean Darcy

Tom Stewart is a star but what goes against him when predicting the future compared to others in the poll is with some of them they haven't reached their peak or best football yet e.g. someone like Bolton is only 25 for the entire 2024 season while Stewart turns 31 in March.

He's of course been elite, but he's far closer to the end than others who are about to hit their peak footballing years.

Tom Stewart is a star but what goes against him when predicting the future compared to others in the poll is with some of them they haven't reached their peak or best football yet e.g. someone like Bolton is only 25 for the entire 2024 season while Stewart turns 31 in March.

He's of course been elite, but he's far closer to the end than others who are about to hit their peak footballing years

Back