Bendigo Football League

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a Kangaroo Flat supporter I definitely agree. Maybe the mods can move the other thread in here so it is all together! Go the Flat in 2006!

It would be great if they could, any news on who the flat have recruited? I think square will be in for a bigger and better year. Gisborne are still the team to beat though.

i hear Castlemaine have recruited well and are looking the goods, can anyone confirm this

sharpy43 said:
It would be great if they could, any news on who the flat have recruited? I think square will be in for a bigger and better year. Gisborne are still the team to beat though.

Yeah Square and South will definitely be right up there next season. Browny has obviously taken on the coaching again and he did state that he has one big signing but didnt want to release any info yet. The key for the Flat was to resign all their young players which I am told they have done. I dont expect big things next season but a modest total of 4 wins isnt too much to ask for is it?

North Ballarat are the wildcard as they will be better than a lot of people are predicting. Gisborne will no doubt be favourites! I havent heard to much about Castlemaine except losing Eylesy and Oliver.

Just saw South Bendigo training tonight, probably had forty there. Anyone know how any other teams training are going? Anyone know if any of the players Sandhurst lost after 2004 are returning?

spoke4923 said:
Just saw South Bendigo training tonight, probably had forty there. Anyone know how any other teams training are going? Anyone know if any of the players Sandhurst lost after 2004 are returning?

Haven't heard of any players coming back, heard Mark Fitz who was over in W.A. last year might be coming back but to a different club??? Don't know how true it could be?

Square have been training for 3 weeks with alot of running from what i know.

spoke4923 said:

yeah i heard that south recruited very well along with golden square. Gisborne still will be powerful. Brendan Jennings for the michealson medal and Josh Dawson for the goal kicking award. Troy Auld coach of the year

Wayne Weideman said:
yeah i heard that south recruited very well along with golden square. Gisborne still will be powerful. Brendan Jennings for the michealson medal and Josh Dawson for the goal kicking award. Troy Auld coach of the year

Fair call with Jennings. a very good player for South. Don't discount young Rochester export Nick Knight. Have watched him play and he goes pretty well. His only downfall maybe a touch soft. Has anyone else seen him play?

Rushy Tiger said:
Fair call with Jennings. a very good player for South. Don't discount young Rochester export Nick Knight. Have watched him play and he goes pretty well. His only downfall maybe a touch soft. Has anyone else seen him play?

Yeah Seen Nick play for Rochester in the GV a few times, unsure were this soft tag is coming from(think some may be tongue in cheek!!). No he isnt your typical in and under player, but can win the ball when needed and also very underrated in one on one contests. Will be a very good player in the Bendigo League.
He has probably played 80-100 senior games in GV so if he has got through them ok, I'm sure he could handle Bendigo footy.

hank1 said:
Yeah Seen Nick play for Rochester in the GV a few times, unsure were this soft tag is coming from(think some may be tongue in cheek!!). No he isnt your typical in and under player, but can win the ball when needed and also very underrated in one on one contests. Will be a very good player in the Bendigo League.
He has probably played 80-100 senior games in GV so if he has got through them ok, I'm sure he could handle Bendigo footy.

It was a lot of tongue in cheek - saw Knight a few weeks ago and seems to have hit the gym pretty hard over the pre season. Maybe heard rumours around bendigo people are calling him soft.

Wayne Weideman said:

did jennings play for lietchfield gunbower in under 16s whent they were in the NCFL?? how old is he

(Log in to remove this ad.)

URCH_CRUNCH said:
did jennings play for lietchfield gunbower in under 16s whent they were in the NCFL?? how old is he

Jennings turns 21 on Thursday this week so that would about fit the time frame of Leitchfield-Gunbower being in the North Central. Guess so?

New assistant for Roos
Luke West
Thursday, 15 December 2005

KANGAROO Flat has appointed Mark Dickens as a non-playing assistant coach for the 2006 All Seasons Bendigo Football League season.
It's understood Dickens was one of the applicants for the coaching job after it was vacated by Damien Brown, who has since been reappointed as the Roos' senior coach.

Dickens has previously been an assistant coach with Goulburn Valley Football League club Seymour, while he is also a former coach of Kyabram District Football League clubs Avenel and Nagambie.

"He will be a very valuable acquisition to the club," Kangaroo Flat president Paul Brooks said yesterday.

"He brings a bit of fresh blood to the off-field side of things to help Browny.

"He will be good for us, and he has the same philosophy as the committee of developing our juniors and looking at the bigger picture, rather than looking at short-term fixes, so hopefully, the rewards will come."The Roos will open the 2006 season on Good Friday when they travel to Canterbury Park to take on Eaglehawk on April 14.

In further BFL news, Kyneton has announced it has signed Shannon Carroll from Essendon District Football League club Aberfeldie.

Carroll is a utility player who can play at either end of the ground.

"He will bring some experience to our footy club," Tigers' coach Neville Massina said.

The Tigers have three players - Mark Scerri, Guy Orton and Brian Ruffell - training with the Bendigo Bank Bombers.

Massina says star full-forward Steven Reaper has indicated he will line up for the Tigers again next year, although he will have to work around his VCFL commitments.

Meanwhile, the BFL is unlikely to fill Brett Fitzpatrick's position on the board until after Christmas.

Fitzpatrick last week resigned from the board to take up a position as a director with the Victorian Country Football League board.

Fitzpatrick joins Hamilton's Gerard Lucas and Ballarat's Tim Bunning as new directors on the VCFL board.

The BFL will speak to two people about filling the position vacated by Fitzpatrick, but it's unlikely any appointment will be made until after Christmas.

Whoever is appointed to the board will be up for re-election at next year's annual general meeting.

The BFL's first meeting with its clubs next year will be held on February 10, where one of the topics on the agenda will be the prospect of playing night finals at the Queen Elizabeth Oval.

The league's fixture has the qualifying final and second semi-final slated as night games at this stage.

I guess Eaglehawk and Filo will hope Robins thinks he is past being considered AFL material.

Star forward to leave Bendigo for SANFL Kain's bombshell
Luke West
Thursday, 15 December 2005

KAIN Robins looks set to turn his back on the Bendigo Bank Bombers next year.
Instead, he is likely to choose to continue his blossoming football career in the SANFL.

Robins was overlooked in Tuesday's AFL rookie draft after spending the previous eight weeks training with Hawthorn, but if he chooses to have another crack at making an AFL list, it's likely he will do so with SANFL club Sturt.

The 21-year-old, who was the Bombers' leading goalkicker this year with 30, will travel to Adelaide tomorrow, where he will train with Sturt and meet with coach Brenton Phillips.

Robins says that by joining a SANFL club, he won't be fighting for a position in the senior team with AFL players, as is the case with aligned-VFL clubs, such as the Bendigo Bombers.

With no jostling for spots on the team with AFL players, Robins believes he will have more chances to show his wares in the SANFL, and ultimately, more opportunities to impress AFL scouts.The former Bendigo Pioneer has also attracted interest from Box Hill - Hawthorn's aligned VFL club - and fellow SANFL club Central Districts.

However, if Robins decides an AFL career is beyond him, he hinted at a move back to All Seasons Bendigo Football League club Eaglehawk.

He expects to make his decision late next week.

Bombers' general manager Matthew Allan said yesterday Robins was a required player at the club next year.

"Kain was our leading goalkicker this year, so he was obviously a good player for us and is much required," Allan said.

"We won't be letting him go easily, but if he wants to, we will.

"We would like to keep him in our program because after training with an AFL club pre-Christmas, we think he is ready to have another big year."If Robins joins a SANFL club, it will have to pay the Bombers a transfer fee. Robins said his eight weeks of training at Glenferrie Oval had been the best experience of his footballing career.

"It's something I've always wanted to do, so it has been good to have been able to have a crack at it," he said.

"I sort of thought I was a good chance, so I was pretty shattered (not to be drafted), but they (Hawthorn) rang up and said I would be crazy to go back to country footy."Robins will still be eligible for an AFL rookie list in the 2007 season.

Eaglehawk coach Derrick Filo said the Hawks would love to have Robins back if he chose to return to Canterbury Park.

"Anyone who can play key-position, on the wing or ruck-rover is pretty handy," Filo said.

"We'd love to have him back, but we'll just leave him alone for a while because I imagine he would be pretty disappointed.

"But we think he will make his mind up fairly quickly."

The Rankin brothers will both be missing from Eaglehawk next season. Travis is returning to Melbourne and Daniel is going overseas for 12 months.

:confused: HOW will the Burra Boys go in 2006 ??. Damien Lock isn't returning now, after looking a chance a few weeks back, but I suppose big Nick Heath will saddle up again.
The Rankins will be a huge loss, especially Daniel. He is a qualified physiotherapist and worked on sore teammates during the inter-league campaign in Sth. Aust. earlier this year.

Jock Clark 2 said:
:confused: HOW will the Burra Boys go in 2006 ??. Damien Lock isn't returning now, after looking a chance a few weeks back, but I suppose big Nick Heath will saddle up again.
The Rankins will be a huge loss, especially Daniel. He is a qualified physiotherapist and worked on sore teammates during the inter-league campaign in Sth. Aust. earlier this year.

Obviously its too early to get a strong indication but it looks as though they will be in the finals mix again. The loss of Daniel Rankin and McGlynn out of the midfield will sting because that was a real strength of their's.
Pedrotti returns and will be a handy addition while the big plus will be if they stitch Robbins up. Lobb had a good season with 60 odd goals up forward but has he got the committment and discipline to be able to back it up again. All in all it looks as though Gisbourne will shape up with a stronger list than 2005 so it's going to take stronger opposition than what was around this year to topple them.

A bit concerned!

As a Kangaroo Flat supporter seeing Damian Brown stay on I am excited about next season but with some of the great signings other teams are making I am a bit concerned with how the Flat will go next season.

What are other peoples thoughts?

Re: A bit concerned!

caveman said:
As a Kangaroo Flat supporter seeing Damian Brown stay on I am excited about next season but with some of the great signings other teams are making I am a bit concerned with how the Flat will go next season.

What are other peoples thoughts?

Flat will improve a bit the kids they had are a season older but they won't be a top 5 combo. It's a funny joint I don't know how long u have been there but I went to a game last year and there was no club atmosphere at all no one at the game and no one could elaborate on where the after match drink was or anything. There a long way off being right in the mix

Re: A bit concerned!

On The Money said:
Flat will improve a bit the kids they had are a season older but they won't be a top 5 combo. It's a funny joint I don't know how long u have been there but I went to a game last year and there was no club atmosphere at all no one at the game and no one could elaborate on where the after match drink was or anything. There a long way off being right in the mix

Last year was my first year as a fully fledged Flat supporter. I do know what you are saying though as there didnt seem to be much support. That really pees me off as if you support a club you should go regardless of if they are winning or losing!

I do recall a game last year where at 3/4 time Browny had the boys in the huddle and said last week we had f**k all supporters around the huddle but look now. Unfortunately the week after there was f**k all again!

:) I KNOW a bloke who saw Brownie take 19 marks in one K Flat home match in 05.
But South and Square, not to mention Gissie, are doing heaps of recruiting. How good will the defending premiers be with Matt Fitzgerald (on-Baller) and Dave Power (key defender) returning to the club and grand final Nalder Medallist and winger Ty Elliott committing to one more year ??
CHF Jordie Barham might be heading to the VFL, but we'll have to wait and see on that one.
Someone on another thread suggested Flat recruit Mark Salakowski is 35 or 36 and could struggle to keep up in the BFL. Also read Kyabram District League thread to see how new Roo asst. coach Dickens is going recruiting possible Flat players from that league.

Jock Clark 2 said:
:) Someone on another thread suggested Flat recruit Mark Salakowski is 35 or 36 and could struggle to keep up in the BFL. Also read Kyabram District League thread to see how new Roo asst. coach Dickens is going recruiting possible Flat players from that league.

The b-go addy indicates sala has signed so it's official. Hopefully his body can stay in reasonable shape and he can give the young blokes some guidance. Don't expect a superstar flat fans, he's well past his best.....

HJ32 said:
The b-go addy indicates sala has signed so it's official. Hopefully his body can stay in reasonable shape and he can give the young blokes some guidance. Don't expect a superstar flat fans, he's well past his best.....

Thanks mate. You have given us Flat fans plenty of warning not to expect heaps so I wont. I will say that I am rapt to get someone with that amount of experience so in that respect it is a great pick up for the Flat. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back