Bendigo Football League

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He signed this morning Weapo, looks a handy inclusion for the Square.

You know much about him?

wobble said:
He signed this morning Weapo, looks a handy inclusion for the Square.

You know much about him?

Apparently he is a very handy player. Be exactly what square needs and with the o'toole brothers and rosa it will add much needed height. Exciting times for the square and im sure they will be extremely happy and confident for '06.

heard yesterday that rochy and echuca would be playing the bfl pre season comp. what doles everyone think of this? it probably won't be taken to seriously but it will be interesting to see what the difference in the standard of football is.

I have been watching this thread with interest as North City are now in the BFL. There has been a decided lack of chat regarding the way the side is shaping other than the discussion on the possible captains and the coach.
Is this due to the distance and the lack of contacts or the lets wait and see mentality.
North City will be a club not to be underestimated in their debut season this is a club that has not only acheived success but has grown to expect it (sorry about the cliche) look what they did when they took over Redan in the Ballarat league from the bottom making up numbers to premiers with a good portion of the team that are coming back home to North. Time and time again the roosters have done what is needed to get the job done.
Look forward to more news as the pre-season get into full swing.

soapyJNR said:
I have been watching this thread with interest as North City are now in the BFL. There has been a decided lack of chat regarding the way the side is shaping other than the discussion on the possible captains and the coach.
Is this due to the distance and the lack of contacts or the lets wait and see mentality.
North City will be a club not to be underestimated in their debut season this is a club that has not only acheived success but has grown to expect it (sorry about the cliche) look what they did when they took over Redan in the Ballarat league from the bottom making up numbers to premiers with a good portion of the team that are coming back home to North. Time and time again the roosters have done what is needed to get the job done.
Look forward to more news as the pre-season get into full swing.

Soapy, I think the lack of talk about North is down to the fact we don't know a great deal of their recruits as we are not fmailiar with the leagues they have played in, and also due to the distance from bendigo we haven't heard very much news. If you know some info though, please let us know!:thumbsu:

Square signs ruckman
Luke West
Tuesday, 24 January 2006

THE number one aim for Golden Square to boost its list with a ruckman for the 2006 All Seasons Bendigo Football League season has been fulfilled.
The Bulldogs have lured former Bendigo Pioneer and Lake Boga ruckman Wes Pye to Country Vet Oval for this year's BFL season.

And Pye's signing couldn't be more timely, with doubt over Daniel Nalder and Cameron Walsh playing for the Bulldogs this year.

Both Walsh and Nalder shared the rucking duties for Golden Square last season, but Nalder will be based in Geelong and Walsh in Melbourne this year.

While Pye will take on the mantle as the Bulldogs' number one ruckman this year, he has also played up forward and in defence in the past.

"He is a big build, reads the game pretty well and will add some aggression to our side," Golden Square coach Darren Walsh said yesterday.

"Our main target of the pre-season was to get a ruckman, so we're obviously pleased to get him."Pye - a former Central Murray Football League representative - will be based in Melbourne this year.

While Golden Square has added some much-needed height to its list with Pye, its midfield has also been bolstered by the addition of Chris Martens from Port Macquarie, who is a former league medallist.

There has been speculation that Golden Square has signed defender Matt Winsall from Charlton.

However, Walsh said that was not the case, and that he hadn't even spoken to Winsall.

Other recruits who will join the Bulldogs this year include Warrack Eagles' premiership player Luke Rosa, Matt Tyrell - who played in Golden Square's 2001 flag - and Jason Curtain, who spent last year on the Bendigo Bank Bombers' list.

Another former player in Robert Brown will return to the club this year.

"We also have four or five guys training with us who we hope to sign to add to our list and strengthen our depth," Walsh said.

Golden Square - who was beaten by South Bendigo in last year's elimination final - will play a practice mach against Goulburn Valley Football League club Kyabram on March 19, and Geelong Football League club North Shore in Bendigo on March 25.

For the third year in a row, the club will also hold a weekend training camp at Torquay on March 3-4.

Golden Square will open its 2006 campaign when it hosts reigning premier Gisborne on Sunday, April 16.

The Bulldogs were the only team to beat Gisborne last year, when they triumphed by a point in round seven at Gardiner Reserve.

Square seem like they are the team that have made the most moves and will be very confident and so they should be for '06. They didn't mention O'Toole's brother in the article. He is a good player apparently and will be great considering what they need from last year.

Weapo said:
Square seem like they are the team that have made the most moves and will be very confident and so they should be for '06. They didn't mention O'Toole's brother in the article. He is a good player apparently and will be great considering what they need from last year.

O'Toole's brother, where'd ya here that from?

On the Central Murray thread.

Looked at the other Bendigo thread and it says that the Milwards are heading to Kerang. Anyone heard of this?

wouldn't suprise me, Shaun Filo has been poaching BFL Players with heaps of coin for the last few years!!

Griffin, Eaton,Sheppard,pacher & the ever reliable shaun smith(before they sacked him!!) for example.

This would be a devastating blow to the Flat. I was looking forward to seeing our younger guys with a bit more experience this season but we need as many experienced players as we can get. Geez I hope the Flat keep them!

Weapo said:
Luke.... didnt he have a crack at the ntfl w Nightcliff a few years back ? how'd he go last year...

WEAPO, while I agree Square has done a top job recruiting, hasn't Suth gone a few steps xtra ?
Dane Frew, Rick Coburn, Nick Knight, Beau Shiels, Zane Taylor, Brad Rohde, Shannon Hyes. If all these come through they'll have a pretty formidable line-up even allowing for Jake Matthews (Bgo Bombers).
They mite hang onto James Flaherty. He seems to be tossing up whether to actually join the Bgo Bombers. Read young guys signing with the Bgo Bombers --- kicking the dew off the grass for the Bombers Twos with the chance of a VERY occasional gallop with the VFL side when Essendon cops a few injuries.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jock Clark 2 said:
WEAPO, while I agree Square has done a top job recruiting, hasn't Suth gone a few steps xtra ?
Dane Frew, Rick Coburn, Nick Knight, Beau Shiels, Zane Taylor, Brad Rohde, Shannon Hyes. If all these come through they'll have a pretty formidable line-up even allowing for Jake Matthews (Bgo Bombers).
They mite hang onto James Flaherty. He seems to be tossing up whether to actually join the Bgo Bombers. Read young guys signing with the Bgo Bombers --- kicking the dew off the grass for the Bombers Twos with the chance of a VERY occasional gallop with the VFL side when Essendon cops a few injuries.

well jock clarke 2. james flaherty has returned to the bloods and they have sighed a couple of other handy players to. (which i'm not sure of names at this stage) but have herd former player ryan connaughton has sighed back at the club which would be a hugh plus for south

Jock Clark 2 said:

It does seem like they have picked up a few JC2 but if you put the names of the Square recruits altogether like the south ones and it would be an interesting comparison. Not sure of them all. Does anyone know? Simon Rosa, Wes Pye, Jason Curtain, thats a start???

That would be a big bonus if south hold onto Flaherty and the return of Connaughton.

I agree with the Bombers boys who go to the bombers will get very few opportunities, if any, i think they are a waste of time but then again they weren't there in my day. I just think these young kids think its good to be wrapped up in it. They get caught up in their own ego's!!

Again some bad news, especially for us Square followers with rumours that Aaron Hawkins is heading to Cohuna?

YERS, I agree Square has done a good job recruiting.
List: Luke (Simon's bro.) Rosa, Jason Curtain, Wes Pye, Chris Martens (Port Macquarie), Robert Brown (former player, returning), maybe Luke O'Toole (Matt's bro,).
But coach Woosha sez Matt Winsall has NOT been gathered up. And if Woosha's Dad, B. Walsh, gets the gig as senior coach at White Hills, there's been talk Matt Tyrrell could stay put at the Hills and not race over to the Square.
Winsall is the North Central player mentioned extensively on this thread and the other BFL thread.
And if 05 assistant coach "The Hawk" Hawkins goes to Cohuna maybe he'll take 1 or 2 with him.
So there's a bit of give and take out at the Square.

south have done ok, although shannon hayes is not a huge recruit, ryan connaughton i hear, wiill not return and is on the look out for an assisatant coaching position somewhere, while if fit, someone like rick coburn is a similar player to rick andrews

and isnt it also a little bit hypocritical that we are judging young men on deciding to play in the vfl competition??? i mean if they wanted to play country footy, out of town somewhere is the best option, due to the fact bendigo league football is a division 3 side and nowhere near where it was 10 to 15 years ago. the bombers, inter state, gvfl, or the o and m are much better for a young players ability

Here here, give the kids a go, whatever they learn can only be beneficial to their home clubs down the track. That is of course if these clubs dont carry on like dicks - then it will be rival clubs or those up the river that will benefit.

Dont burn ya bridges, encourage them and they'll come back better for any experiences they can gather.

Jock Clark 2 said:
But coach Woosha sez Matt Winsall has NOT been gathered up. And if Woosha's Dad, B. Walsh, gets the gig as senior coach at White Hills, there's been talk Matt Tyrrell could stay put at the Hills and not race over to the Square.Winsall is the North Central player mentioned extensively on this thread and the other BFL thread..

Whats the go with this Wisnall, what has he done, is he worthy of all this hype?

i've seen winsall play for charlton a couple of times and to be honest i dont think he has much going for him apart from height and pace, he lacks the skills and the brains to be a major recruit but i could be wrong

just reading these names that golden square and south have signed up they are both going to be very powerful in season 2006 by the look of both teams respective sides. is there a bit of rivalary between square and south?

I think there is a bit of rivalry between sth & square from what i've heard!!

They both have good young lists and south beat square in last years finals series......which square didn't like.

I know alot of blokes at square that hate sandhurst but i can assure you South aren't far behind....if behind at all.:thumbsu:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back