Win Prizes Ask an Atheist II

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome to the Ask an Atheist thread II.

Previous part:

Standard board rules apply.

I am saying that people instinctively search for a life's purpose, not necessarily that there is one.

There isn't necessarily one.
You are a teacher aren't you? Why did you go there?

I enjoy the study of History.
Because it's cruisy? No. For the cash? Doubt it. The women? Unlikely.

At the time it paid better than other careers involving history.

I would think that it is the satisfaction and purpose that drew you to the profession.

It was a career that involved my area of interest. I wouldn't be doing it because I enjoy the art of teaching or have any overwhelming desire to improve opportunities for the younger generation. It's a bonus that it does of course.

I am saying that people instinctively search for a life's purpose, not necessarily that there is one.

You are a teacher aren't you? Why did you go there? Because it's cruisy? No. For the cash? Doubt it. The women? Unlikely.

Teaching is more a vocation than a job, dedicating your life to improving the opportunities for the younger generation. I would think that it is the satisfaction and purpose that drew you to the profession.
How does believing or following god give purpose to life?

How does believing or following god give purpose to life?
Just that you are meant to be here, and you are loved by the entity who put you here. To do what you need to do.

What that is I'm not quite sure. Just be respectful and understanding to all the other people who are trying to find their purpose.

I think when people top themselves it's from feeling useless or without purpose. I hate that. Everyone is important.

Not meaningless, but important. It's empowering that I am loved and supported by the conscious universe. I get alot of confidence from that.

I think that is why Jesus used the "Father" metaphor.
For those of us who extensively travelled in lived in third world countries, it's very hard for people to believe in such things. God has a lot to answer for killing infants who hasn't seen the light of the day, genocide, rape, murder, pedophilia etc, yet he seems to appease the privileged first world nationals more.

For those of us who extensively travelled in lived in third world countries, it's very hard for people to believe in such things. God has a lot to answer for killing infants who hasn't seen the light of the day, genocide, rape, murder, pedophilia etc, yet he seems to appease the privileged first world nationals more.
Do you really think that it is God's fault that these things happen?

Do you really think that it is God's fault that these things happen?
Why do these things happen if god is real? Why do you speak of god as a loving father, yet don't know what he's saying to you or when. He's the epitome of an absentee father - no evidence that he speaks to mankind, no evidence that he does anything.

It makes more sense if god doesn't exist except in the figment of human minds and imagination: each believer creating a god based on their psychology - some create a loving protective god, others a vengeful violent god.

By the god each believer creates, we get a window into the deepest parts of their psyche - the subconscious.

Why do these things happen if god is real? Why do you speak of god as a loving father, yet don't know what he's saying to you or when. He's the epitome of an absentee father - no evidence that he speaks to mankind, no evidence that he does anything.

It makes more sense if god doesn't exist except in the figment of human minds and imagination: each believer creating a god based on their psychology - some create a loving protective god, others a vengeful violent god.

By the god each believer creates, we get a window into the deepest parts of their psyche - the subconscious.
God getting the credit great for all good things that happen to people.

But all shitty things that happen...it's all our fault.

It's fun to be god i assume, you get away with murder.

God getting the credit great for all good things that happen to people.

But all shitty things that happen...it's all our fault.

It's fun to be god i assume, you get away with murder.
Adam really shouldn't have eaten that apple - every shitty thing that has happened since is his fault.

"We chose this by being sinful and we're not worthy of his love" - it's the same sort of thinking abuse victims have.

I think I have read before that you are a father. Will you wipe your kids arse for ever? I am mainly saying this because I have a 5 year old that probably does expect me to wipe his arse for ever. He's at school for fks sake

Anyway, if you want your creation to improve, do you do everything for them?

It is our responsibility to lift us up.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Adam really shouldn't have eaten that apple - every shitty thing that has happened since is his fault.

"We chose this by being sinful and we're not worthy of his love" - it's the same sort of thinking abuse victims have.
Do you think the lesson of the bible is that we should not have eaten the apple?

Do you think the lesson of the bible is that we should not have eaten the apple?
Logic and reason. If my children eats something i told him not to eat, it's cause he doesn't know better. I should teach him with more love and patience, not anger and hatred.

Adam and eve didnt know better. They had no idea about sinning. It was the same god to put satan in the garden remember. It was the same god who wanted to test (and knew the result being omnipotent) beforehand. If my child makes mistake i teach him with more love not curse him and his entire mankind for it

He has anger related issues.

Logic and reason. If my children eats something i told him not to eat, it's cause he doesn't know better. I should teach him with more love and patience, not anger and hatred.

Adam and eve didnt know better. They had no idea about sinning. It was the same god to put satan in the garden remember. It was the same god who wanted to test (and knew the result being omnipotent) beforehand. If my child makes mistake i teach him with more love not curse him and his entire mankind for it

He has anger related issues.
You sound like a biblical literalist.

Think about the literal interpretation of the old testament vs Jesus message. See the reinterpretation of what the Father is?

You sound like a biblical literalist.

Think about the literal interpretation of the old testament vs Jesus message. See the reinterpretation of what the Father is?
I see no morality in the Adam and Eve story (although it's basically babylonian myth). In the Christian thread, i am defending the literal pov as other Christians agree with me. Depends on which christian denomination you follow

I see no methaphors can justify paedphilia, hatred, genocide, infanticide, cursing generations etc.

All those things are seen as just, cause god did it.

I think I have read before that you are a father. Will you wipe your kids arse for ever? I am mainly saying this because I have a 5 year old that probably does expect me to wipe his arse for ever. He's at school for fks sake

Anyway, if you want you're creation to improve, do you do everything for them?

It is our responsibility to lift us up.
I don't want to keep cleaning up after my kids either, yet here I am and my youngest is almost into adulthood!

The bare minimum I expect of any decent father is to spend time with their kids, listen to them, protect them where possible and talk to them. I couldn't really say god does any of those things.

Where do you see evidence of god doing anything in the world? Everything you and I have is a result of the family we were born into and the world around us combined with our own efforts and perceptions.

I see zero reason to insert the complexity of a deity into a universe that functions well without one.

I don't want to keep cleaning up after my kids either, yet here I am and my youngest is almost into adulthood!

The bare minimum I expect of any decent father is to spend time with their kids, listen to them, protect them where possible and talk to them. I couldn't really say god does any of those things.

Where do you see evidence of god doing anything in the world? Everything you and I have is a result of the family we were born into and the world around us combined with our own efforts and perceptions.

I see zero reason to insert the complexity of a deity into a universe that functions well without one.
I feel the good of God washing over me everyday. We should! We are alive and deserve to be here.

All the problems? It is up to me to solve. A prayer won't hurt, but I am not sure if it is God giving me tips or me thinking things through. I hope the later.

I feel the good of God washing over me everyday. We should! We are alive and deserve to be here.

All the problems? It is up to me to solve. A prayer won't hurt, but I am not sure if it is God giving me tips or me thinking things through. I hope the later.
This is the problem with this thinking, we are not even specs in vast universe, we are absolute irrelevant in the grand context of things.

I really do admire your view of god in a lot of ways. It's very positive.
Definitely you. I think I read somewhere that prayer is a form of meditation (TP will know if that's true), so that may help provide the clarity you need for effective problem solving.

This is the problem with this thinking, we are not even specs in vast universe, we are absolute irrelevant in the grand context of things.
Disagree. We are intrinsically important to the greater universe. Because we are here means that we are what the universe is

Disagree. We are intrinsically important to the greater universe. Because we are here means that we are what the universe is
How so? we have been here for 100,000 years, the earth alone has been there for 4 billion years. We will be gone in the next few thousands. What difference will this make to the solar system let alone the universe?

How so? we have been here for 100,000 years, the earth alone has been there for 4 billion years. We will be gone in the next few thousands. What difference will this make to the solar system let alone the universe?
You are talking like an atheist, which is fine. I'm suggesting that we DO matter. We are part of something larger.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back