NT Alice Springs: 2024 Curfew

Remove this Banner Ad

Nice essay.

But it's the same as everything else.

Everyone keeps telling us how to ( ? ) fix it long term. With effing ZERO success so far. But it doesn't stop 'em all trying, and fair enough. Try what you think will work long term.
Me - the fifty-seventh time I hit the end of my utensil with a hammer and act surprised that it hurts again I try something different.

What needs to happen is a greater disincentive to the s**t they're committing in the short term.

This thread has degenerated into the same circular s**t that's happening in sections of the community now.

I'll leave you all to it - I think I've made my feelings known.
Yes. As I said, it's not only in NT, it's nationwide. Social media HAS to be recognised as playing a big part in the motivation of young people to gain status by doing risky things, like stealing cars and speeding away from the police. Can we take away their access to smartphones? Probably not. Not now. That ship has sailed. It's too late for today's teenagers but parents still can (if they want to) restrict their young children's access to phones for as long as possible.

There was another article I read recently proposing just this. If you don't agree with it, don't shoot the messenger :)

It's called BIG TECH AND THE SHOCK TO CHILDHOOD

Yes. As I said, it's not only in NT, it's nationwide. Social media HAS to be recognised as playing a big part in the motivation of young people to gain status by doing risky things, like stealing cars and speeding away from the police. Can we take away their access to smartphones? Probably not. Not now. That ship has sailed. It's too late for today's teenagers but parents still can (if they want to) restrict their young children's access to phones for as long as possible.

There was another article I read recently proposing just this. If you don't agree with it, don't shoot the messenger :)

It's called BIG TECH AND THE SHOCK TO CHILDHOOD

It's a bit interesting how the big tech billionares - those that are involved with their children, at least; don't think Musk counts as he's more interested in quantity than he is quality - professed the internet for all, freedom of association and communication and it's fine for kids and adults alike but refuse to let their own children near the things. Zuckerberg - for example - did extensive psychological testing on his product's effects on entire segments of his consumers, and he was steadfast that his kids wouldn't be allowed at anything Meta did until their brains had finished growing.

There's something to this.

It's a bit interesting how the big tech billionares - those that are involved with their children, at least; don't think Musk counts as he's more interested in quantity than he is quality - professed the internet for all, freedom of association and communication and it's fine for kids and adults alike but refuse to let their own children near the things. Zuckerberg - for example - did extensive psychological testing on his product's effects on entire segments of his consumers, and he was steadfast that his kids wouldn't be allowed at anything Meta did until their brains had finished growing.

There's something to this.
I despise Zuck. I'd pull the trigger without an ounce of guilt almost
Has done unfathomable damage to society without a second thought and knows it. Not only knows it, continues to go further if he thinks it'll profit. A true sociopath

That said governments piss weak (as always) in doing anything about it despite knowing the problems/risks

The other side of it to is, you (and Borisdog) don't really know who's on the other end of the internet to you, so on what basis (beyond disagreement) can you discount the experiences/opinions of other people to the degree you do?
Ya got me, and you knew you would. :)

And my answer is - At the exact same level you discount mine.

This report is just one of those YouTube street gotcha question videos but in pdf format
Nah they are pretty good.

The Baillieu government in Victoria commissioned a survey of this kind - presented scenarios and asked people what appropriate sentences were. It was advertised in the Herald Sun and people chose to participate, (I was one of them). Results came back with I think all scenarios (bar one perhaps - it was a while ago) having real-lfe sentences harsher than what the survey respondants on average gave.

Surely locals in Alice Springs (and Broome, and Derby, and Townsville, and Kalgoorlie etc) surely deserve to feel genuinely safe in their communities?

Because that's the point that's been reached - for all advocates like to argue that the system is locking kids up left, right and centre for petty offences, I've seen Magistrates and Youth Justice workers bend over backwards to keep teenagers who've racked up 15-16 burglary offences out of detention, effectively teaching them that there are no consequences for their actions.

Cyclic offending and detention isn't ideal, but people need to recognise that it's reached the point where a lot of these juveniles are too dangerous to be allowed to remain out and about in the community,.

What about those who have used, abused, exploited Aboriginal people. They were happy to take the gain but not happy with the problem they contributed to.

Mostly neutral and positive, with one person who is directly affected by the curfew being against the imposition over her freedoms.

Hmm...

I'd really like some actual ******* investigative journalists to get in there, put themselves in a situation to get mugged and use that situation to tell the muggers that if they consent to an interview they can have $100. Do it over a period of 6 months; detail what these kids are actually like, so it's a clearer image than just 'Youths rob mother of three in Woolworths carpark'.

Mostly neutral and positive, with one person who is directly affected by the curfew being against the imposition over her freedoms.

Hmm...

I'd really like some actual ******* investigative journalists to get in there, put themselves in a situation to get mugged and use that situation to tell the muggers that if they consent to an interview they can have $100. Do it over a period of 6 months; detail what these kids are actually like, so it's a clearer image than just 'Youths rob mother of three in Woolworths carpark'.
I dont know why this needs to be explained

Anyone who robs a mum with her 3 kids at woolworths is s**t. Desperate perhaps, still s**t. There's your clear image.

Most people stealing aren't just taking bread and oats to feed their family. Usually have new sneakers/iphone and take something they want rather than need which puts to rest the desperation angle

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone who robs a mum with her 3 kids at woolworths is s**t. Desperate perhaps, still s**t. There's your clear image.
I don't think people really disagree as an immediate reaction to that scenario, but just don't see the jackboot method as the only solution.

Social help and the like can be the circuit breaker between birth and criminality.

By the time you're doing circuit breaker police responses, it's too late for many.

Hmm...

When the voices amplifying this problem are the same ones that defend Lehrmann and Roberts-Smith and employ the likes Andrew Bolt I think that's a bit of wishful thinking there.

I dont know why this needs to be explained

It's an image, shorn of context.

That's what you don't seem to get: I could judge you by the worst thing you've done or said on this forum, Burge, but I don't. There's always more to it.
Most people stealing aren't just taking bread and oats to feed their family. Usually have new sneakers/iphone and take something they want rather than need which puts to rest the desperation angle
But most thieves don't start by stealing sneakers or an iphone.

If you want this problem fixed, you need to stop that first theft. Stopping someone once a pattern of behaviour has been established is hard; prevention is better than cure.

The more crimes you commit, the less a judge is likely to give you much leeway.

If you and I go to court for 5 grams of cocaine possession with no prior offences, we'll likely be sent to a drug rehab program once and a fine.

If someone with 10 B&E's, 5 assaults, 20 thefts goes to court for the same, do you think the courts should let them off lightly or see a pattern and perhaps punish more as a deterrent?

Most importantly, and something you just keep overlooking. The citizens who are not losers deserve to feel safe in their community. Locking someone up should be as much about that as worrying about the drop kick. Who GAF if it works rehabbing them if it keeps the rest of the suburb safe?!
My man if you're walking the streets with $1500 of coke you are gonna get intent to sell because there'd be no other reason to have that much.

If a bloke with that rap sheet had 5 grams of coke i'd be asking if he won the lotto, he'd also be doing meth cause it's more cost effective but I digress. Yes he should also get the same rehab and fine. If he's got a long history of violence and beats his wife, then I'd expect you to get a lesser sentence for your first time wife beating

Drug crime, violent crime, and property crime are all different and should be treated as such.

My man if you're walking the streets with $1500 of coke you are gonna get intent to sell because there'd be no other reason to have that much.

If a bloke with that rap sheet had 5 grams of coke i'd be asking if he won the lotto, he'd also be doing meth cause it's more cost effective but I digress. Yes he should also get the same rehab and fine. If he's got a long history of violence and beats his wife, then I'd expect you to get a lesser sentence for your first time wife beating

Drug crime, violent crime, and property crime are all different and should be treated as such.
Way to miss any and all points. Arguing for arguments sake at that point

Remove this Banner Ad

Back