NT Alice Springs: 2024 Curfew

Remove this Banner Ad

Part of the problem is people who have never lived a day in the NT being of the belief they know how to fix our problems, as illustrated in this forum.
The curfew isn't a knee jerk, people have been screaming for it for years and tuesday's behaviour was the final straw.
Bandaid solution? Yes absolutely, however people are fed up with this behaviour.
Bashing down on the indigenous is not the answer which so many up here have adopted however people are fed up with this behaviour and fed up with no leaders in the communities taking any accountability what so ever.
But won't the local leaders and elders know what to do?

NT copper trying to blame social media for the crime problem with a straight face.
It doesn't bloody help Gough.

These kids are posting up their "escapades" on TikTok/Facey/whatever and pretty much thumbing their noses at the cops and the law in general. It happens endlessly here in Townsville - and I'm sure in multiple other cities and towns.

It glorifies it amongst their "circle", and can certainly "influence" others.

It ain't the blame, but it doesn't help.

But, hey, let's call out the cop.

It doesn't bloody help Gough.

These kids are posting up their "escapades" on TikTok/Facey/whatever and pretty much thumbing their noses at the cops and the law in general. It happens endlessly here in Townsville - and I'm sure in multiple other cities and towns.

It glorifies it amongst their "circle", and can certainly "influence" others.

It ain't the blame, but it doesn't help.

But, hey, let's call out the cop.
Twenty years ago he would have blamed video games, thirty years ago it would have been violent movies. He may be right here but like those other two examples, for some people social media seems to have morphed into an all purpose scapegoat for anything they don’t like.

Twenty years ago he would have blamed video games, thirty years ago it would have been violent movies. He may be right here but like those other two examples, for some people social media seems to have morphed into an all purpose scapegoat for anything they don’t like.
It's a long way past don't like.

We might be making a start when we actually start "blaming" the perpetrators. Rather than casting aspersions at the poor saps in the front line.

It’s a perfectly legitimate criticism. Social media algorithms are designed to target your interests. If kids are interested in cricket and Minecraft, their feeds will be lined with such content. If they and their friends like anarchy, that’s what will be displayed to them. It looks like the norm because the content is displayed to them.

It's of course a temporary band aid measure but I don't get why anybody would be against the trial of a curfew, what good has ever come from children being out on their own in the middle of the night? What's the downside if giving it a go?
There's no downside at all. Particularly if it gives the coppers:
  • Less B & E's to attend
  • Less stolen cars to chase
  • Less general mayhem to sort out
The local media in Townsville have been SCREAMING about the whole youth crime issue for years. Now, it's a bit of click bait and a bit of factual and a bit of beat up, but do you know what's funny?.......

Every now and again the coppers do a huge round up and REALLY clean out the core perpetrators all at the same time. (And they know 'em)

Then everyone in journalism/politics world gets excited that the crime has dropped. And talks up the good work the coppers have done. Wash/Rinse/Repeat at roughly 6 monthly intervals.

I wonder if there's a correlation between the perpetrators being off the streets, pre-sentencing ( ie waiting to be let out with a slap on the wrist ), and the lack of crime. :think:

The coppers have had a gutsful. The recidivism problem is squarely at the foot of the Pollies. They make the sentencing laws.

It's the same crims, over and over and over. It's impossible to steal a car/commit a B & E when you're in the slot. See previous comment re Pollies and sentencing laws.

No one in the towns/cities with these issues gives a rat's arse about what the long term cause/solutions are.

They just want a safe place to live where their stuff doesn't keep getting ****ed up. NOW.

We can work out long-term solutions after the short-term target is eliminated.

At the moment it's like the Poms working out how the political future of Germany is gunna be when London is still getting the piss bombed out of it.

Last edited:
If only we had a group of elders with knowledge and experience we could ask and seek advice from…
How would one get said advice? How would we hear their voice?

The coppers have had a gutsful. The recidivism problem is squarely at the foot of the Pollies. They make the sentencing laws.
Recidivism? What particularly would sentencing changes do for recidivism?

There's no downside at all. Particularly if it gives the coppers:
  • Less B & E's to attend
  • Less stolen cars to chase
  • Less general mayhem to sort out
The local media in Townsville have been SCREAMING about the whole youth crime issue for years. Now, it's a bit of click bait and a bit of factual and a bit of beat up, but do you know what's funny?.......

Every now and again the coppers do a huge round up and REALLY clean out the core perpetrators all at the same time. (And they know 'em)

Then everyone in journalism/politics world gets excited that the crime has dropped. And talks up the good work the coppers have done. Wash/Rinse/Repeat at roughly 6 monthly intervals.

I wonder if there's a correlation between the perpetrators being off the streets, pre-sentencing ( ie waiting to be let out with a slap on the wrist ), and the lack of crime. :think:

It's the same crims, over and over and over. It's impossible to steal a car/commit a B & E when you're in the slot. See previous comment re Pollies and sentencing laws.

No one in the towns/cities with these issues gives a rat's arse about what the long term cause/solutions are.

They just want a safe place to live where their stuff doesn't keep getting ****ed up. NOW.

We can work out long-term solutions after the short-term target is eliminated.

At the moment it's like the Poms working out how the political future of Germany is gunna be when London is still getting the piss bombed out of it.
Troy  Tate Thompson gonna kick heads for you is he? Bet you'll be cheering that on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Recidivism? What particularly would sentencing changes do for recidivism?
I'll give you a hint.

It's hard to re-offend if......................

But if you can't join the dots, the frequency of recidivism will go down in proportion to how long the offender is not free to offend.

I'll give you a hint.

It's hard to re-offend if......................

But if you can't join the dots, the frequency of recidivism will go down in proportion to how long the offender is not free to offend.
Lock people up for life?

Lock people up for life?
Did you win the long jump frequently at school?

The ball is in the crim's court.

Don't offend, don't end up in jail.

Keep offending, keep ending up in jail.

Assuming of course that sooner or later a government will actually make some sentencing laws with teeth, rather than giving the judiciary the option of allowing grubs with massive rap sheets back out into the community after ludicrously short times in custody - if at all.

Every "progressive" 's favourite trump card.

How is what he said racist? Go interrogate a large group of troubled delinquents anywhere in the world and report back how much respect they showed to what you're doing.

Such a foolish comment. Walk a day in campbell shoes and you might learn a thing or two about how to deal with Aboriginal people.

Part of the problem is people who have never lived a day in the NT being of the belief they know how to fix our problems, as illustrated in this forum.
The curfew isn't a knee jerk, people have been screaming for it for years and tuesday's behaviour was the final straw.
Bandaid solution? Yes absolutely, however people are fed up with this behaviour.
Bashing down on the indigenous is not the answer which so many up here have adopted however people are fed up with this behaviour and fed up with no leaders in the communities taking any accountability what so ever.

People who have gone into the Alice and lived there are part of the problem. Many of them happy to exploit Aboriginal people for their own gain. The issues they have brought Aboriginal people is insurmountable. Part of the problem is those that have never lived a day as an Aboriginal thinking they have the solution to Aboriginal problems.

It's a long way past don't like.

We might be making a start when we actually start "blaming" the perpetrators. Rather than casting aspersions at the poor saps in the front line.

Start dealing with what caused the issues for Aboriginal people and then you might start getting a solution.

People who have gone into the Alice and lived there are part of the problem. The issues they have brought Aboriginal people is insurmountable. Part of the problem is those that have never lived a day as an Aboriginal thinking they have the solution to Aboriginal problems.
It's very odd to me how you want aboriginal people treated so wildly differently to everyone else whilst at the same time screaming for equality. Surely at some point there's a responsibility to 'fit in' or try something different (I couldn't think of a better way to frame that so please don't take offense to the last bit).

It's very odd to me how you want aboriginal people treated so wildly differently to everyone else whilst at the same time screaming for equality. Surely at some point there's a responsibility to 'fit in' or try something different (I couldn't think of a better way to frame that so please don't take offense to the last bit).

I don’t want Aboriginals people treated any different. I want the horrendous gap in education, health, life expectancy and health literacy to close. I want the many Aboriginals in this country who are beaten and broken by a system that destroyed many of them to gain self belief and pride and to realise they are not the Sub species they have been treated like. I want Aboriginal communities to be self managing. I wsnt Aboriginal youths to be engaged and active and able ti walk in both worlds. That what I want. I won’t even broach the ‘fit in’ comment.

It's very odd to me how you want aboriginal people treated so wildly differently to everyone else whilst at the same time screaming for equality.

How is respect and consultation any different to how you want to be treated?

Surely at some point there's a responsibility to 'fit in' or try something different (I couldn't think of a better way to frame that so please don't take offense to the last bit).

I know stuff all about these communities really. But there are some things that are universal among all people.

For the rest, why is your way the only way?

‘Screaming for equality’ Seriously.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back