AFL overtaking NRL in QLD

Remove this Banner Ad

Broncos, Dolphins and Cowboys generate more revenue from football operations than any other rugby league club in the world.
Really? I did a quick google and figured from what I can see Wigan, Leeds & St Helens probably easily ahead or at least match?

Disclaimer: I literally give no shits about the debate, just interested at your point about the rev generation, if accurate that's pretty interesting.

In these austere times NO SPORT should rely on taxpayers money
I agree with you NO SPORT should receive taxpayers money and that should apply to the Tassie stadium as well, which when i last looked was going to cost taxpayers more than any PNG NRL Team.
Soccer clubs in England don't receive taxpayers money for stadium builds or rebuilds so why should sports teams here receive taxpayers money?
No sports getting funding would absolutely destroy community sport and as long as elite sports fund community sport the government will always support the top level. It’s also like saying no business should get government funding.

EPL clubs are privately owned, privately owned clubs, I agree should get nothing from the government.

Really? I did a quick google and figured from what I can see Wigan, Leeds & St Helens probably easily ahead or at least match?

Disclaimer: I literally give no shits about the debate, just interested at your point about the rev generation, if accurate that's pretty interesting.

I did a quick bit of googling, and here is what I found for 2022:
The Dolphins weren't in the NRL in 2022, so I haven't included them here. Happy for Wookie to correct any inaccuracies.

The Dolphins weren't in the NRL in 2022, so I haven't included them here. Happy for Wookie to correct any inaccuracies.

If you went off money earnt from actual fans and football operations, that being members/ticket sales etc and put all the northern afl clubs into the nrl competition, you would have the following:

• The swans would be the 2nd biggest club in the competition only behind the Broncos.
  • The Lions the 3rd biggest club in the comp.
  • Suns the 5th biggest club in the comp.
  • Giants the 6th biggest club in the comp.

Last edited:
If you went off money earnt from actual fans, that being members/ticket sales and put all the northern afl clubs into the nrl competition, you would have the following:

• The swans would be the 2nd biggest club in the competition only behind the Broncos.
  • The Lions the 3rd biggest club in the comp.
  • Suns the 5th biggest club in the comp.
  • Giants the 6th biggest club in the comp.
Not disputing you. Read further up, though - my response is to a comment comparing the revenues of those three Superleague clubs with some Queensland clubs.

No sports getting funding would absolutely destroy community sport and as long as elite sports fund community sport the government will always support the top level. It’s also like saying no business should get government funding.

EPL clubs are privately owned, privately owned clubs, I agree should get nothing from the government.
they also can get help.

My club, Sc0unthorpe, had its stadium brought out by the local council, who now run it as a non-profit. And I wouldn't be shocked if the government started to interfere with ownership matters more often. There is a commission looking into ownership of soccer clubs in the UK

You're comparing 65k juniors and seniors playing in organised rugby league competitions with 68k people "participating" in "NAB AFL Auskick, Superstars, junior, youth, senior and social community football from the southern Gold Coast up to Cape York."

The fact you're stupid enough to think there's 68,000 juniors and seniors playing fumbleball in Queensland sums up the gullibility of AwFuL fans. If you go over to p4 of the AFL annual report it says Queensland only has 11 registered competitions and just 168 clubs. Tasmania has more registered competitions and is the only state with less clubs.

There are over 250 rugby league clubs in Queensland playing in over 20 competitions.

Are you starting to see why AwFuL refuses to report how many junior and senior players are registered in Queensland?
168 x 18 = 3024
250 x 13 = 3250
So that is quite a small gap.

And that is without factoring in how many actual teams each club has. RL numbers really drop off for over 18s, so AFL may well have more club participants.

Then again, participation means little about actual popularity. Otherwise that makes basketball the number 1 sport in Melbourne and Soccer number 1 in Sydney.

Then again, participation means little about actual popularity. Otherwise that makes basketball the number 1 sport in Melbourne and Soccer number 1 in Sydney.

Participants that play 3 years or more of a sport are 6x more likely to consume the product as adults. So yes it makes a big difference and is the main reason why the AFL pour so much money into development, especially in the northern states.

Soccer and basketball are different examples, they are In fact very popular but not the domestic form because it isn't the highest level. The EPL for example is now accessible and extremely popular in Australia. Also those two sports are non contact so naturally have a higher participation level.

Original post referred to rev from football operations I thought though, unless I've misunderstood. Broncos and Cowboys total rev is jacked up by gaming isn't it?

Original post referred to rev from football operations I thought though, unless I've misunderstood. Broncos and Cowboys total rev is jacked up by gaming isn't it?

Have a look through the reports lodged with companies house. For example, in 2022, Wigan had 27% of their revenue coming from "matchday", which is about £1.7 million: application-pdf

The Bronco's matchday, according to their 2022 annual report was $17.1 million: 230413---2022-annual-report.pdf (broncos.com.au)

That is an example, but feel free to repeat for the others.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

seriously i leave the forum for a day and this is what I come back to.

We kind of expect better from everyone. Deleted all sorts of fun posts.

Data: Ratings and crowds favour the NRL clubs, registered club players favour rugby league whether you count touch or not. The Dolphins had little impact on the Lions, and it was a great season for both codes in QLD.

In participation - including auskick and school kids and such - the AFL may well pass league, but its really the only measure that its even close.

Crowds favour NRL? Am I reading that wrong?

No, you are reading that correctly.

In 2023, home averages:

Lions - 27455
Broncos - 33793
Dolphins - 25562

Suns - 13733
Titans - 19536

Home finals averages:
Lions - 36016
Broncos - 51235
If you count games played actually on the Gold Coast I read it’s about a 2,500 difference between the Suns and Titans.
With magic round and with the Derby’s between the Queensland sides then NRL will continue to easily outdraw football into the future.

If you count games played actually on the Gold Coast I read it’s about a 2,500 difference between the Suns and Titans.
With magic round and with the Derby’s between the Queensland sides then NRL will continue to easily outdraw football into the future.

You are right to note that the effect of the Magic Round, and of multiple venues.

The Titans' average at Robina was 17054.

The Broncos' and Dolphins' averages can also be disaggregated, as they played home game at multiple venues.

Broncos home H/A games @ Lang Park: 36008 (no Magic Round game) - 9 games
Broncos home H/A games @ Gabba: 27151 - 3 games

Dolphins home H/A games @ Lang Park: 35501 (7 games)
Dolphins home H/A games @ Redcliffe: 10045 (3 games)
Dolphins home game @ Sunshine Coast: 8821 (1 game)
Dolphins home game @ Optus Stadium: 45814 (1 game, part of double header)

And for completists:
Queensland Reds (Super Rugby) H/A games @ Lang Park: 12694 (crowds reported only from 3 games out of 9)
Brisbane Roar (A League Mens) H/A games @ Lang Park: 7811 (3 games to date, next game tonight)

Make of all of that what you will.

No, you are reading that correctly.

In 2023, home averages:

Lions - 27455
Broncos - 33793
Dolphins - 25562

Suns - 13733
Titans - 19536

Home finals averages:
Lions - 36016
Broncos - 51235
The Gabba only holds about 38.000 now so you cannot compare that with Suncorp at 52,000.

In these austere times NO SPORT should rely on taxpayers money

Thank god your opinion is worthless.

Sport is a huge part of Australian culture. Sport in this country brings people together, it is literally the fabric of regional areas, the mental and physical benefits can never be understated, the economical benefits are incredible, it helps build national pride, it provides people with a purpose, it provides jobs, it keeps people off the streets and it helps build connections internationally. I could go on.

Wow. Calm down mate.

I'm totally calm buddy. You should see if you can spot a troll.

Any government funding that goes into sports in Australia s worth every cent.
Sport is a fundamental fabric of this country.

Completely content my tax money goes into anything to do with sports.

Thank god your opinion is worthless.

Sport is a huge part of Australian culture. Sport in this country brings people together, it is literally the fabric of regional areas, the mental and physical benefits can never be understated, the economical benefits are incredible, it helps build national pride, it provides people with a purpose, it provides jobs, it keeps people off the streets and it helps build connections internationally. I could go on.
The point is a majority of people agree with me.
any sports that want new or redeveloped stadium they should use their own money

Last edited:
The point is a majority of people agree with me.
any sports that want new or redeveloped stadium they should use their own money
Can you name a precedent from other sporting bodies in this country who have redeveloped venues without government help?

Sport in this country is vastly different from the US or Europe where billionaire owners of teams decide to build new stadiums or in some instances, relocate teams to enhance their profits.

Are you advocating for greater private ownership of clubs and stadiums in Australia?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back