AFL overtaking NRL in QLD

Remove this Banner Ad

"Federal politics has always had a strong bias towards Rugby"
Yes Rugby Union, not Rugby League, which some people in the establishment hate, as it perceived as Anti establishment.

Yeah I know about that, I believe in the case of the GABBA the fella on the Olympics committee who's conning them into Suncorp is a West Tiger's man or something I read on other threads here.

"Federal politics has always had a strong bias towards Rugby"
Yes Rugby Union, not Rugby League, which some people in the establishment hate, as it perceived as Anti establishment.
Albanese - Rabbitohs supporter
Morrison - Sharks supporter
Turnbull - Roosters supporter
Abbott - Sea Eagles supporter

Seems like rugby league has had its fair share of representation lately. Let's also point out that rugby union venues double as rugby league venues so it's not like the NRL isn't benefitting as well.

Seems like rugby league has had its fair share of representation lately. Let's also point out that rugby union venues double as rugby league venues so it's not like the NRL isn't benefitting as well.
Lets also point out that AFL grounds double up as Cricket grounds as well., and Cricket is well and truly the game of the Australian establishment.

Lets also point out that AFL grounds double up as Cricket grounds as well., and Cricket is well and truly the game of the Australian establishment.
Sure does, but why stop at pointing out the Aussie rules capabilities of an oval stadium? State of Origin has been held at the MCG, Adelaide Oval and Perth Stadium several times over the last 5-6 years. Last year the Roosters played multiple home games at the SCG, the Storm played a few home games at Marvel Stadium and the Broncos played several home games at the Gabba. Isn't it great to have venues all over the country that benefit all the major sports and not just a select few?

I can't see that happening. Too much bitter history to join forces

I wouldn't really know tbh, VFL/AFL born & bread here, a fair bit of interest in the soccer over the summer past 15 years or so, which usually quickly evaporates come Round 1. It'd be AFL, NRL, Soccer then Union is it here, or has Soccer bypassed NRL by now?

I point them all out its called balance and facts
Balance would have been pointing out the fact that the oval stadiums are capable of (and do) host cricket, Aussie rules, rugby league, rugby union and soccer. Instead you chose to only point out that oval venues can host cricket and AFL to make it seem like it's the same as rectangular venues for rugby league and rugby union.

The FACT of the matter is cricket and Aussie rules can't be played at these rectangular venues, with the one exception being the Olympic stadium because of the convertible nature in which it was built. Meanwhile rugby league, rugby union and soccer can (and do) play at these oval venues on a fairly regular basis. The Matildas played in front of massive crowds in Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane & Perth last year and all games barring the Brisbane ones were played at venues capable of hosting both rectangular and oval sports.

So when these politicians put money towards an oval stadiums, they are benefitting all the major sports in Australia. When they put money towards a rectangular stadium, it's really only benefitting the rugby codes and soccer.

The other thing in common that those 4 PMs have is that they are from NSW so of course they would claim they supported a NRL team.

Albo at least says he is also a Hawthorn fan starting from the 1980s when the Hawks were a strong team winning multiple flags.

View attachment 1923293View attachment 1923294View attachment 1923295View attachment 1923296View attachment 1923297Great coverage of the Suns season launch today in the GC Bulletin. Lots of excitement around Hardwick and a new dawn. Who said no AFL presence in Queensland! Includes a really good snapshot of the cultural shift in the Club and complete internal / external alignment. A club going in the right direction.

Suns on the big stage, sellout crowd, on the main channel, every time they've put in a terrible performance in these circumstances, hopefully they deliver today.

Suns on the big stage, sellout crowd, on the main channel, every time they've put in a terrible performance in these circumstances, hopefully they deliver today.
I have a feeling the bigger, stronger and more physical Tigers will take care of the young Suns learning a new gameplan. But that’s not to say I don’t think the Suns are coming. Possibly just not today, or the next month. I hope they win though.

Undeniably a huge opportunity presented to the Suns today. A win could do wonders for the club in so many ways. Here's hoping!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The other thing in common that those 4 PMs have is that they are from NSW so of course they would claim they supported a NRL team.

Albo at least says he is also a Hawthorn fan starting from the 1980s when the Hawks were a strong team winning multiple flags.
I've played a couple of charity Aussie Rules matches with him and he definitely knows the game (even though he is a far more passionate league fan).

View attachment 1923293View attachment 1923294View attachment 1923295View attachment 1923296View attachment 1923297Great coverage of the Suns season launch today in the GC Bulletin. Lots of excitement around Hardwick and a new dawn. Who said no AFL presence in Queensland! Includes a really good snapshot of the cultural shift in the Club and complete internal / external alignment. A club going in the right direction.
Looks like all the media hype/coverage worked for the Suns with what we saw yesterday:

Suns v Tigers @ Carrara: 22,086
Titans v Dragons @ Robina: 14,537

The Titans had been similarly hyped in the off season with their new high profile coach joining and were the heavy favourites to win yesterday, but instead they got smashed at home to a team that finished second last in 2023. This is the exact outcome the AFL was looking for when they scheduled Opening Round. A massive head-to-head win over the NRL on the Gold Coast yesterday.

Looks like all the media hype/coverage worked for the Suns with what we saw yesterday:

Suns v Tigers @ Carrara: 22,086
Titans v Dragons @ Robina: 14,537

The Titans had been similarly hyped in the off season with their new high profile coach joining and were the heavy favourites to win yesterday, but instead they got smashed at home to a team that finished second last in 2023. This is the exact outcome the AFL was looking for when they scheduled Opening Round. A massive head-to-head win over the NRL on the Gold Coast yesterday.
Aussie Rules is bigger on the Gold Coast the League. It’s just the rest of Queensland where league is bigger

Aussie Rules is bigger on the Gold Coast the League. It’s just the rest of Queensland where league is bigger
Don't think I'd go that far (not yet anyway) but Aussie rules is undeniably growing at a fast rate at the grassroots level on the Gold Coast. Junior participation on the GC is exploding and that obviously makes a huge difference. You only have to look at the quantity and quality of prospects coming through the Suns Academy these days as proof of that. Plus, we're also seeing traditionally strong rugby league areas like Palm Beach Currumbin now becoming hotbeds for Aussie rules talent like 2023 first round picks Walter, Read and Graham.

We're at a point now where you legitimately have several talented local Suns players who don't really remember an AFL without the Suns and they grew up supporting the club like Budarick, Uwland, Read and Graham. Having that local flavour of guys on the list who grew up dreaming of pulling on the red and gold jumper makes a difference because it's more than just a job to them and it also creates deeper roots within the grassroots footy community because the locals take pride in seeing one of their own making it to the big stage.

Just have to keep building momentum through winning and the rest will take care of itself. FWIW I still think rugby league is number 1 on the GC at the moment. It appears to be getting close to 50/50 though.

Not saying you aren't right I agree rugby league is likely still bigger, however.

Participation is the only metric where Aussie Rules does better than League.

Titans average crowds are 15% bigger.
They add a good 20 percent to their figures, I've seen their crowds, even yesterday's number was far fetched.

RL has double the TV ratings

How do you know that, do you get the ratings specifically for the gold coast?
RL (usually) dominates the media space.

Yeah but that isn't a measure of anything other than historical favoritism. An example is the swans are the biggest club in nsw, get barely any media. I'd say the suns get the best media outta all 4 northern clubs with the gc bulletin, but that's not saying much.

Not saying you aren't right I agree rugby league is likely still bigger, however.

They add a good 20 percent to their figures, I've seen their crowds, even yesterday's number was far fetched.

How do you know that, do you get the ratings specifically for the gold coast?

Yeah but that isn't a measure of anything other than historical favoritism. An example is the swans are the biggest club in nsw, get barely any media. I'd say the suns get the best media outta all 4 northern clubs with the gc bulletin, but that's not saying much.
For TV ratings was comparing the FTA for Titans v Suns in Queensland. You are right this is not the GC ratings (it is Brisbane).

Nah.

Participation is the only metric where Aussie Rules does better than League.

Titans average crowds are 15% bigger.
RL has double the TV ratings
RL (usually) dominates the media space.
The Titans don’t dominate the Suns on the GC with the local GC media. The nightly GC 7/9 news bulletins and the GC Bulletin would be reasonably close to 50/50. Maybe Titans get 60/40.. Whstever, it’s not that different and AFL is growing much faster than league on the coast. PS: I live on the GC so I’ve been quite close to how things play out up here..

The AFL no doubt heavily invests in school programs on the GC (and everywhere in Qld and NSW) but independent data from Ausplay relating to the GC has RL well ahead in club participation which is the most important type.

For all age groups, RL leads with 1.5% to 1.0% for AF. For those aged between 5-17, it's 6.9% for RL compared to just 4.1% for AF.
FWIW, Touch Rugby is ahead of AF as well.

Microsoft Power BI (at 22)

The AFL no doubt heavily invests in school programs on the GC (and everywhere in Qld and NSW) but independent data from Ausplay relating to the GC has RL well ahead in club participation which is the most important type.

For all age groups, RL leads with 1.5% to 1.0% for AF. For those aged between 5-17, it's 6.9% for RL compared to just 4.1% for AF.
FWIW, Touch Rugby is ahead of AF as well.

Microsoft Power BI (at 22)
Is there a way to see the comparative data on participation numbers from 10 years ago when the Suns were still in their infancy? That would be a good indication of whether Aussie rules participation has truly grown on the Gold Coast. For all we know, 2014 Gold Coast participation numbers may have been 10:1 in favour of rugby league as opposed to the 3:2 ratio that we're seeing today.

Is there a way to see the comparative data on participation numbers from 10 years ago when the Suns were still in their infancy? That would be a good indication of whether Aussie rules participation has truly grown on the Gold Coast. For all we know, 2014 Gold Coast participation numbers may have been 10:1 in favour of rugby league as opposed to the 3:2 ratio that we're seeing today.
Ausplay began collecting data in 2015 but they don't have the historical data on their website.

However, AFLQ has very detailed data on their website relating to participation for all regions from 2014 to 2019 which you can see at 33 below. Club/Auskick/AFL 9's participation grew only modestly at 7% on the GC and that was all due to increased female participation (which happened everywhere). The number of male players in this critical category actually declined!

Having so many AFL games in SEQ (including the GC) in 2020 and the on-field success of the Lions are likely to have spurred club growth since then across SEQ. The big increase in AFL grassroots funding (particularly targeting Qld and NSW) which occurred in 2023 and on-field success for the Suns will also obviously help going forward.

Ausplay began collecting data in 2015 but they don't have the historical data on their website.

However, AFLQ has very detailed data on their website relating to participation for all regions from 2014 to 2019 which you can see at 33 below. Club/Auskick/AFL 9's participation grew only modestly at 7% on the GC and that was all due to increased female participation (which happened everywhere). The number of male players in this critical category actually declined!

Having so many AFL games in SEQ (including the GC) in 2020 and the on-field success of the Lions are likely to have spurred club growth since then across SEQ. The big increase in AFL grassroots funding (particularly targeting Qld and NSW) which occurred in 2023 and on-field success for the Suns will also obviously help going forward.

2015-19 was probably the worst period in the Suns' history where it just kept losing high profile players, the club was seemingly glued towards the bottom of the ladder and they hadn't yet entered the AFLW. Meanwhile, the Titans had some success during that period including several finals appearances and some marquee signings along the way. So I'm not really surprised to see during that specific five-year period that we saw male participation drop. 2019 also happened to be the year that the AFL provided the Suns with an assistance package that included somewhere between $500k-$1m in funding for its academy and I'm sure at least a portion of that extra funding went towards promotion at the school/grassroots level. So it would be really interesting to see the junior participation numbers on the Gold Coast from 2019 to now as a lot has changed since then.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back