AFL overtaking NRL in QLD

Remove this Banner Ad

Why do these always devolve into a d* measuring contest.

Why does one have to be better than the other?
Imagine being an adult and acting like a four year old child posting things like "AwFuL and fumbleball" on an AFL forum.

I love league and Australian Football, and don't see why they have to be in competition with each other. Most people can enjoy more than one thing at once.

As some one who's lived in Queensland all of my life, I can only laugh at the delusion that AwFuL is taking over NRL in the Sunshine State.

Look at the TV ratings on FTA in Brisbane:

Broncos 170k
Cowboys 131k
Titans 131k
Dolphins 126k
Non-Queensland NRL Teams 98k
Overall NRL Average 111k

Lions 48k
Suns 22k
Non-Queensland AwFuL Teams 26k
Overall AwFuL Average 30k

To get an idea of how big NRL is in Brisbane, compare it with the terrible FTA ratings for AwFuL in Perth:

Eagles 74k
Dockers 69k
Non-Perth AwFuL Teams 45k

Keep in mind that all Lions, Suns, Eagles and Dockers games are broadcast live on FTA in their home markets. Not all Broncos, Dolphins, Cowboys and Titans games are broadcast live on FTA.

Once the Brisbane Tigers get an NRL licence it'll be the beginning of the end for the Lions. Tigers have an asset base of $135m and four junior clubs in Logan, including two in the area surrounding the Lions@Springwood Social Club.

Funny because I've lived in Brisbane 3 times and only at one workplace has anyone ever cared about NRL.

Even then, they mostly only ever watched Origin anyway.

A Perth NRL team doesn't need to compete with the AFL crowds.

A third Perth AFL team will need to get ~30k to not be embarrassing next to West Coast and Freo, but a Perth NRL team only needs to get 10-15k crowds to match the NRL. And I reckon it'd be a pretty safe bet.

A new time-zone, an underserviced market, a Perth NRL team seems like such a homerun.

A PNG NRL team affects the AFL least of any option. Next to no competition for any AFL team. I'm not a fan of that much government money going to a team, but I think a PNG team would be pretty cool if they could pull it off. Go for gold.
I'm not worried about competing AFL. I would like to see a team in PNG because the people up there love it.

My biggest concern with a Perth NRL team is where it gets its players from. Just like the Storm,it will rely on Queensland, New South Wales and New Zealand. I don't think there's enough players to support Melbourne and Perth. If Perth is unable to attract talent then it will be a disaster.

The last place AFL want the NRL to place another team is southern Brisbane.

* off tossball w***er. How's your participation in QLD going, I think the AFL even passed it this year and it's meant to be one of the only two states in the country that actually play the s**t pommie sport 🤣
On p9 of the latest QRL annual report, CEO Rohan Sawyer said there are 65,000 registered rugby league players in Queensland.

Note that is 65k people who've registered to play for a rugby league club at junior and senior level. It doesn't include OzTag and Touch.

AFLQ use very rubbery statistics to fudge their numbers. They don't state how many people are registered to play in junior and senior competition. Instead, the include the amount of people playing "NAB AFL Auskick, Superstars, junior, youth, senior and social community football from the southern Gold Coast up to Cape York."

AFLQ's report says "more than 30,000 Auskickers" and "more than 4,000 girls now participate in junior competitions".

Joining "AusKick" is not the same as registering to play fumbleball in an organised competition.

The AFLQ report also includes people who play in a wheelchair competition.

The only thing they revealed is there's 4,000 girls playing in organised junior competitions. When you include AusKick and the other programs, the figure comes up to 68,000. Not very impressive when more than 30,000 of that number is tied up in AusKick.

The only source that cited the amount of fumbleball juniors in Queensland was the ABC:

"We now have 13,000 juniors, and that's the biggest competition in the country," AFLQ state manager of game development Mark Ensor said.

Last edited:
The last place AFL want the NRL to place another team is southern Brisbane.

The Lions have had their most successful season off-field in decades, coinciding with the Dolphins' first season. If a third NRL team comes in, I'd be more worried for the other two NRL teams than the Lions.

But in all honesty, Brisbane is under-serviced for a city of its size. A third NRL team could be successful without even making a dent in the other three teams.

So 68k compared to the pathetic 65k? So yeah Australian football has more participants than toss and tackle does in Queensland 🤣. Seriously, the dumbest sport in the world with the dumbest fans.

That's embarrassing for you. No wonder you are all wound up trolling this forum. Typical throwball fan with your little sport syndrome.
You're comparing 65k juniors and seniors playing in organised rugby league competitions with 68k people "participating" in "NAB AFL Auskick, Superstars, junior, youth, senior and social community football from the southern Gold Coast up to Cape York."

The fact you're stupid enough to think there's 68,000 juniors and seniors playing fumbleball in Queensland sums up the gullibility of AwFuL fans. If you go over to p4 of the AFL annual report it says Queensland only has 11 registered competitions and just 168 clubs. Tasmania has more registered competitions and is the only state with less clubs.

There are over 250 rugby league clubs in Queensland playing in over 20 competitions.

Are you starting to see why AwFuL refuses to report how many junior and senior players are registered in Queensland?

Attachments

• 6C96BB09-FF42-413D-A7B2-6680EB63F708.png
    6C96BB09-FF42-413D-A7B2-6680EB63F708.png
    130 KB · Views: 22
The Lions have had their most successful season off-field in decades, coinciding with the Dolphins' first season. If a third NRL team comes in, I'd be more worried for the other two NRL teams than the Lions.

But in all honesty, Brisbane is under-serviced for a city of its size. A third NRL team could be successful without even making a dent in the other three teams.
Broncos, Dolphins and Cowboys generate more revenue from football operations than any other rugby league club in the world. Broncos and Dolphins drew more fans to Lang Park than the Lions at the Gabba. The Dolphins averaged 32k at the Gabba. The Broncos were higher.

Broncos, Dolphins and Cowboys generate more revenue from football operations than any other rugby league club in the world. Broncos and Dolphins drew more fans to Lang Park than the Lions at the Gabba. The Dolphins averaged 32k at the Gabba. The Broncos were higher.

Lol wow, in the world? In a world where the only place the sport is popular is the third world country PNG.

Shouldn't you be off playing the pokies to help keep most of the NRL clubs from going out of existence? Did you know the Giants earn more from football tickets/memberships than the NRL powerhouses Penrith and Melbourne storm do combined? It just shows how much of a bush league joke of a competition it is you're following.

ive lived in qld for 10+ years now, moving from perth.
i know nrl gets higher ratings, but whenever i am with local qlders (or nsw folks who have oved up here), and the nrl is on, they seem to watch it like most people watch cricket - its just on in background while they do other stuff. unlike i think most afl tv watchers who like watch it like its a movie, concentrate on the game, only get up a after a goal to grab a drink,food or take a piss

so maybe thats why nrl gets high ratings, people have it on, but there is little engagement. much less talk about the game the next day or at work etc

IMHO

just my observations

I lived in Sydney for 22 years and have made the exact same observation - the television is on but nobody is watching.
NRL fans do seem to be almost completely results-based with little discussion of the game itself
whilst AFL fans are the opposite stating how good the game was to watch but unfortunately the umpire conspired against us etc.

Last edited:

So what your saying is, there's multiple successful clubs across multiple codes across Brisbane?

The only source that cited the amount of fumbleball juniors in Queensland was the ABC:

Why are you acting so derogatory about rugby league - fumbles are in rugby league.
That's why they replaced a man's leather ball ball with a kiddie soft rubber ball.
Knocking or tapping a ball to advantage or to maintain possession is a skill in Australian Football.

When the ABS gave out meaningful statistics (last century) on the different codes it was quite close.
Of course rugby league was number one but not by as much as you might expect. Rugby union and Australian Football were roughly equal with soccer bringing up the rear.
Since then we have to interpolate a lot. Australian Football is more suspectable to fluctuations in line with the Lions fortunes, but the gap has closed with rugby union being the big loser.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lol wow, in the world? In a world where the only place the sport is popular is the third world country PNG.

Shouldn't you be off playing the pokies to help keep most of the NRL clubs from going out of existence? Did you know the Giants earn more from football tickets/memberships than the NRL powerhouses Penrith and Melbourne storm do combined? It just shows how much of a bush league joke of a competition it is you're following.
Do you have any evidence to support your claim?

Provide me with the annual reports of Storm, Panthers and Giants to validate your claim?

Attendances are not in the Giants' favour.

Giants averaged 10,061.

Storm averaged 20,924.

Panthers averaged 18,865.

While you're at it, can you tell me how many juniors and seniors play fumbleball in Queensland?

Of the 68k "participants", more than 30k of them are registered in AusKick programs. There are 4k female juniors playing in organised competition.

When AFLQ released the actual numbers many years ago they had about 20k juniors and seniors playing in organised fumbleball matches.

Do you have any evidence to support your claim?

Provide me with the annual reports of Storm, Panthers and Giants to validate your claim?

Attendances are not in the Giants' favour.

Giants averaged 10,061.

Storm averaged 20,924.

Panthers averaged 18,865.

While you're at it, can you tell me how many juniors and seniors play fumbleball in Queensland?

Of the 68k "participants", more than 30k of them are registered in AusKick programs. There are 4k female juniors playing in organised competition.

When AFLQ released the actual numbers many years ago they had about 20k juniors and seniors playing in organised fumbleball matches.
So how many junior/senior players does RL have in Melbourne a city of 5.3 million eh? A few thousand if they are lucky.

talking about "the world"?

Well Australian Football is played regularly in over 55 countries and irregularly in a further 15 countries.
So yes, Australian Football is played throughout the world.

Your game is only played in

Across Australia in all of the states, major territories and major cities.
Australian Football is Australia's indigenous game, a game to be proud of and a game to be supported.

I find your comments about NRL laughable
but why do you need to denigrate Australia's game or do you denigrate all other sport ?

You're comparing 65k juniors and seniors playing in organised rugby league competitions with 68k people "participating" in "NAB AFL Auskick, Superstars, junior, youth, senior and social community football from the southern Gold Coast up to Cape York."

The fact you're stupid enough to think there's 68,000 juniors and seniors playing fumbleball in Queensland sums up the gullibility of AwFuL fans. If you go over to p4 of the AFL annual report it says Queensland only has 11 registered competitions and just 168 clubs. Tasmania has more registered competitions and is the only state with less clubs.

There are over 250 rugby league clubs in Queensland playing in over 20 competitions.

Are you starting to see why AwFuL refuses to report how many junior and senior players are registered in Queensland?
Irrespective of whether AusKick participants are included or not, I’m satisfied with the growing presence of Australian Football in a state that’s considered ‘rugby league heartland.’ 168 QLD clubs is an impressive number.

Since you want to bring Tasmania into the argument, let’s make a comparison with the # of rugby league clubs in Tassie - a grand total of zero!

At least our sport maintains a presence outside of its heartland states, as opposed to rugba leeg, which is absolutely non-existent in the southern states because we all see it for it the boring, repetitive, low-skilled, tactically inept bogan fest that it so clearly is.

Provided Australia’s game maintains a presence in QLD & NSW and dominates everywhere else then it will continue to be the biggest footy code in this nation. I suspect you realise this, and it cuts deep, which is why your insecurities motivate you to engage in your pathetic trolling. You’d be best served trotting out your nonsense on the RL forums because your sport is irrelevant to most of us on here.

Irrespective of whether AusKick participants are included or not, I’m satisfied with the growing presence of Australian Football in a state that’s considered ‘rugby league heartland.’ 168 QLD clubs is an impressive number.

Since you want to bring Tasmania into the argument, let’s make a comparison with the # of rugby league clubs in Tassie - a grand total of zero!

At least our sport maintains a presence outside of its heartland states, as opposed to rugba leeg, which is absolutely non-existent in the southern states because we all see it for it the boring, repetitive, low-skilled, tactically inept bogan fest that it so clearly is.

Provided Australia’s game maintains a presence in QLD & NSW and dominates everywhere else then it will continue to be the biggest footy code in this nation. I suspect you realise this, and it cuts deep, which is why your insecurities motivate you to engage in your pathetic trolling. You’d be best served trotting out your nonsense on the RL forums because your sport is irrelevant to most of us on here.
Tassie is fascinating because Union maintains a decent presence, albeit my experience is 10+ years ago vs zero presence for League.

Tassie is fascinating because Union maintains a decent presence, albeit my experience is 10+ years ago vs zero presence for League.
It has more of a presence than league (not a difficult feat), but I wouldn’t define it as a decent presence by any stretch. There’s one league, comprised of 8 clubs spread over the entire state.

It has more of a presence than league (not a difficult feat), but I wouldn’t define it as a decent presence by any stretch. There’s one league, comprised of 8 clubs spread over the entire state.
As I said I have no recent knowledge but it used to get decent attendances a decade ago.

Kids play 8 weeks of Community Auskick at the start of the season in February

They then have the option to do Auskick Play for 6-10 weeks in May with other first year kids to accelerate development if they aren't ready for under age play

Girls get to play in girls teams and mixed teams until under 11/under 12 which accelerates their development

Yes NRL rates its t*ts off

But AFL generates more crowds, more memberships, more revenue and has wider appeal Australia wide

I'm not sure you should be promoting that as a positive. It's why the game has very few exciting highlights as players shy away from taking risks.

Imagine if the AFL penalised knock ons? You'd never see a high mark again.

So they should be penalised for fumbling the ball, it's tossed to them from 1m away, underarm, at waist height under no pressure. My toddler can already catch a ball like that.

So they should be penalised for fumbling the ball, it's tossed to them from 1m away, underarm, at waist height under no pressure. My toddler can already catch a ball like that.
It's the penalty that deters them from trying anything more difficult.

Whenever you see a rugby league promotional video it's 80% big tackles, 10% putting the ball on the ground and 10% players taking the ball above their heads from a kick.

The penalty for making a mistake is the biggest problem with the game IMO. It makes it repetitive and predictable.

seriously i leave the forum for a day and this is what I come back to.

We kind of expect better from everyone. Deleted all sorts of fun posts.

Data: Ratings and crowds favour the NRL clubs, registered club players favour rugby league whether you count touch or not. The Dolphins had little impact on the Lions, and it was a great season for both codes in QLD.

In participation - including auskick and school kids and such - the AFL may well pass league, but its really the only measure that its even close.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back