Player Watch #9 Will Hayward

Remove this Banner Ad

OJ091219MW2517.JPG

Will Hayward
Spritely Sydney Swans forward Will Hayward enjoyed a rocketing start to his career as he became the 11th-youngest player in the AFL era to reach 50 career goals in 2018. The 2016 draftee’s nippy pace and cunning goal awareness have made him a dangerous option in coach John Longmire’s forward line. A broken jaw and a persistent hip injury limited Hayward to just 12 goals in 13 senior games in 2019, but the South Australian is attacking the 2020 campaign on the back of his first full pre-season. Don’t be surprised if the exciting Swan finds himself on a wing this year.

Will Hayward
DOB: 26 October 1998
DEBUT: 2017
DRAFT: #21, 2016 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Walkerville (SA)/North Adelaide (SANFL)

The positional thing sounds like something his manager made up to make his client potential move not all about the "money"
I am under the impression he has already been given a positional change. The last few years he spent a lot of time running back along the wing. This year he is playing closer to goals and I am under the impression that this is where he wants to be.

He is far more dangerous as a result.

I am under the impression he has already been given a positional change. The last few years he spent a lot of time running back along the wing. This year he is playing closer to goals and I am under the impression that this is where he wants to be.

He is far more dangerous as a result.

Yer but the sounding is like he wants to be a full time mid or something.

Be pretty disappointing if he does take the biggest cash

Should be sticking around to try get a flag

Guess it’s a business after all

Can't really be angry with him, not with that kind of cash. You are only an AFL player once, and players can set themselves up for life with a good deal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was a total unknown until Carlton wanted him. Now he's a "gun". It would be funny if it wasn't so transparent.
If he re-signs with us, he’ll be back to being a spud according to the Vic media

The Blues do like Swans players.

But in this case if they really intend to pay $800k x 6 they are off their rockers. The Blues fans willl not be happy when they realise McKay is a more reliable set shot.

Yes, if Will can consistently play like he did against the Giants, I’d love him to stay.

Yes, if he values friendships and the chance of winning a flag ahead of the ridiculous $$ being rumoured, I’d love him to stay.

But… for those who say he plays a difficult underrated role, please remember he hasn't top 10’ed in the B&F, which is an award where ‘role’ players get votes too (eg. Harry has top 10’ed a few times).

For those of you who now think he’s in great form, let me remind you, he’s had one excellent game (Giants), two solid games (Bombers, Hawks), and five poor games!

So unless he starts playing well on a consistent basis (and I hope he does), I’m not gonna jump on the recent Wilbur bandwagon.

And if he does end up leaving, I’d wish him all the best as he seems like a nice young man …. but TBH it also wouldn’t be the worst outcome for the club from salary cap and draft pick perspectives.

Be pretty disappointing if he does take the biggest cash

Should be sticking around to try get a flag

Guess it’s a business after all
So here’s the thing.
Carlton players have said they are taking less to stay together.
Enter the Sydney Swan player for 6 years at $800K.
That outta make him a valued member of that team.

So here’s the thing.
Carlton players have said they are taking less to stay together.
Enter the Sydney Swan player for 6 years at $800K.
That outta make him a valued member of that team.
Why would it be an issue? You're not going to get players of that calibre for free, and if they think its going to get them a premiership them so be it.

But the Blues have a lot of big names coming out of contract next year, they'll also let a fair few go. They won't whine if win them something.

Why would it be an issue? You're not going to get players of that calibre for free, and if they think its going to get them a premiership them so be it.

But the Blues have a lot of big names coming out of contract next year, they'll also let a fair few go. They won't whine if win them something.
Because they have egos.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back