AFL Player # 8: Ben "Goblin" Hobbs

Remove this Banner Ad

I can't put my finger on whether he's got super low footy IQ or super high arrogance, whatever it is , my god he misses so many open teammates by taking the solo option often
Or he is just overthinking the moment rather than taking the first option.

Give the first option
Shitting me to tears at the moment, this. He’s not yet good enough to be doing what he tries to do and he burns opportunities as a result.

He’s going to be a very good player but he needs to get the basics nailed before he tries for the low percentage, high reward options as often as he does.

But then you see Durham in the guts bypass the first option, take a step to the side in traffic and open up a whole world of better options, it's what makes the greats great
There was an obvious one where he could have hit Davey who was directly in front about 30 metres out, that looked pretty bad. At the time I wondered whether he decided not to kick to Davey because he did not see him as a good option.

There was an obvious one where he could have hit Davey who was directly in front about 30 metres out, that looked pretty bad. At the time I wondered whether he decided not to kick to Davey because he did not see him as a good option.

How bout when the quarter was winding down, he'd obviously seen the 30 second sign or whatever, took a mark on the wing and just turned his back and walked, ima taking 15 secs boys, executive decision... meanwhile there was a totally free teammate ahead just outside 50

How bout when the quarter was winding down, he'd obviously seen the 30 second sign or whatever, took a mark on the wing and just turned his back and walked, ima taking 15 secs boys, executive decision... meanwhile there was a totally free teammate ahead just outside 50
Yeah, that was anothery. I need to watch the replay. Might put the kids to bed tonight and grab a few beers and rewatch.

I thought he was good against the saints, poor against Port along with many others and was somewhere in the middle of that against the dogs. I’m confident he can work through his issues in the seniors so for me I would like to see him stay in.

Have to remember he is an inside midfielder playing the high forward role . His issues before the draft where needing to improve his outside game and kicking and what he needs for the role he is now playing needs a bit of outside game and foot skills. We are basically playing a pure inside mini bull at half forward. It is not surprising he is have a few moments most weeks.

"The knock on him will be his outside game and ability to impact a contest from other positions, but unlike some pigeonholed inside midfielders, Hobbs is still able to impact the game by hitting the scoreboard. Multiple goals in the Rebels' win over the Bushrangers, and then goals in his final two games of the NAB League season showed he has enough smarts and strength to able to capitalise away from the coalface. He certainly could improve the outside aspects of his game, including his kicking, which is a main focus for the GWV Rebels on-baller."

Was kicking some opportunistic goals a couple of years back hopefully taps into that again. Has very good hands generally and like his side steps to lose opponents at times something I noticed other clubs do to us. Durham does it too. Just checked and Hobbs is still a few months of being 21 as well. You can see the comparisons with Selwood in terms of finding and getting the hardball but would need to improve disposal and decision making as others have mentioned.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Before last night's game he'd had a very ordinary season. Huge performance from him though, his tenacity in tackles and ability to pop up and kick goals reminded me of why we were so high on him going into this season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back