AFL Player # 8: Ben "Goblin" Hobbs

Remove this Banner Ad

There was one right in front of where I was at the ground that he clearly got a handball away . The other two or three where holding the ball .
Are you talking about the one where he fended off? If so, it was ball. If not, we're talking about different ones.

Are you talking about the one where he fended off? If so, it was ball. If not, we're talking about different ones.
Not the fend . Have no issues there although if you fend and then handball it is play on . Anyway he got done a few times and I think it is more the issue of an inside player being asked to play too much of an outside role 😎

ADJ had zero tackles today

We are giving a bunch of midfielders small forward minutes because the small forwards aren’t ready to own the spots. We get adequate-ish contribution from Hobbs, Parish etc when they are forward but there are shortcomings.

I imagine we would look a bit different with Toby Greene and Bobby Hill in the team 😬

Is he carrying a niggle or did he pick up a injury today?

Lowest game time of both teams today. 60 odd minutes. (non-sub). Also merret ran past him in the last to put defensive pressure on which was a suprise considering hobbs lack of game time.

Atm Caldwell and durham have replaced him for inside toughness.
And he seems to really lack the ability to spread.

also turned the wrong way or was too slow to get it off but has a crack always.

At this stage im not sure if its best to keep playing him out of position and just get games into him or replace with tsatas and let hobbs be the no.1 inside mid for 3 or so weeks in the twos.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is he carrying a niggle or did he pick up a injury today?

Lowest game time of both teams today. 60 odd minutes. (non-sub). Also merret ran past him in the last to put defensive pressure on which was a suprise considering hobbs lack of game time.

Atm Caldwell and durham have replaced him for inside toughness.
And he seems to really lack the ability to spread.

also turned the wrong way or was too slow to get it off but has a crack always.

At this stage im not sure if its best to keep playing him out of position and just get games into him or replace with tsatas and let hobbs be the no.1 inside mid for 3 or so weeks in the twos.
Pretty surprised to be reading this… he must of been involved in more bad then good casue I noticed him a lot. In not a good way

He won a lot of frees as well lost them. At his best he is Selwood like at his worst reminds me of Melksham slow to release the ball and react. I have faith in him.

He has zero spatial awareness and can't use the ball.

Would love to see him have a crack in the forwards because he can stick a tackle and has a nose for the goals.

Have some faith in the kid guys. He's only in his third year and learning a position which doesn't come naturally to him. Usually we love it when he absorbs contact, fends off and dishes to a player. Or how he wins free kicks. Or his mongrel. We were saying this just a week ago.

Today, the game was maybe a bit too hot for him. Maybe he absorbed a bit too much contact, or fended off one too many. Fair enough, considering it's our biggest ever attendance for a H/A game, and we were playing against the reigning premiers. But haven't we been crying out for mids that want to tackle, and stand up when being tackled since Watson? He's not gonna nail it every time, and he'll learn from this. He's 21, and will be a gun in the future.

Not having a crack at him but if Merrett has one of the quickest 'hand-to-foot' kicking motions in the league, this guy would have to have one of the slowest. Winds up his kick for 20 seconds.

Not having a crack at him but if Merrett has one of the quickest 'hand-to-foot' kicking motions in the league, this guy would have to have one of the slowest. Winds up his kick for 20 seconds.
Cox is slower

Hobbs is fast enough when he has decided to give it.

Watching him it feels like he spent his junior footy years never giving the first option, always dodging and weaving. Can’t get away with that.

Definitely not running on top of the ground for whatever reason. Losing a few percent off his speed and agility takes him out of the ok category where I had always seen him, and well into the slow lane.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back