Preview Round 8: Essendon vs West Coast, Data Breach Stadium, Saturday 4th May, 8:10pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

silk

Premium Platinum
Sep 10, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Round 8 sees us travel to Perth for our 4th interstate game in 8 matches to face the somewhat resurgent Eagles. This is a classic Essendon danger game; this should be a comfortable win, but I’m not convinced we’ve shaken off Essington completely just yet.
hkyTbM-kGYElyBo45znemxrdEkBzkLeN4vogyIjCpZOtJt67QCTKYk_TInkhW0j8FkZGE72ix3o-GrQ0wCyjRx0pg7dnxGoVMsv3y21-5c7FWnhESm4HtwCKtkBrS3CavdD-WhjAVDBv8s5T8FqVtI8

Even still, many of us probably thought this would be our 1st or 2nd win; not our potentially 5th win.

The Round That Was

I was oddly frustrated watching the game versus Collingwood; We played so well at times, but so often we’d do something really stupid or really poor and just ruin our momentum. Our midfield played well overall, but we struggled at times with the speed and skills of their better players. Their pressure was very good and we absorbed and battled through really well. Still, can’t help but mourn the silly and stupid moments that essentially cost us the win.

Merret was a worthy winner of the Anzac Day medal, though I thought MrGrath was a bit stiff not to get it.

How come Elliot wasn’t called for high contact on Mckay…
uxpJXqDpwPWEZ6KQR7u5y22Bq7L7ufDVdcm3DmaVK3DtugzjIoJaDuDKeH2ygSRwA7KBaY_kP45gQ0ltCP0-fzthH9iOEQpzAgxiaZID7xRBdZ-pNfPr0Uo2ArLqfdXeMdewt5hfDJeywPmMBbcWkrQ

I’m clearly joking and that was a helluva mark!

ESSENDON 6.1 7.6 9.11 12.13 (85)
COLLINGWOOD 2.6 6.11 9.12 12.13 (85)

GOALS
Essendon: Langford 4, Wright 2, Stringer, Jones, Parish, Draper, A. Davey, Martin
Collingwood: Mihocek 3, Elliott 2, Hoskin-Elliott, N. Daicos, Lipinski, Schultz, J. Daicos, Harrison, McCreery

BEST
Essendon: Merrett, Parish, Langford, Martin, Stringer, McGrath
Collingwood: N. Daicos, Pendlebury, Moore, Mihocek, Noble, J. Daicos

INJURIES
Essendon: Jones (nose)
Collingwood: Nil

SUBSTITUTES
Essendon: Nick Hind (replaced Jones in the fourth term)
Collingwood: Harvey Harrison (replaced Mitchell in the fourth term)

Crowd: 93,644 at the MCG

Eagles were competitive in the first half, but a strong 3rd quarter saw GC cruise to victory.

GOLD COAST 2.3 7.5 13.7 17.10 (112)
WEST COAST 3.1 7.2 8.3 12.3 (75)

GOALS
Gold Coast:
King 3, Walter 2, Anderson 2, Rowell 2, Ainsworth 2, Witts, Rogers, Humphrey, Graham, Fiorini, Day
West Coast: Waterman 4, Darling 2, Cripps 2, Yeo, Ryan, Petruccelle, Maric

BEST
Gold Coast:
Witts, Anderson, Rowell, Powell, Rogers, Miller
West Coast: Waterman, Duggan, Cole, McGovern, Yeo

INJURIES
Gold Coast:
Clohesy (shoulder)
West Coast: Nil

SUBSTITUTES
Gold Coast:
David Swallow (replaced Bailey Humphrey in the fourth quarter)
West Coast: Dom Sheed (replaced Campbell Chesser in the third quarter)

Crowd: 11,440 at People First Stadium

The Last Time We Met

Oh heck this game.. One of the worst wins we’ve had in recent history.. Yeah, you read that correctly. We won by a point against one of the worst-performing teams in recent history who didn’t really want to actually win. We were nearly so s**t that we countered tanking - We are an anti-tank weapon! Gold Coast are lucky they didn’t play us instead of North on that fateful Saturday last August.
H555XXtrLDWVycHCZziS2xqU0RNsV05A9ByU_-coP7f_rfzSATzjBtXs459LQkqbhqaUh_K4eAQrZaIpy2k_WDKrAMmbpyDkLIKFvPD3si41V1QJiK-UYUJWvUi3JxXUwnB4JfSmrIwRH1n7St7OaU8

ESSENDON 1.6 7.8 8.10 10.13 (73)
WEST COAST 2.2 4.3 6.5 11.6 (72)

GOALS
Essendon: Langford 5, Durham, Perkins, Parish, Wright, Redman
West Coast: Cripps 2, Darling 2, Allen 2, Maric 2, Hewett, Williams, Petruccelle

BEST
Essendon: Langford, Parish, Hind, Merrett
West Coast: Kelly, Hunt, Duggan, Witherden

INJURIES
Essendon: None
West Coast: None

SUBSTITUTES
Essendon: Alwyn Davey jnr (replaced Jye Caldwell at three-quarter-time)
West Coast: Greg Clark (replaced Jack Williams in the fourth quarter)

Crowd: 30,742 at Marvel Stadium

The Selection Table

Possible Outs -
Hind -
Davey -
Cox - Potential Injury
Lav -
Hobbs - Struggled today -
Goldy - Rest

Possible Ins -
Guelfi
Hayes -
Roberts -
Shiel -
Tsatas
Perkins
Bryan - In good form

My Prediction

Ess by 32

Last edited:

In: Guelfi, Hayes
Out: Davey, Laverde

Hayes for Laverde won't happen but it shouldve weeks ago.

In: Guelfi, Hayes, Shiel
Out: Jones, Laverde, Hind

McGrath - McKay - Kelly
Redman - Hayes - Heppell
Duursma - Merrett - Martin
Gresham - Langford - Guelfi
Stringer - Wright - Davey
Goldstein - Durham - Caldwell
Parish - Cox - Hobbs - Draper
Shiel

In: Guelfi, Perkins, Shiel
Out: Hobbs, Davey, Hind?

Maybe Hayes and Bryan for Heppell and Goldy if they need managing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richmond are ass (due to record injuries) and Freo were rivals in shambles going in.

In all seriousness this should be a win to go 5/1-2 and Eagles' performances against those teams aren't exactly grand showings to indicate otherwise.

Doesn't have to be a smashing, as we had close affairs against them last year, but a win nonetheless.

Enough's enough with Laverde
Must be replaced by Hayes
If you're not prepared to take a chance and debut him now, then he'll walk at the end of the season
You'd think he would walk? Good riddance if he is that fickle. Doubt that is the case at all.

Players that are yet established rarely walk. Thing is he needs another few preseasons in the gym but should get a taste soon.

This is exactly the game that will define us. A real danger game that in past seasons would have us flat as a tack post Anzac day. We have a good break so no excuses.

I think the team needs freshening up and Goldy could do with a rest prior to GWS.

Davey needs another stint in the VFL IMO. Like that he gives us another dimension but too many times he avoids putting physical pressure on. Many times player right in front of him and he chooses not to tackle. Fix that and he will be a lock.

Lav would not be in the side if Ridley, Reid and Baldwin are fit. Think this game is a good chance to see Hayes.

Guelfi & Shiel in the mix too. Perk maybe but could be saved for GWS. Shame we don't have a VFL game this week to guage form.

Last edited:
OUT: Hind, Lav, Goldy
IN: Shiel, Guelfi, Hayes

Team;-

Hayes McKay McGrath
Heppell Redman Martin
Kelly Caldwell Duursma
Gresham Stringer Shiel
Jones Langford ADavey

Draper Durham Merrett

Bench: Parish Hobbs Cox 2MP
SUB: Guelfi

i hope brad picks hayes, laverde just isn't it. i'd rather give the opportunity to youth and hope that it's a breakout game.

don't think shiel's ready but i reckon it's dependent on his performance this week in the VFL. I think Tsatas needs to come in, too, work him through the middle a bit more than we have.

You'd think he would walk? Good riddance if he is that fickle. Doubt that is the case at all.

Players that are yet established rarely walk. Thing is he needs another few preseasons in the gym but should get a taste soon.

If he got offered a couple of years on a main list somewhere he’d have to look at it, similar to when we lost Jenkins iirc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back