AFL Player # 8: Ben "Goblin" Hobbs

Remove this Banner Ad

I just finished watching the replay and one thing that stood out about Hobbsy is the one percenters he does. Little tap ons and putting his body on the line. Acts that don’t fill the stat sheet. A lot of those efforts resulted in scoring chains.
He and Caldwell both do a lot of that grunt work.

Twice he got the ball tonight from and mark and a free kick and I thought “oh good, we can gain some field position”

Looked down at my dinner, looked up, and it was in port Adelaide hands both times

Pretty sure both were sideways kicks too.

Absolutely shocking game, pretty disappointed with his development tbh

has to be up there with the worst game he has played for us.

turnovers, misses tackles.

just not in it at all.
Tbf he did lay more tackles than all but 2 tonight.

Horrible with ball in hand, fully agree a shocking game.

this bloke plays for the free every time he’s near the ball in our forward 50 and it’s really putting me off him
Yeah I notice he and Wright both do that a lot. So many times they'll give up on the play just the look and whinge at the ump. Probably my most disliked attribute.

Played a shocker but it's a bit of an indictment on the list management that we're playing a one trick pony inside mid as a half forward/small forward. Just doesn't have the kitbag for it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We lack competitiveness so at least he has that. Although unfortunately has dropped a little in this area with going to ground or playing for frees inside 50.

With perkins/durham out him and tsatas should get a chance for more mid minutes.

Showed enough previously just needs to find it again but gets bit lost with setterfield and parish around.

I like what he has to offer but we just don't have room for him at the moment. He is undersized and doesn't have leg speed or kicking depth, if he isn't extracting the ball he offers little value across the field. I personally don't think there is room for him and caldwell in the same midfield. If he isn't in the engine room, he can't be played out of position.

Hate to be negative after such a great win but gee his disposal is terrible and his decision making is questionable.

Can't fault the effort, toughness and heart at least.

I thought his game last night was much better than last week, but he was totally exposed by raw pace last week. He was able to get in contest last night but his disposal and decision making are a shade off. When Setters or Perkins return it wouldn't be so bad if he went to the 2s and developed a bit of chemistry with Eli.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back