Player Watch #45 Hugo Ralphsmith

Remove this Banner Ad

Last night was a tick for a guy with plenty of crosses

Can he play with that work rate and commitment on a more regular basis?

Still have my doubts, but happy to see change on both the wings. Let’s find out if we’ve got the player/s to play what’s a pretty tough role
Selection milestone tonight with Hugo starting and Kmac sub... Kmac finally transitioning out of the 22?

Yze has liked Banks from day 1.

Ross has been on the wing too.

Selection milestone tonight with Hugo starting and Kmac sub... Kmac finally transitioning out of the 22?

Yze has liked Banks from day 1.

Ross has been on the wing too.
Let's see about that as Hopper getting inured brings him back into contention again. JGTI and Grimes still getting games still tells me they're still not competent at their jobs and are heavily involved in a mates system

Last edited:
Let's see about that as Hopper getting inured brings him back into contention again. JGTI and Grimes still getting games still tells me they're still not competent at their jobs and are heavily involved in a mates sysystem

Or maybe because they need some experience on the ground to guide the kids. Otherwise you just have a team of kids running around with no one on ground to guide them.

Think of other reasons they might be playing rather than just assuming the worst of everyone all the time :p

Or maybe because they need some experience on the ground to guide the kids. Otherwise you just have a team of kids running around with no one on ground to guide them.

Think of other reasons they might be playing rather than just assuming the worst of everyone all the time.
That's a copout as our kids were our better players last night. What they need is quality not quantity. You can't keep rewarding mediocrity bc it brings a putrid stench in the place.

Think of other reasons they shouldn't be playing rather than just assuming the best of everyone all the time.
Open your eyes as it's pretty easy to observe that these guys are team deflating.

Still only 22 years old and only 34 games

He showed improvement in area's we wanted to see and was effective on the wing
considering the players he is competing with for the position he has more upside and growth as a winger

I remember back in the day McIntosh & Grigg were heavily criticized and eventually both become premiership players
for me im keeping HRS for another 2 years with where our list is at

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great write up for Hugo.

“The 22-year-old, in his 34th game (second this season) at senior level for the Tigers, had an AFL career-high 21 disposals, a career-high and equal team-high 11 contested possessions, six marks, three tackles, career-high four clearances, four score involvements, four intercepts and 241 metres gained.“

I thought he held nothing back and played with confidence. A real shame he didn’t hold on to the grab in the goal line.
Maybe a tick for Yze for getting him in a good frame of mind.
Has the pace to play AFL and could be our next long term wingman .

He should be able to become one of the best runners in the game. Ed Langdon was never a great kick or decision maker, but once he got to Melbourne he became good enough at those, partly because he was always in so much space. I don't see why Hugo cant get to that level. With McIntosh cooked, Ross out, we don't have many other options for the wing anyway. He needs a run of games in the one position.

Looked too play within his limits last night a bit more handball,,,keep playing him , at his best he is a natural dasher and can add a lot to our line up , a good replacement for macca or Pickett
His big issue was traditionally he got the ball and just booted it long... straight to the oppo. Can't believe it's taken this long for a coach to take him aside and tell him to cut that s**t out and pass the ball. He's a 10x better player for it.

marlion or kamdyn should now have lost their spot for a stretch of games to see if hugo can back this up. has earned some time. impressive on the weekend, i was not convinced on his VFL form but proved otherwise.
Making Kmac sub was like having a bet either way. Like they half expected HRS and Banks to stink it up and wanted the option to bring him in. They just cannot let go. Hopefully they've seen the light now.

Looked too play within his limits last night a bit more handball,,,keep playing him , at his best he is a natural dasher and can add a lot to our line up , a good replacement for macca or Pickett
I thought he took a few more risks as well (in a good way)
Ran through a few stoppages looking to shark the tap
A couple of times it came off and a few it didn’t but it was really good to see him have a crack and win some ground balls

It’s a side of Hugo I’ve never really seen even at vfl level

Remove this Banner Ad

Back