Player Watch #44: Cameron Zurhaar - [AFL.com] NM offers 5yr deal - CZ interest from SYD/GC - CZ mgr says 'wants to see improvement' & 'team success'

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure after what we witnessed from Cam on Sunday how anyone could suggest we have to pay overs for him

As for him wanting some wins to stay, you know there is something you can try to help that Cam?
Cam could be a significant part of our rise back up the ladder, but on current form, he's part of the problem

Cam could be a significant part of our rise back up the ladder, but on current form, he's part of the problem

While the whole JHF thing was a debacle, Cam did himself no favours with his behaviour at the time.

Cam will love Sydney, might miss a few games with calf tightness though :nose::nose::nose::nose:

I strongly suspect that North will be chasing a couple of free agents at the end of this season to start to fill some of those age demographic spots pointed out by Rick18 so losing Zurhaar to a free agency move would be a disaster. They might accept a trade deal similar to the CCJ deal with Richmond but I reckon they will try to convince him to stay. There is still a bit in the war chest so rumour has it.
But will the FA North chase come?! That’s always our problem. If we don’t win a few games and show some ‘green shoots’ will be hard to get them across the line.

I don't think many other clubs are coming for him anyway.

If they are paying big then they would need big numbers to back it up. Cam is nowhere near that. Not even close.

The scrutiny is deserved and his spot in the team should be questioned.

In Q1 on Sunday Cam found himself in an identical position on the flank to where he took a wild shot a couple of weeks earlier. As he was running he was desperately looking for a viable pass to full forward but nothing was on offer so all he had left was a hasty bomb to the square.

He also had a set shot from a mild angle off the other flank. Umpire set the angle but pushed him about three metres off the line to the centre of the goal square. Exactly the same thing was done to Larkey a couple of weeks before and like Larkey, Cam's kick went dead straight, over the head of the man on the mark and through for a behind.

In the first instance I'm sure he was unhappy that the full forward playing game 2 was standing flat footed behind his opponent and in the second instance I am surprised that he chose to kick over the man on the mark instead of kicking it around him.

I didn't have a great perspective on his performances in the centre but I don't recall thinking that it provided any real lift for the team. Thoughts?

I strongly suspect that North will be chasing a couple of free agents at the end of this season to start to fill some of those age demographic spots pointed out by Rick18 so losing Zurhaar to a free agency move would be a disaster. They might accept a trade deal similar to the CCJ deal with Richmond but I reckon they will try to convince him to stay. There is still a bit in the war chest so rumour has it.
We have list spots still to use and cash to burn. I don't care if he gets 5 years as long as the emphasis financially is on years 1 & 2.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure after what we witnessed from Cam on Sunday how anyone could suggest we have to pay overs for him

As for him wanting some wins to stay, you know there is something you can try to help that Cam?

Zurhaar is one of the few players of recent times we've had that has quite literally won us games off his own boot, but he doesn't play in isolation. He's not playing particularly well but the whole team is way out of form and not working at the moment. He could kick 6 against Adelaide and we'd still probably go down by 10 goals.

The players needs to lift but it's also the responsibility of the coaching staff to make that happen.

OK - what's it say - anything important?
Player agent Tom McConville has said that in contract negotiations Cam Zurhaar won’t be making his decision about whether he stays at North Melbourne or not based purely on results but instead on where the Roos’ young group is headed

OK - what's it say - anything important?
"He's got a fair bit to weigh up, and it's unclear as to where he sits at the moment"
"The weekends performance wasn't ideal for north but he's not going to make his decision off one game."
"It's based more on the Monday to Friday in at the club, seeing the future that's ahead of the club that he's going to asses"
"He's not going to be purely results driven but more so the whole collective of the group and where it's all moving"

Zurhaar is one of the few players of recent times we've had that has quite literally won us games off his own boot, but he doesn't play in isolation. He's not playing particularly well but the whole team is way out of form and not working at the moment. He could kick 6 against Adelaide and we'd still probably go down by 10 goals.

The players needs to lift but it's also the responsibility of the coaching staff to make that happen.

The Richmond game after Noble was sacked.

When else?

Could kick 6? He has kicked 6 once and 5 twice.

"He's got a fair bit to weigh up, and it's unclear as to where he sits at the moment"
"The weekends performance wasn't ideal for north but he's not going to make his decision off one game."
"It's based more on the Monday to Friday in at the club, seeing the future that's ahead of the club that he's going to asses"
"He's not going to be purely results driven but more so the whole collective of the group and where it's all moving"
In other words Cam is looking for people who enjoy culinary arts with him?

We haven't been any good for a while but he's hardly doing porridge at Pentridge

Never kicked more than 34 goas in a season, I know he can only do so much but how about some ownership of our current situation? He has been dreadful this year and starts most seasons really poorly

Remove this Banner Ad

Back