AFL Player # 3: Darcy Parish

Remove this Banner Ad

Does he have OP? Or has he aged 9 years in the last off season? Because he's moving like a brontosaurus right now. The only conclusion I can deduce is he's carrying an injury.
He was a stand out in preseason until he got injured.

Think it's a combination of still not quite over his injury, out of form and playing a new role, wouldn't be surprised if he gets dropped for a week or two once Shiel is fit.

He’d want to improve quickly because Perkins is back in 2 weeks and at this rate they won’t be decreasing caldwells midfield minutes.

Depending on how this year turns out with our midfield depth, could we look to trade him in the next year or 2? Our midfield is definitely more balanced with Durham and Caldwell first choice alongside merrett, throw in Perkins, Hobbs.

He’d want to improve quickly because Perkins is back in 2 weeks and at this rate they won’t be decreasing caldwells midfield minutes.

Depending on how this year turns out with our midfield depth, could we look to trade him in the next year or 2? Our midfield is definitely more balanced with Durham and Caldwell first choice alongside merrett, throw in Perkins, Hobbs.
Setterfield also back in a couple of weeks.

Setterfield also back in a couple of weeks.
Yep but I’d say he’s more expendable than Durham and Caldwell with the way they’re playing and you can’t really play him anywhere else. I do love his size in the midfield though. A 5 man rotation of merrett, Durham, Caldwell, Perkins and setters is the type of mix we’ve been looking to have for 20 years.

Yep but I’d say he’s more expendable than Durham and Caldwell with the way they’re playing and you can’t really play him anywhere else. I do love his size in the midfield though. A 5 man rotation of merrett, Durham, Caldwell, Perkins and setters is the type of mix we’ve been looking to have for 20 years.
Oh he’s behind those two but Parish will have play a lot better than the last two weeks to keep him out.

You know when you have played flawed golf for ever and get by just fine doing it, then one day you decide I'm gunna go get lessons and your game suddenly turns to s**t?. It's hard to see at the time but you know it's probably for the best and it's 2 steps back , 3 steps forward for a better game, if you can stick it out and not dall back into easy habits

I feel like we are right there with Parish, he's got by just fine with his flawed non defensive accumulation - has now been challenged to change it up and he's stuck in the 2 steps back zone where he is making defensive efforts but not really accumulating or doing anything with polish when he does get it.

It one of two ways from here... It all clicks and he becomes a more rounded better player, or the coaches killed their golden goose trying to make him something he's not.

Tbc

You know when you have played flawed golf for ever and get by just fine doing it, then one day you decide I'm gunna go get lessons and your game suddenly turns to s**t?. It's hard to see at the time but you know it's probably for the best and it's 2 steps back , 3 steps forward for a better game, if you can stick it out and not dall back into easy habits

I feel like we are right there with Parish, he's got by just fine with his flawed non defensive accumulation - has now been challenged to change it up and he's stuck in the 2 steps back zone where he is making defensive efforts but not really accumulating or doing anything with polish when he does get it.

It one of two ways from here... It all clicks and he becomes a more rounded better player, or the coaches killed their golden goose trying to make him something he's not.

Tbc
Is he the golden goose. The way he plays footy is gone by the wayside. Accumulators that don’t really damage aren’t valued anymore in the current game. It’s all about impact per possession and being able to bring intensity in the contest. Running around and getting 40-45 touches doesn’t mean much any more

He was huge in the last quarter, one of the best on ground in that quarter. Poor before that but I give him a pass for his last quarter. Hopefully he can carry that form into next week

Does he have OP? Or has he aged 9 years in the last off season? Because he's moving like a brontosaurus right now. The only conclusion I can deduce is he's carrying an injury.
was wondering the same thing. Seems to have lost any pace he did have.

was wondering the same thing. Seems to have lost any pace he did have.

It's like he's running in quicksand. He's not getting from contest to contest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A whipping boy even when playing his best.. and predictable to see those calling for his head when he has a few poorer games. The calls for him to be replaced by Shiel and Setterfield are laughable.

Agree that Caldwell has been great and Duz a revelation but Parish didn't have the woeful game that many are describing. In fact, parish was in our top 10 in nearly every measurable statistic. To demonstrate hard running.. he was in the top 3 for intercept possessions (7) and top 3 for score involvements (6) and tied merrett with 3 'inside 50s'. Along with a 'mid team' tackle count and defensive pressure numbers.. this actually shows a player that is really focussing on two way running. He kicked 1.2 and picked up another 23 possessions (8 contested) from under 75% TOG.

The key measurable that he is really struggling is with clearance and that is because I think he is playing a different role AND I think carrying a niggle injury/not fully fit.

So was in top 3? No. Is he playing his best footy.. not remotely.. but he is not putting in stinkers. I think he is working hard up and back and trying to play the role assigned. I think very unlikely he gets dropped.

Something to consider... we're doing pretty well as a team and at the moment Parish isn't playing anywhere near as good as we know he can. Just wait till it all clicks and Parish starts playing well again. Imagine that alongside Durham, Caldwell, Perkins and Merrett.

If fit and firing, he’s a lock best 22. You don’t get AA rated for nothing.

Doesn't look great at the monument. Don’t disagree. But potting his value to the club seems a bit reactive.

The beauty of our deeper mid field should mean if he’s not right, we can cope with him not playing or playing VFL.

A whipping boy even when playing his best.. and predictable to see those calling for his head when he has a few poorer games. The calls for him to be replaced by Shiel and Setterfield are laughable.

Agree that Caldwell has been great and Duz a revelation but Parish didn't have the woeful game that many are describing. In fact, parish was in our top 10 in nearly every measurable statistic. To demonstrate hard running.. he was in the top 3 for intercept possessions (7) and top 3 for score involvements (6) and tied merrett with 3 'inside 50s'. Along with a 'mid team' tackle count and defensive pressure numbers.. this actually shows a player that is really focussing on two way running. He kicked 1.2 and picked up another 23 possessions (8 contested) from under 75% TOG.

The key measurable that he is really struggling is with clearance and that is because I think he is playing a different role AND I think carrying a niggle injury/not fully fit.

So was in top 3? No. Is he playing his best footy.. not remotely.. but he is not putting in stinkers. I think he is working hard up and back and trying to play the role assigned. I think very unlikely he gets dropped.
Thanks for the update Darce

Personally I did not think he was bad . He is just not at the level he can be at his best but with others playing the way they are he doesn’t have to be shooting the lights out .

As a side note with the cap increases coming and the fact there could be more than 60 players on a million dollars plus his $800-$850k will actually put him in the second tier bracket.

At times it looked like him and Durham were getting in each others way, lot of changes across the team and midfield. His role is probably changing and he's got a bit of healthy competition now because we are starting to get multiple options. I think Hobbs will make way before Parish though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back