AFL Player # 3: Darcy Parish

Remove this Banner Ad

You know when you have played flawed golf for ever and get by just fine doing it, then one day you decide I'm gunna go get lessons and your game suddenly turns to s**t?. It's hard to see at the time but you know it's probably for the best and it's 2 steps back , 3 steps forward for a better game, if you can stick it out and not dall back into easy habits

I feel like we are right there with Parish, he's got by just fine with his flawed non defensive accumulation - has now been challenged to change it up and he's stuck in the 2 steps back zone where he is making defensive efforts but not really accumulating or doing anything with polish when he does get it.

It one of two ways from here... It all clicks and he becomes a more rounded better player, or the coaches killed their golden goose trying to make him something he's not.

Tbc
You’re such a great poster. Always got an insight and the right metaphor to carry it.

Totally agree with this. Chuck an injury in on top of a role change.. it looks like this.

Noting that it’s actually the role change most of us wanted from him. I’m pretty sure there’s a fair bit of upside on what we are seeing at the moment

If he's carrying an injury why are we playing him? Didn't Scott say we won't play injured players anymore?

I think it's more role change and carrying a little extra size, he needs to get used to it.

Fwiw, I was a big trade/let him leave member last year and I don't think he's been hopeless this season, but he's not playing like a bloke you'd offer 6 years too.

23 disposals (11 kicks, 12 handballs) 4 marks, 3 tackles, 1 goal 2 behinds is hardly a putrid game IMO.

Also 394m gained (5th most for Essendon).

Doesn't look as clean as usual, looks like he's lost a step for some reason - weight or injury - and adjusting to a new role. He's not starring but he's not 'bad'.

Was his best metres gained performance for the season, most score involvements (6, equal with Merrett), most intercepts (7, behind only McKay and Laverde and by far the best midfielder) and his lowest TOG% for the season.

If this is the 'new' Parish then if he can clean up his disposal and get back to where he's usually been and sort out whatever's going on with his running then we'll get good value from his ~ 25 possessions.

23 disposals (11 kicks, 12 handballs) 4 marks, 3 tackles, 1 goal 2 behinds is hardly a putrid game IMO.

Stats are misleading at the best of times. His work around the contest is shocking. His opponents generally have a field day on him and he doesn’t hurt them anywhere near as much the other way. He’s a mediocre footballer trying to play a selfish match winning role and he’s not cut out for it.

Stats are misleading at the best of times. His work around the contest is shocking. His opponents generally have a field day on him and he doesn’t hurt them anywhere near as much the other way. He’s a mediocre footballer trying to play a selfish match winning role and he’s not cut out for it.
Did you actually watch the game? He is actually working harder and less selfish than he has ever been. Was super important in the last.

Geez you’d hope not. I’d love to see Hobbs given the licence Parish is given in the midfield. Would have a far greater impact on the game.
Yeah don't disagree, but with Parish's 5 year contract he aint going anywhere anytime soon a lot of competition in the engine room.

who was his opponent on the weekend?

As evidenced by what?
Yeah, all jokes aside, it is pretty clear he is battling a bit this year.

From my eyes he looks slow and reluctant to kick the football or really chase hard. I don't think anyone can deny that his performance is significantly down.

Interestingly, there were some stats presented this morning that suggest he is the fourth worst performed midfielder to have played three games this year. Not sure how they work this out, or who else qualifies, but it is not great.

I don't think he has been "putrid" but he is looking like he could be a liability when we get sides like Port or Sydney etc who could expose us on transition if he hasn't got the legs to match it with them. His poor kicking efficiency is a concern as well.

Zach had him down for the brownlow this year... I'm backing him in to turn it around but I have to admit we need him to lift.

Yeah, all jokes aside, it is pretty clear he is battling a bit this year.

From my eyes he looks slow and reluctant to kick the football or really chase hard. I don't think anyone can deny that his performance is significantly down.

Interestingly, there were some stats presented this morning that suggest he is the fourth worst performed midfielder to have played three games this year. Not sure how they work this out but it is not great.

I don't think he has been "putrid" but he is looking like he could be a liability when we get sides like Port or Sydney etc who could expose us on transition if he hasn't got the legs to match it with them. His poor kicking efficiency is a concern as well.

Zach had him down for the brownlow this year... I'm backing him in to turn it around but I have to admit we need him to lift.
Yep. We can debate his effectiveness with the ball all day but the issue right now is his movement. Never been quick but right now he’s glacier like and getting torched by opposition mids both around the footy and in transition.

It’s a problem.

As evidenced by what?
He didn't have the best game I agree but wasn't disgraced by any means.

I have watched the last quarter a couple of times and he had some super important touches.

Just because he got a good contract deal doesn't mean he has to be BOG every week. Seems he gets bashed just because he signed a long deal.

I don't mind people potting players but don't let bias cloud judgement.

I couldn't give a s**t about what money players are on and within the club environment the players probably don't either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He didn't have the best game I agree but wasn't disgraced by any means.

I have watched the last quarter a couple of times and he had some super important touches.

Just because he got a good contract deal doesn't mean he has to be BOG every week. Seems he gets bashed just because he signed a long deal.

I don't mind people potting players but don't let bias cloud judgement.

I couldn't give a s**t about what money players are on and within the club environment the players probably don't either.

I'd say hitting targets by foot, not missing handballs, engaging the contest physically and more than a few clean touches in the last quarter (during which I don't think he hit 1 target by foot) is a reasonable expectation from a senior midfielder which stops well short of expecting him to be BOG.

I've noticed a sentiment expressed here and in the post-game thread that this is all happening because of some increased defensive work ethic. That's hope based of reduced rate of possession and assumption that he must be improving his game. A reduced rate of possession is entirely consistent with the inclusion of Durham and Caldwell in the primary midfield mix which we've all seen. Hopefully this ends up including Perkins and Setterfield, too.

Just because Parish ends up in the defensive half of the ground does not mean he is working defensively. A player cannot get 40 possessions without regularly taking up position in the D50. Working defensively is things like not hanging around the contest like a bad smell, looking for a touch, and working back aggressively to be the outnumber for a secondary clearance. Around the ball it is putting on a black or screening without taking up a position to receive the ball.

He has generally looked like his is running in sand but then he seemed to me to hit full speed a few times in the last quarter. It could well be that he doesn't know where to be while playing off a wing / not being one of the 3 mids / inside.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back