Player Watch #26 Riley Collier-Dawkins

Remove this Banner Ad

Screen Shot 2022-09-26 at 10.24.36 pm.png

When looking at the picks after RCD, none of them really blow me away. Rowbottom,Berry & Sparrow are the only picks that have really kicked on in any meaningful way.

The players in that draft seem to be among the worst i think affected by the COVID years due to no VFL level etc

View attachment 1519120

When looking at the picks after RCD, none of them really blow me away. Rowbottom,Berry & Sparrow are the only picks that have really kicked on in any meaningful way.

The players in that draft seem to be among the worst i think affected by the COVID years due to no VFL level etc
Don't you know Covid didn't impact these guys, as they were still able to run laps at training and hit the gym to get fitter & stronger and develop their games even though they weren't able to play games for effectively 1.5 seasons.

View attachment 1519120

Add James Jordon

Add James Jordon

And subtract Tom Berry. He has only played 20 games, not many more than RCD. The other 3, Rowbottom, Sparrow and Jordon look like being decent players rather than marquee players. Right now, our second selection in that 2018 draft, Jack Ross, looks about as good as any of what was available to us at pick 20.

And subtract Tom Berry. He has only played 20 games, not many more than RCD. The other 3, Rowbottom, Sparrow and Jordon look like being decent players rather than marquee players. Right now, our second selection in that 2018 draft, Jack Ross, looks about as good as any of what was available to us at pick 20.

The funny thing is it happens most drafts (there are some great drafts with picks in the 20-30s but they’re the exception). So many guys don’t make it, but people forget that and only remember when Zach Merritt or Shai Bolton get taken in the 20s etc..

Another way of saying trade everything for Hopper and Taranto. ;)

But keep RCD… apparently he is a B grader ;)

The funny thing is it happens most drafts (there are some great drafts with picks in the 20-30s but they’re the exception). So many guys don’t make it, but people forget that and only remember when Zach Merritt or Shai Bolton get taken in the 20s etc..

Another way of saying trade everything for Hopper and Taranto. ;)

But keep RCD… apparently he is a B grader ;)

Equally lots of people like to remember when a trade works out well like Prestia, Toby - but fail to remember all the times they go south like Kane Johnson, Zac Williams, Justin Blumfield, Tom Rockcliff etc

There is just as much risk in both strategies, i like the draft version better as it quite literally gives you twice as many chances of getting it right - or at least twice as much luck

Equally lots of people like to remember when a trade works out well like Prestia, Toby - but fail to remember all the times they go south like Kane Johnson, Zac Williams, Justin Blumfield, Tom Rockcliff etc

There is just as much risk in both strategies, i like the draft version better as it quite literally gives you twice as many chances of getting it right - or at least twice as much luck
I wouldn’t have considered Kane Johnson a failure of a trade

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thing I find strange about this RCD thread is that he was smashing the VFL for about 6 weeks. Instead of going 'we might have a player here finally!'. Most people just want to execute him and p on his grave.

I don't see any real opening for him with the 2 giants coming in. But if he stays and continues getting 30 possies in the VFL then we'll be forced to play him.

if he goes and starts to rack them up, then ... good on him.

Thing I find strange about this RCD thread is that he was smashing the VFL for about 6 weeks. Instead of going 'we might have a player here finally!'. Most people just want to execute him and p on his grave.

I don't see any real opening for him with the 2 giants coming in. But if he stays and continues getting 30 possies in the VFL then we'll be forced to play him.

if he goes and starts to rack them up, then ... good on him.
There's no muscle on him mate.

If you're playing as an inside midfielder, you need to have strength and power. He's not an athlete, he's a footballer.

To be a professional footballer, who plays inside mid, you need muscle on you to compete an AFL level.

Think of players like Kennedy, Cripps, Neale, Coniglio, Selwood... these guys are professional athletes.

Have a look at Patrick Dangerfield when he was drafted. He was a flabby kid, he has built his strength and become a professional footballer.

For someone whose been in the system for years now, Dawkins hasn't been enough muscle to play inside midfield at AFL level. It's not just form, it's genuine fitness and strength.

Look, if he was a crumbing forward, no need for the strength, for the position he wants to play, he needs to be stronger

Playing Parker and Aarts in front of RCD or any of the other kids is the one error our Match committee has made over the last couple of years.

And I understand the mentality around why, but in early hindsight it was an error.

Only look back to 2017 when we gave kids like Butler, George, Jack Graham etc a chance and some responsibility rather than older recycled players that we had used in previous years.

After a few games, the ceiling for Aarts and Parker was clearly visible, and while they may have been contributing on field in the ones, the reality was, it wasn't going to improve enough to make us a better team.

Taking them out and replacing them kids to give them the opportunity at the top level wouldn't have had a major impact (negatively) on our on field performance, on the flip side, the output either immediate or long term could be massive by these kids playing. And if it isn't, we haven't lost anything compared to playing Aarts and Parker.

If jack graham. SStack. And friends are gone.

Perhaps rcd is required ?

I thought Kane Johnson won a Jack Dyer medal...

Sad to see him go. Understand why but also thought he probably deserved a few more games than he got over the journey.
I hope he gets a crack at another club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back