Player Watch #26 Riley Collier-Dawkins

Remove this Banner Ad

It is not like RCD hasn't been played in the Seniors, it's just that he has been underwhelming when he gets a chance.
I think he has gone quite well at senior level offensively, his two way running was poor hence he was dropped. But that was a season ago and his fitness was much improved this year.

Food for thought .
One of tonight’s Brownlow favourites , Clayton Oliver , bigger ball winning mid had plenty of knocks on him during his junior footy . Was far from a lock mid way through his final year of TAC Cup footy as there was a wish to make his game more rounded . So much so that he missed the nationals squad . Fast forward 2 months and he was a top 5 pick and being lauded for his ball winning ability .
IMO RCD , although not at the same level , is a similar player just let him hunt the footy .
RCD is nothing like Oliver. Oliver is an in an under , running machine who never stops. Only thing they have in common is their hair colour.
He’s had his chance. Time to move him on. Time to put games into Brown, Banks, Taylor, HRS and even possibly Dow.

RCD is nothing like Oliver. Oliver is an in an under , running machine who never stops. Only thing they have in common is their hair colour.
He’s had his chance. Time to move him on. Time to put games into Brown, Banks, Taylor, HRS and even possibly Dow.
😂 you do realise Oliver is naturally a blonde ranga . RCD’s natural game is not overly different to Oliver’s in style , level most definately . Unfortunately since 2019 the club has been determined to change RCD into a more outside which hasn’t suited him .

Glad some people on here aren't our list managers.
We'd have Corey Ellis lining up for his ninth season and Ben Lennon for his 10th saying, of, just one more year - they were hard done by over COVID.
They remind me of Player X and Y as TAC Cuppers, they'll come good.
Comparisons to the likes of Oliver - any type of comparison - with RCD only make him look poorer.

And none of those are inside mids. If Cotchin gets injured and let's say we only get Tarranto, then we have just Prestia, who is pretty injury prone. RCD can do the hard nose stuff when given that role because he is big enough to do it. We need some backup in that area, granted not so much if we get both Tarranto and Hopper.

We have the room on the list, he costs nothing and the VFL need an inside mid at the very least so that we don't get beat up on.

Much more likely anyway that he leaves because he gets an offer from another club. A club will surely rookie him even for backup.

View attachment 1511753
View attachment 1511781

View attachment 1511768
View attachment 1511774

Rowbottom was taken in the same draft, both had COVID affected seasons.
Did Rowbottom have Cotchin, Martin, Prestia, Edwards, Lambert, Bolton, Short, and a few others to try and squeeze games in front of. Even Ross who started off like veteran in the midfield couldn't get games in there. Not easy breaking into a 3 x Premiership side especially when you don't have natural endurance as an advantage.

He’s a classic example of players who spend too long at VFL just end up good VFL players.
He looks great on paper, 6”3, fast, inside mid but whether the timing was wrong and he couldn’t break into the team or if he’s just not assertive enough it doesn’t really matter.
No major injuries and only 11 games in four years that’s alotve time to improve.
He’ll be 23 before Rnd 1 next year, unfortunately I think it’s time to give the opportunity to the next kid.
Funnily enough I think the ball is really in his court. He has put it all together in the back half of this year and addressed the areas of his game that were a concern when he was drafted. He is playing with endurance, getting from contest to contest, both inside and outside and is getting his hands on the ball a lot. What stood out for me the most watching him live lately was his vision, smart decision making and precision kicking in the forward half of the ground.

He is very much ready to play AFL football and I expect him to be next year The question will be whether he backs himself in to break into our side, or whether he takes more money and a guarantee to play elsewhere.

And none of those are inside mids. If Cotchin gets injured and let's say we only get Tarranto, then we have just Prestia, who is pretty injury prone. RCD can do the hard nose stuff when given that role because he is big enough to do it. We need some backup in that area, granted not so much if we get both Tarranto and Hopper.

We have the room on the list, he costs nothing and the VFL need an inside mid at the very least so that we don't get beat up on.

Much more likely anyway that he leaves because he gets an offer from another club. A club will surely rookie him even for backup.
I find it hard to believe you and others think we should persist with RCD. We’ve heard every excuse as to why he hasn’t developed as we hoped For.
Covid. A tall who needs extra time. Needs to build an engine. Played out of position and many others. Just admit he’s not good enough. You backed a loser,so find another young player to put your faith in. He’s had his chances.

Funnily enough I think the ball is really in his court. He has put it all together in the back half of this year and addressed the areas of his game that were a concern when he was drafted. He is playing with endurance, getting from contest to contest, both inside and outside and is getting his hands on the ball a lot. What stood out for me the most watching him live lately was his vision, smart decision making and precision kicking in the forward half of the ground.

He is very much ready to play AFL football and I expect him to be next year The question will be whether he backs himself in to break into our side, or whether he takes more money and a guarantee to play elsewhere.
More money. Are you joking? If he’s on any list it will be minimum wages for him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think people still value him because of his highly touted junior career. Sometimes the scouts get it wrong, look at Josh Schache, Jonathon O’Rourke, Trengrove and even potentially Lukosius who were all much higher. He didn’t live up to his hype, so let’s treat him like any other player irrespective of his draft pick number. If we did that, he would be out the doors.

I think people still value him because of his highly touted junior career. Sometimes the scouts get it wrong, look at Josh Schache, Jonathon O’Rourke, Trengrove and even potentially Lukosius who were all much higher. He didn’t live up to his hype, so let’s treat him like any other player irrespective of his draft pick number. If we did that, he would be out the doors.
Yep, if he had been drafted at pick 60 I doubt many would still be holding onto the hope that “one more pre-season” will be what it takes.

Yep, if he had been drafted at pick 60 I doubt many would still be holding onto the hope that “one more pre-season” will be what it takes.
RCD has the physical attributes of a young KPP. So, he has needed time to develop. RCD was a speculative pick that didn't work. I'd offer him one more year. Preferably on the rookie list. WIN/WIN. It costs nothing and if he comes good, he can play.

I find it hard to believe you and others think we should persist with RCD. We’ve heard every excuse as to why he hasn’t developed as we hoped For.
Covid. A tall who needs extra time. Needs to build an engine. Played out of position and many others. Just admit he’s not good enough. You backed a loser,so find another young player to put your faith in. He’s had his chances.
But he is good enough as his form showed in the back half of the season, well good enough to dominate games in the VFL, we didn't see him at AFL so it is impossible to say.

All players need development in one form or another, and the points you made, engine, extra time, tall skinny mids take longer (don't know where you came up with played out of position other than one or two posters), are all relevant and were stated so at draft time, hence he was always going to take time. These are facts not excuses.

How long did it take Edwards to develop into the player he became, many on here wanted him gone. MacIntosh was dropped multiple times and has only become a really good player in the last 2 or 3 season. Rioli was on his last legs before the switch. Ross was absolutely gone by most on here 6 weeks ago, and Cumberland not far behind. Miller another.

Will he make it, maybe, but he is a better player now than a year ago, so what harm is it to keep him in the system and see if he can take the next step.

RCD has the physical attributes of a young KPP. So, he has needed time to develop. RCD was a speculative pick that didn't work. I'd offer him one more year. Preferably on the rookie list. WIN/WIN. It costs nothing and if he comes good, he can play.

If there is interest - supposed interest - from other clubs, he won't be taking a rookie deal.
He'll be taking the dollars and the better opportunity as well all would.

If there is interest - supposed interest - from other clubs, he won't be taking a rookie deal.
He'll be taking the dollars and the better opportunity as well all would.
Agree with that one, especially if we are reinforcing our midfield over the off season with proven B+ / A graders (depending on who you ask)

Unless he genuinely thinks he can break in or has had discussions in his exit interviews that he would be a chance to play along side these guys and not just be continued to be relegated to be a depth player

Lukosius is quality.

Rcd was pick 20. There wasn't much hype

MacIntosh was dropped multiple times and has only become a really good player in the last 2 or 3 season.
Drafted 2013 played two seasons in the vfl
Since that was dropped for one game and another time for three games other than that it’s only injuries
Played 146 games

Remove this Banner Ad

Back