Player Watch #26 Riley Collier-Dawkins

Remove this Banner Ad

Congrats RCD on quickly finding his feet. Just announced he will be joining Connor Menadue and Jayden Post at Altona in 2023. His contract was a tough negotiation but ended up costing free registration, a new pair of asics boots, his own personal dressing gown and a snazzy new mouthguard. Look forward to seeing him warming the pine in the reserves.

Thank goodness the RFC don't listen to the rose coloured glasses brigade on BF. A tough but fair call. All the best RCD.

Plenty on BF wanted him out, not sure what you are on about.

I think he should have been allowed to have another year at least to have a proper bust.

He could easily make it at another club with someone with vision. He may not, but I have not written him off

Congrats RCD on quickly finding his feet. Just announced he will be joining Connor Menadue and Jayden Post at Altona in 2023. His contract was a tough negotiation but ended up costing free registration, a new pair of asics boots, his own personal dressing gown and a snazzy new mouthguard. Look forward to seeing him warming the pine in the reserves.
You'd be pretty pleased with yourself this morning.

Delisted

I wonder if we will offer a rookie spot to him... the article didn't mention it

Reckon he can be a good player. But don't really see where he plays with TT and Hops coming in.

Hope he does really well and becomes a solid AFL player. But doesn't play well against us.

When Ross and him were drafted, I went to a small Tigers Supporters function where Balmie and the two boys spoke. Balme suggested matter-a-factly (as he tends to do) that the club was after strong inside midfielders to improve the contested ball. They hoped Ross and RCD could be developed in the mold of Cripps and Bont.

When the boys spoke, I was particularly impressed by Ross and his attitude. The Flea joked about his dad's playing career and influence on Ross plus his determination to train the house down. With RCD, he seemed very mindful/uncertain of how everyone saw his mum's. I would expect that was always a concern for him given some peoples bias. I wonder if this also played a part in his confidence levels plus ability to be challenged by the coaches and his team mates?

Regardless, it wasn't his determination or attitude that held him back. It was his ability to read the play and get to the right places. In the center square, he was AFL quality with his ball winning and break away capability. Its after that where he became lost and couldn't get the ball enough in his hands to impact the play.

I wish him all the best but with our two new ball winners, he would never have got a game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Five list spots with essentially no draft picks seems a bit weird no?
Especially when you consider that none of last years crop are inside mids. Our VFL will surely struggle in the middle of the ground. Must have been some $$ issues because as you say no draft picks and plenty of space what harm to keep RCD. At least he offers a bit of strength in the pack in the VFL.

Will go down as another Richmond great hope. We all desperately wanted him to succeed but unfortunately wasnt to be. Didnt improve enough over his 4 years to be given another go.

I reckon it is more that he now doesn't have a spot to make his own. TT and Hopper fill that spot, so he is no longer needed. His ceiling is below what they now produce, so we'd only keep him as VFL depth. Even if he is a B grade AFL player next year - his spot is gone.

When a club trades in 2 stars to fill the role/s you are aiming for you're in trouble. He would only make the 22 if there were lots of injuries. And that's probably for the next few years. Better to reload with kids now I guess.

Another reason why picks are overrated.

Just a colossal disappointment because of his very expensive draft selection.

Never showed enough, had his chance the past two seasons. Never gave us a AFL highlight.

What a load of bollocks.

.... Take Dusty, Cotchin, Edwards, Rance, Grimes, Bolton, Cumberland... literally 80% of our starting 18 we took from the draft

When the boys spoke, I was particularly impressed by Ross and his attitude. The Flea joked about his dad's playing career and influence on Ross plus his determination to train the house down. With RCD, he seemed very mindful/uncertain of how everyone saw his mum's. I would expect that was always a concern for him given some peoples bias. I wonder if this also played a part in his confidence levels plus ability to be challenged by the coaches and his team mates?

Christ, don't go here again. Last time anyone suggested this ....

Angry Jim Henson GIF by Muppet Wiki

I thought Kane Johnson won a Jack Dyer medal...

Yes he did, but our 2006 team was pretty ordinary. He had a few decent years, but ultimately he was not the player we throught we were trading a top 2 pick for. Could argue Jason Torney's career was more impressive post that trade. Kane was a pretty poor skilled, average decision making inside mid for most of his time at Richmond. Was a serviceable Captain, but his era was one mostly of disappointment

Anyone who thinks that trade was a good one for the club clearly didn't live through it. We could have had Goddard & Torney, but instead ended up with a fairly average midfielder.

Last edited:
Yes he did, but our 2006 team was pretty ordinary. He had a few decent years, but ultimately he was not the player we throught we were trading a top 2 pick for. Could argue Jason Torney's career was more impressive post that trade. Kane was a pretty poor skilled, average decision making inside mid for most of his time at Richmond. Was a serviceable Captain, but his era was one mostly of disappointment

Anyone who thinks that trade was a good one for the club clearly didn't live through it. We could have had Goddard & Torney, but instead ended up with a fairly average midfielder.
It wasn’t a straight swap of pick 2 for Johnson though

He played a bunch of games and was made captain. It wasn’t really a failed trade

Disappointing to be honest. 4 picks after RCD was Rowbottom who was a fellow Oakleigh charger.

More disappointing is how we picked on potential hoping we had a gem rather than nailing a solid player.
RCD reactions and reading of play was non existent from the start. Always chasing the ball and getting caught out of position. Massive error with Clarke here.

He played a bunch of games and was made captain. It wasn’t really a failed trade
But when we traded Pick 2 we thought it was Pick 4. It was only AFTER we'd done the trade that the AFL finally decided upon Carlton's salary cap rorting punishment.

If we hadn't got Kane Johnson, I'm pretty sure at the time we'd have taken Daniel Wells at Pick 2, and he would've got slaughtered by the Richmond faithful back then. Wells would've been Tambling before Tambling was Tambling.

I'm not sure what you want me to say, but Kane was a pretty disappointing player/Captain. He was slow, poor disposal & struggled with the burden of being Captain - strong leadership over this era was one of our biggest flaws.

He always tried his best, but i sure as heck would not re-do that trade again - the era he was traded in and made captain was one of the worst for the club in my lifetime.

But when we traded Pick 2 we thought it was Pick 4. It was only AFTER we'd done the trade that the AFL finally decided upon Carlton's salary cap rorting punishment.

If we hadn't got Kane Johnson, I'm pretty sure at the time we'd have taken Daniel Wells at Pick 2, and he would've got slaughtered by the Richmond faithful back then. Wells would've been Tambling before Tambling was Tambling.

That is not true at all dude. Wells was a ******* jet and was celebrated as much. Only injuries ruined him. Even Brennan at 3 had a better career than Kane - add to that Mackie & McVeigh who were taken soon after.

Comparing a young, fit Wells to Kane Johnson was like seeing a new model porsche next to a ute. The move to get Kane was damaging AF as it kept us in that stupid middling position for another decade. 2002 - 2012 was one of the worst decades for us, totally wasted Prime Richo

13th, 16th, 12th, 9th, 16th, 9th, 15th, 15th, 12th, 12th.

That is a decade of Richmond after we traded for Kane Johnson & made him captain. It was awful - it was a "win quick" move that failed miserably. 2 years previous we were top 4 - Kane was meant to be the midfielder that got us back up - clearly he wasn't.

We could have traded for Kane Johnson for Ben Holland just 12 months earlier from memory too. Instead we overpaid Ben Holland & traded a #2 pick for him + Jason Torney who, i would argue, was much better in his position than Kane was in his own position

To judge that trade, you need to take into the "why". We made that move thinking it would get us back up the ladder, instead it lead to us just middling poorly & yo-yoing for a decade.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back