Player Watch #26 Riley Collier-Dawkins

Remove this Banner Ad

More disappointing is how we picked on potential hoping we had a gem rather than nailing a solid player.
RCD reactions and reading of play was non existent from the start. Always chasing the ball and getting caught out of position. Massive error with Clarke here.
Yes and this is hardly wisdom in hindsight. The massive knock even before he was drafted was he kept getting where the ball aint. From memory we made the same mistake with Corey Ellis. Also from memory it might have had something to do with the league wide hysteria in trying to find the next Bontempelli. Anyhow the next time that we have a pick as valuable as pick 20 (which unfortunately might not be until 2024) hopefully we won't use it on a midfielder whose greatest weakness is actually finding the ball. That's always a dubious proposition.

Yes and this is hardly wisdom in hindsight. The massive knock even before he was drafted was he kept getting where the ball aint. From memory we made the same mistake with Corey Ellis. Also from memory it might have had something to do with the league wide hysteria in trying to find the next Bontempelli. Anyhow the next time that we have a pick as valuable as pick 20 (which unfortunately might not be until 2024) hopefully we won't use it on a midfielder whose greatest weakness is actually finding the ball. That's always a dubious proposition.

At one point in a pre-season, Dimma referred to RCD as "Dangerfield-esque"

He is a little bit like Stack for me - had plenty of skill and talent in specific areas but deficient in others. Without the whole package, you're just not going to make it in our side any longer
He’s nothing like Stack. Stack unfortunately appears to be a wasted talent. RCD a waste of a good draft pick, resources and time.

Five list spots with essentially no draft picks seems a bit weird no?
I think it helps manage our cap by not filling every space on the list and either front loading contracts of banking salary cap space for next year (which I think we can do)

Last edited:
That is not true at all dude. Wells was a ******* jet and was celebrated as much. Only injuries ruined him. Even Brennan at 3 had a better career than Kane - add to that Mackie & McVeigh who were taken soon after.

Comparing a young, fit Wells to Kane Johnson was like seeing a new model porsche next to a ute. The move to get Kane was damaging AF as it kept us in that stupid middling position for another decade. 2002 - 2012 was one of the worst decades for us, totally wasted Prime Richo

13th, 16th, 12th, 9th, 16th, 9th, 15th, 15th, 12th, 12th.

That is a decade of Richmond after we traded for Kane Johnson & made him captain. It was awful - it was a "win quick" move that failed miserably. 2 years previous we were top 4 - Kane was meant to be the midfielder that got us back up - clearly he wasn't.

We could have traded for Kane Johnson for Ben Holland just 12 months earlier from memory too. Instead we overpaid Ben Holland & traded a #2 pick for him + Jason Torney who, i would argue, was much better in his position than Kane was in his own position

To judge that trade, you need to take into the "why". We made that move thinking it would get us back up the ladder, instead it lead to us just middling poorly & yo-yoing for a decade.
Haha, you reckon the Tiger faithful are tough on the likes of George, RCD and Aarts etc, you have no idea how brutal they were back in the 00’s.

I was here on this site through all of it. Nobody was spared back then, even those who you would think nowadays were universally admired - Richo, Cogs, Newman, Lids etc probably got the least but still copped it really badly at times.

Yes Wells was a jet, and probably had the potential to be a top 10 AFL player. But I’ll say it again - he’d have been completely slaughtered by the Richmond faithful on this board back then, whether it was due to his injuries, or his erraticness, or simply for not becoming a top 10 AFL player and costing us pick 2.

I didn’t mean he’d be Tambling in a playing sense. I meant it in a victimised sense. Wells had all the hallmarks of being the perfect scapegoat for our club’s overall ineptitude had we used a pick 2 to get him, yet still be as shyte as we were back then.

That is not true at all dude. Wells was a ******* jet and was celebrated as much. Only injuries ruined him. Even Brennan at 3 had a better career than Kane - add to that Mackie & McVeigh who were taken soon after.

Comparing a young, fit Wells to Kane Johnson was like seeing a new model porsche next to a ute. The move to get Kane was damaging AF as it kept us in that stupid middling position for another decade. 2002 - 2012 was one of the worst decades for us, totally wasted Prime Richo

13th, 16th, 12th, 9th, 16th, 9th, 15th, 15th, 12th, 12th.

That is a decade of Richmond after we traded for Kane Johnson & made him captain. It was awful - it was a "win quick" move that failed miserably. 2 years previous we were top 4 - Kane was meant to be the midfielder that got us back up - clearly he wasn't.

We could have traded for Kane Johnson for Ben Holland just 12 months earlier from memory too. Instead we overpaid Ben Holland & traded a #2 pick for him + Jason Torney who, i would argue, was much better in his position than Kane was in his own position

To judge that trade, you need to take into the "why". We made that move thinking it would get us back up the ladder, instead it lead to us just middling poorly & yo-yoing for a decade.
👏👏👏 just didn't see the love for Kane.

Amazing I said Martyn RCD Stack and Parker would all go. I’m loving how the club is operating as it spares no one anymore. List cloggers are no longer spared at the RFC. Hopper and Taranto didn’t end his career as he did as he was never committed or good enough at the level. Couldn’t get a game in the end with all our injuries and then Ross stepped up and went past him.
Please close thread mods. 😂

Haha, you reckon the Tiger faithful are tough on the likes of George, RCD and Aarts etc, you have no idea how brutal they were back in the 00’s.

I was here on this site through all of it. Nobody was spared back then, even those who you would think nowadays were universally admired - Richo, Cogs, Newman, Lids etc probably got the least but still copped it really badly at times.

Yes Wells was a jet, and probably had the potential to be a top 10 AFL player. But I’ll say it again - he’d have been completely slaughtered by the Richmond faithful on this board back then, whether it was due to his injuries, or his erraticness, or simply for not becoming a top 10 AFL player and costing us pick 2.

I didn’t mean he’d be Tambling in a playing sense. I meant it in a victimised sense. Wells had all the hallmarks of being the perfect scapegoat for our club’s overall ineptitude had we used a pick 2 to get him, yet still be as shyte as we were back then.

I was a member that whole decade & sat in the left pocket at the Punt Road End alongside the other members. I know exactly what it was like. I remember them turning on Kane relatively quick when it became apparent he was not the young bull/leader we were thinking he was. His disposal was really poor & he was just slow - that compared to watching a young Wells burned. As he was so silky smooth with his skills, but as fast as they came. He looked like a Michael Mitchell MKII & a rading that pick only a couple of years after we totally botched the Fiora over Pavlich pick, he burned even more - as it was clear our lack of respect for top 4 picks was crippling the clubs progress.

When you consider that 4 of the 6 players taken between 2-7 were clearly a better player than Kane - 3 of which who all played key, leadership roles in Premiership teams - while Kane failed to make the finals once - its really hard to say with a straight face the Kane Johnson was a success. It wasn't - it couldn't have failed more tbh. The results cant be more damning.

I was a member that whole decade & sat in the left pocket at the Punt Road End alongside the other members. I know exactly what it was like. I remember them turning on Kane relatively quick when it became apparent he was not the young bull/leader we were thinking he was. His disposal was really poor & he was just slow - that compared to watching a young Wells burned. As he was so silky smooth with his skills, but as fast as they came. He looked like a Michael Mitchell MKII & a rading that pick only a couple of years after we totally botched the Fiora over Pavlich pick, he burned even more - as it was clear our lack of respect for top 4 picks was crippling the clubs progress.

When you consider that 4 of the 6 players taken between 2-7 were clearly a better player than Kane - 3 of which who all played key, leadership roles in Premiership teams - while Kane failed to make the finals once - its really hard to say with a straight face the Kane Johnson was a success. It wasn't - it couldn't have failed more tbh. The results cant be more damning.

Given our recruiting at the time, we would have bypassed Daniel Wells and taken Tim Walsh, who the Bulldogs picked at No. 4 and played the grand sum of one game ;)

The trade was bullshit, we got ****ed by the AFL and there is zero chance it wouldn’t end up in court today.

3 players were better then Kane, Brennan was just a tease, and only 2 players played in premierships.

The entire era was a mess but I would still do the Kane trade today. Cotchin and Shedda both talk about the huge impact he had on their careers, the entire team was devoid of leaders at the time. McVeigh is probably the only player in the top 7 who had that type of leadership but he also learnt from Kirk, O’Keefe, Bolton, Barry, Goodes etc.

The stability and changing of the culture at the club started in Kane’s time, it continued through with Newman and eventually Cotchin. Where we are today is because of what began in those mid to late 2000s and the personnel stability, direction and investment in the club that occurred.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If there was a competition for the best piss taken ever in the history of Aussie Rules, Kane Johnson would podium.

At one point in a pre-season, Dimma referred to RCD as "Dangerfield-esque"
Weed Smoking GIF

There's a sh1t tonne of creative/ delusional rewriting of history in here. When we traded for Kane Johnson Carlton had pick 1&2 which was unanimously going to be used on Goddard and Wells, who were considered the only quality players in what was labelled worst draft ever. How the f@ck could the club foresee they would be stripped of those picks as it happened weeks/ months after the Johnson trade was done. Besides Sugar Kane was a bloody good player who came from a dominant club who actually wanted to come to us when we were still a laughing stock nothing like destination club nowadays.

When Ross and him were drafted, I went to a small Tigers Supporters function where Balmie and the two boys spoke. Balme suggested matter-a-factly (as he tends to do) that the club was after strong inside midfielders to improve the contested ball. They hoped Ross and RCD could be developed in the mold of Cripps and Bont.

When the boys spoke, I was particularly impressed by Ross and his attitude. The Flea joked about his dad's playing career and influence on Ross plus his determination to train the house down. With RCD, he seemed very mindful/uncertain of how everyone saw his mum's. I would expect that was always a concern for him given some peoples bias. I wonder if this also played a part in his confidence levels plus ability to be challenged by the coaches and his team mates?

Regardless, it wasn't his determination or attitude that held him back. It was his ability to read the play and get to the right places. In the center square, he was AFL quality with his ball winning and break away capability. Its after that where he became lost and couldn't get the ball enough in his hands to impact the play.

I wish him all the best but with our two new ball winners, he would never have got a game.
I like your assessment. Maybe my memory if fading but RCD reminds me of a young Nick Vlastuin when Richmond tried to play him in the centre, either couldn't get the ball or when he got it, he couldn't break away. It's a pity we haven't got space in the defence at the moment because we have a lot of tall talent to replace in the next few years

There's a sh1t tonne of creative/ delusional rewriting of history in here. When we traded for Kane Johnson Carlton had pick 1&2 which was unanimously going to be used on Goddard and Wells, who were considered the only quality players in what was labelled worst draft ever. How the f@ck could the club foresee they would be stripped of those picks as it happened weeks/ months after the Johnson trade was done. Besides Sugar Kane was a bloody good player who came from a dominant club who actually wanted to come to us when we were still a laughing stock nothing like destination club nowadays.

I agree with your first few points. It is just another example of our club being shafted by a competition that have NFI and they just make decisions on the run. If we had any heads up, there was no way in the world we would have traded for Johnson no matter how good we thought he might be. We gave up our 1st round pick for Johnson (pick 4) and that picked ended up being pick 2 after the trade was done. It wasn't the club's fault, it was the AFL's.

All it says is ...

RILEY COLLIER-DAWKINS

Games: 11

A former first-round draft pick, Collier-Dawkins managed only 11 senior games in his four seasons at Punt Rd. After being taken at pick No. 20 in the 2018 national draft, the young midfielder played nine games in 2021 after making his debut in round 7. But he appeared in just two senior games this year.

Yeah but could they piss on the wall of the St Kilda road police headquarters?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back