VFL 2024 VFL Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Good contested mark and goal from Croft. Would have liked to see him in defence but you can never have enough KPFs I suppose.

Gardner, Keath, and Buss are all down back, someone had to go forward and should probably be the one who's played there recently.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gardner, Keath, and Buss are all down back, someone had to go forward and should probably be the one who's played there recently.
IF you're playing for the four points yes. But this is an opportunity to try things like playing Croift in defence. In 3-5 years Keath won't be on our list, maybe not Buss either.

Spicer is frustrating. Does some smart things and then some dumb things. He just kicked straight into the man on the mark going inside 50. I like that he is looking to be creative and pass to a forward but it was very poor execution and resulted in a quick chain of handballs and an easy mark and goal at the other end.

However he's also had a couple of great intercepts inside 50, one of which he kicked a goal from.

Keath streaming through the middle off an intercept like Bont, the piercing kick to Gardner who snaps the set shot and goals, is not the kind of play we see too often. To say the least.

Spicer is frustrating. Does some smart things and then some dumb things. He just kicked straight into the man on the mark going inside 50. I like that he is looking to be creative and pass to a forward but it was very poor execution and resulted in a quick chain of handballs and an easy mark and goal at the other end.

However he's also had a couple of great intercepts inside 50, one of which he kicked a goal from.

Dropped a sitter which ended in a score the 1st QTR also. Some of his kicking has been awful, but he did pull off a great pass inside 50 as well. Has his moments, just too many spud moments though.

IF you're playing for the four points yes. But this is an opportunity to try things like playing Croift in defence. In 3-5 years Keath won't be on our list, maybe not Buss either.
There is principally no difference to this game and a game for premiership points on the VFL ladder or whatever. Both times it is games that exist to service the AFL team as a reserves squad.

There is principally no difference to this game and a game for premiership points on the VFL ladder or whatever. Both times it is games that exist to service the AFL team as a reserves squad.
Largely true. We could argue the toss on that, but there's no point. It just reinforces my suggestion. If we are there to service the seniors then we should be giving Croft a chance to develop in defence.

The fact that we aren't suggests that it's not in the long term plans of the club. They may see him as a genuine forward. It's a head scratcher either way.

EDIT: Haven't been watching much of the second half but it appears Croft has been swung back!

Last edited:
Pains me to say it but I don’t think Arty makes it. Doesn’t impact games.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
TBH Spicer has had more impact than Arty this game. They play similar roles and Spicer looks to have more to work with.

Clarke is a bit different type of forward but he's been impressive. I hope we see him in the seniors soon.

EDIT: 1 minute later Spicer delivers a clever little kick for Clarke to mark close in and ... miss.

TBH Spicer has had more impact than Arty this game. They play similar roles and Spicer looks to have more to work with.

Clarke is a bit different type of forward but he's been impressive. I hope we see him in the seniors soon.

Clarke moves like a pure footballer. Has some swagger and think he’d benefit from the step up in standard.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Back