VFL 2024 VFL Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I do find it funny whenever recruiters say "we rated him higher". By definition that's basically true for every player! Say Joe Bloggs is a surprise pick 1. Literally every other pick thereafter will be higher on their club's draft board, ie, pick 2 will be that team's pick 1 on their draft board, etc.

Vic Country had a strong U18 team last year led by Harley Reid so it's interesting that Freijah may have slipped under the radar a bit, and maybe the wrong players were recruited.

Freijah had a pretty poor carnival for Vic Country and I think it was the reason why he slipped. My biggest issue with him was instead of picking up the ball he would often tap the ball on to a player or on to himself to run on to and it didn't really work. It came across as a bit soft (which he's not) as he had time to pick up the ball and handball it to make a certainty of it. It looks like this has mostly been coached out of his game. I saw him half do it a couple times yesterday still, but in one of those plays he half tapped it then realised he could pick it up and handball to Daniel which was good to see.

Freijah had a pretty poor carnival for Vic Country and I think it was the reason why he slipped. My biggest issue with him was instead of picking up the ball he would often tap the ball on to a player or on to himself to run on to and it didn't really work. It came across as a bit soft (which he's not) as he had time to pick up the ball and handball it to make a certainty of it. It looks like this has mostly been coached out of his game. I saw him half do it a couple times yesterday still, but in one of those plays he half tapped it then realised he could pick it up and handball to Daniel which was good to see.
With his big frame Bont often does that coming out of a pack. Can do worse than emulate him!

I do find it funny whenever recruiters say "we rated him higher". By definition that's basically true for every player! Say Joe Bloggs is a surprise pick 1. Literally every other pick thereafter will be higher on their club's draft board, ie, pick 2 will be that team's pick 1 on their draft board, etc.
Not really. Even a surprise Pick 1 would be everybody else’s Pick 3-4 so it would only skew picks that far.

"We didn't really rate him, but he was all that was left on the board. He was the least worst of the options."

With his big frame Bont often does that coming out of a pack. Can do worse than emulate him!

Sure, I've got no issue with that! The issue is Freijah was doing it on the outside with space and time to pick up the ball and handball or kick it though. The taps were actually costing his team going behind his teammates when he just needed to pick it up and handball and even take some body contact. It kinda looked like he was scared of body contact and it reminded me of Jared Polec. I think recruiters would be put off by that.

Yeah. And doesn't have the high end endurance Caleb has as well.
There were a few standouts in the young guns game yesterday that I feel suit the style of game that we play.

Uerata does some nice things that you can develop from, Payne is the sort that has multiple paths to goal, very versatile and is really strong in the contest, McArthur is interesting because he could easily develop into a wingman given time and be a horror of a matchup when drifting forward given his aerial ability and athleticism (love the white headband too)

Last edited:
The gap between his best and worst was probably bigger than any other player I watched last year. That game where he racked up 26 touches and kicked 6 goals off the wing was probably the best individual game from any player in last years draft pool, but he also put up some stinkers late in the year which I’m sure tanked his ratings with many clubs. Playing an easier position in defence probably helps him find the consistency he needs, and I’m sure he eventually finds his way to the wing spot in a few years time

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I got to the Williamstown game on Saturday to watch 3.5 quarters.
The entire senior squad was there supporting the boys, including Bev, Lade and the other coaches.
I saw Rohan Smith stood next to Bev for at least a quarter or two.

My uninformed observations:

CALEB DANIEL
He was played on the outside for all but the last quarter with little impact. By 3rd QT, Willi had cut our lead to under 4 goals. We moved Daniel into the guts from the start of the 4th Q and he went to town - cut above the standard. He won ground ball after ground ball, created chains of goals, hit targets and killed Willis hopes. Impressive. He got a goal too.

Were the AFL to further reduce bench rotations, increasing the fatigue of players, Caleb would be a top ten mid-fielder at AFL level Unfortunately, the big, strong, quick, fresh bodies - at AFL level - reduce his effectiveness and make it much harder for him to win his own ball.

Still, I believe there is a place for him in the senior side, but with less opportunities his distribution needs to be at it's best.

JOEL FREIJAH
The boy has a presence. Nice big-bodied lad. He played the full back line. Almost always the closest to our defensive goal. The style of the game and our field dominance didn't give him a lot of opportunities to shine but on at least 3 occasions he nudged out his direct opponent and completed an intercept mark. In the 2nd quarter he was at the end of wing to center square switch, took a bounce, ran thru the middle and slotted a long goal from 50 meters out. Showed good spatial awareness in congestion with some clever taps finding teammates in better position. He is comfortable and adventurous with the back half passing game.

Can't say I've seen someone this young so obsessed with directing his team-mates defensive positioning. His concentration on the game and positioning is tireless. He's constantly checking that players are manned up, picking them up and beating Keath at the Pointing game. It's exhausting and impressive to watch.

In conclusion: it might have been right and useful for him to be introduced to the VFL on the full back line. It no doubt helped ease his way into the side, to hone his defensive instincts, for defensive positioning to become ingrained and learn the pointing game from Keath, but it's no longer optimal for his development. He has it.

Joel needs more ball, more opportunities. We were almost exclusively using 3 non listed players in the guts. Why not rotate him thru the middle?
Kid has a very high ceiling and a high floor. Barring injuries and normal development there is every reason to believe he will play 200+ AFL games. But for the next year or two it won't be as a deep defender. Two reasons, we are flush with half-backs and Joel offers much more. We need to find out how much more.

BENDENDO
Was the most influential forward on the ground. Probably kicked 4 goals. There is a lot to like. But he plays like a third tall and we've got them already. He has some nice tricks at ground level. To force his way into our AFL side, he needs to focus entirely on his defensive pressure. It's not there, it's ordinary. If he can do that he may or may not make our side but other AFL sides will consider trading for him.

CLARKE
Good game but not great. Would love to have seen him crumb a ball or two but he could not get his positioning right. Led hard, got a few marks, kicked at least 2 set shot goals. Chased hard and has an urgency about him we could do with in the AFL.

JONES, Arthur
Lots of nearly this and nearly that. A lot of caught in congestion trying to break tackles. Found it hard going. He looks likely but its' just not working. Hard to say, reckon he needs to simplify his game and improve his awareness. Just distribute the simple handball and pass, doesn't need to always be trying to evade and get a shot at goal. It's too predictable and so his opponents are on him.

POULTER
He is competent but I'm not a fan of Poulter at AFL level. Then I saw something I really liked. Reckon he could be a good half-back at AFL level. His attacking qualities and instincts as a wingman are not enough at the AFL level. But behind the ball - in a half back role - there was something very instinctive both defensively and creatively. His height is useful too.

BUSSLINGER
The first thing to say is the kid has physically developed beautifully. Great size, power, and mobility for the big defensive role. Took some good marks, doesn't get out bodied. Competent at distributing the ball. Keath is a probably still a fraction ahead of him but there is not much in it. So, if the need presents itself, unless it's a cut-throat final like game, he should get the nod ahead of Keath.

CROFT
Kid needs development time and more games. Not much to say here, looks good but is so easily pushed off the ball and marking contests - played forward - little impact.

CLEARY
Moves well, looked taller and stronger - did not do anything wrong, didn't do much right. Reckon we need to throw him around positionally otherwise he is headed for the delist. There is something there. Something that reminds me of Sydney's Callum Mills who transformed himself from a defender to a pretty good mid. Let's be honest, he is not going to make it in our AFL side as a defender.
As mentioned above, we gave the 3 prime mid field roles to unlisted players against Willi
No idea why you wouldn't give Freijah and Cleary some minutes. It's a wasted the opportunity. Coaches need to be better than this. Players have a short time to prove themselves, wasting opportunities to develop them is indefensible.

SCOTT
Got to admire this guy. He is so professional. Hardly ever makes a mistake. Plays to his limitations.
Low ceiling, above average floor. So honest that I have no issue with him getting AFL games. Can cover a multiple number of roles. And has a knack of being in the right place and getting the best out of himself.
Nice to have someone like this but at 29 years of age and our list his role is depth. Good to have.

That's the end of my stupid thoughts.

Last edited:
The entire senior squad was there supporting the boys, including Bev, Lade and the other coaches.

CALEB DANIEL
He was played on the outside for all but the last quarter with little impact. By 3rd QT, Willi had cut our lead to under 4 goals. We moved Daniel into the guts from the start of the 4th Q and he went to town - cut above the standard. He won ground ball after ground ball, created chains of goals, hit targets and killed Willis hopes. Impressive. He got a goal too.

Were the AFL to further reduce bench rotations, increasing the fatigue of players, Caleb would be a top ten mid-fielder at AFL level Unfortunately, the big, strong, quick, fresh bodies - at AFL level - reduce his effectiveness and make it much harder for him to win his own ball.

Still, I believe there is a place for him in the senior side, but with less opportunities his distribution needs to be at it's best.

JOEL FREIJAH
The boy has a presence. Nice big-bodied lad. He played the full back line. Almost always the closest to our defensive goal. The style of the game and our field dominance didn't give him a lot of opportunities to shine but on at least 3 occasions he nudged out his direct opponent and completed an intercept mark. In the 2nd quarter he was at the end of wing to center square switch, took a bounce, ran thru the middle and slotted a long goal from 50 meters out. Showed good spatial awareness in congestion with some clever taps finding teammates in better position. He is comfortable and adventurous with the back half passing game.

Can't say I've seen someone this young so obsessed with directing his team-mates defensive positioning. His concentration on the game and positioning is tireless. He's constantly checking that players are manned up, picking them up and beating Keath at the Pointing game. It's exhausting and impressive to watch.

In conclusion: it might have been right and useful for him to be introduced to the VFL on the full back line. It no doubt helped ease his way into the side, to hone his defensive instincts, for defensive positioning to become ingrained and learn the pointing game from Keath, but it's no longer optimal for his development. He has it.

Joel needs more ball, more opportunities. We were almost exclusively using 3 non listed players in the guts. Why not rotate him thru the middle?
Kid has a very high ceiling and a high floor. Barring injuries and normal development there is every reason to believe he will play 200+ AFL games. But for the next year or two it won't be as a deep defender. Two reasons, we are flush with half-backs and Joel offers much more. We need to find out how much more.

BENDENDO
Was the most influential forward on the ground. Probably kicked 4 goals. There is a lot to like. But he plays like a third tall and we've got them already. He has some nice tricks at ground level. To force his way into our AFL side, he needs to focus entirely on his defensive pressure. It's not there, it's ordinary. If he can do that he may or may not make our side but other AFL sides will consider trading for him.

CLARKE
Good game but not great. Would love to have seen him crumb a ball or two but he could not get his positioning right. Led hard, got a few marks, kicked at least 2 goals. Chased hard and has an urgent energy about him.

JONES, Arthur
Lots of nearly this and nearly that. A lot of caught in congestion trying to break tackles. Found it hard going. He looks likely but its' just not working. Hard to say, reckon he needs to simplify his game and improve his awareness. Just distribute the simple handball and pass, doesn't need to always be trying to evade and get a shot at goal. It's too predictable and so his opponents are on him.

POULTER
He is competent but I've not a real fan of Poulter at AFL level. Then I saw something I really liked. Reckon he could be a good half-back at AFL level. His attacking qualities and instincts as a wingman are not enough at the AFL level. But behind the ball - in a half back role - there was something very instinctive. His height is useful too.

BUSSLINGER
The first thing to say is the kid has physically developed beautifully. Great size, power, and mobility for the big defensive role. Took some good marks, doesn't get out bodied. Competent at distributing the ball. Keath is a probably still a fraction ahead of him but there is not much in it. So, if the need presents itself, unless it's a cut-throat final like game, he should get the nod ahead of Keath.

CROFT
Kid needs development time and more games. Not much to say here, looks good but is so easily pushed off the ball and marking contests - played forward - little impact.

CLEARY
Moves well, looked taller and stronger - did not do anything wrong, didn't do much right. Reckon we need to throw him around positionally otherwise he is headed for the delist. There is something there. Something that reminds me of Sydney's Callum Mills who transformed himself from a defender to a pretty good mid. Let's be honest, he is not going to make it in our AFL side as a defender.
As mentioned above, we gave the 3 prime mid field roles to unlisted players against Willi
No idea why you wouldn't give Freijah and Cleary some minutes. Quite frankly its idiotic to waste the opportunity.

SCOTT
Got to admire this guy. He is so professional. Hardly ever makes a mistake. Knows his limitations and his ability.
Low ceiling, above average floor. So honest that I have no issue with him getting AFL games. Can cover a multiple number of roles. And has a knack of being in the right place and getting the best out of himself.
Nice to have someone like this but at 29 years of age and our list his role is depth. Good to have.

Great post, thanks.

CALEB DANIEL

JOEL FREIJAH

BENDENDO

CLARKE
Good game but not great. Would love to have seen him crumb a ball or two but he could not get his positioning right. Led hard, got a few marks, kicked at least 2 set shot goals. Chased hard and has an urgency about him we could do with in the AFL.

JONES, Arthur

POULTER
He is competent but I'm not a fan of Poulter at AFL level. Then I saw something I really liked. Reckon he could be a good half-back at AFL level. His attacking qualities and instincts as a wingman are not enough at the AFL level. But behind the ball - in a half back role - there was something very instinctive both defensively and creatively. His height is useful too.

BUSSLINGER

CROFT

CLEARY
No idea why you wouldn't give Freijah and Cleary some minutes. It's a wasted the opportunity. Coaches need to be better than this. Players have a short time to prove themselves, wasting opportunities to develop them is indefensible.

SCOTT
Got to admire this guy. He is so professional. Hardly ever makes a mistake. Plays to his limitations.

One thing I noticed about Poulter was how clean his first touch was.

Footscray VFL v AFL Academy this weekend. Probably a good thing Lobb will be in the AFL side because he would eat whatever skinny 17-year-old KPD they'd put on him.

Do we have day and time for this?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
AUSTRALIA U18 vs FOOTSCRAY BULLDOGS
Saturday, April 27, 2024
11:00am AEST
Mission Whitten Oval
Free entry

HOW TO WATCH: Saturday’s match between Australia U18 and Footscray Bulldogs will be available to watch live and free on the AFL website.

Jedd Busslinger
14 disposals, six marks

It was a good game from Jeddy – he’s building some good consistency. The backs had a pretty good day down there at Williamstown and Jedd was pretty solid. He probably didn't get as much of the ball he’s had over the previous few weeks, but is certainly defending well and building some strong foundations in his game.

Charlie Clarke
10 disposals, five marks, nine tackles, two goals

Charlie's pressure has been a highlight of his game over the last few weeks. Another nine tackles is great for a small forward. We needed him to work up the ground and put on plenty of pressure, and then in the back end of the game, he managed to hit the scoreboard with a couple of goals in the last quarter.

Oskar Baker
13 disposals, two marks, one clearance

Bakes back into the team – it was a tough day for wingers down at Williamstown being such a small ground, but he played a pretty good role for us on the wing running patterns and got back to support the defence too. It was a low possession game all round for everyone, so his numbers don't look that strong, but he was certainly a solid contributor on the day.

Jordan Croft
Five disposals, two marks

Crofty played forward this week. He's been spending majority of the time down back, but we needed a tall target up forward. He started really well and gave us a good target – again, didn't have a lot of possessions, but gave us a good contest. He’s developing nicely as a young player and will spend time either forward or back in the coming weeks.

Caleb Poulter
18 disposals, three marks, one clearance

Poults had a good game again – he was another wingman who got up and down the ground, and played his role quite well. He got enough of the ball and used the ball pretty well. It's been a highlight of his game over the last few weeks - the way he's been using the ball. We would’ve liked him to have got forward and kick a goal – he had a couple of opportunities in the forward half of the game, but got back and supported his defence.

Dom Bedendo
11 disposals, five marks, two goals

Dom had a reasonable game. He obviously kicked a couple of goals – he could have probably kicked another couple as well - but he's been giving us a nice target up forward. We asked him to play a little bit of a role on one of their players who was marking the ball and intercepting quite well, so he was able to go there and quell that player’s influence after quarter-time.

Joel Freijah
18 disposals, 10 marks, one goal

Joel's been building quite nicely. It was really good performance for him. He’s started to mark the ball and intercept the ball from the back half, which is a good sign for him. He's been working on his marking a lot throughout the week, and this week he managed to hold onto a couple. He kicked his first VFL goal this week, which was nice to see the boys get around him.

Anthony Scott
16 disposals, two marks, three clearances, one goal

Scotty was another to play through the wing and played the role pretty well. He got up and down the ground and ran really well for us. He's been carrying a few little ankle niggles, so it’d be nice for him to get a clean run at it, but he played a pretty solid game. He got enough of the ball and helped his team score and defend, which was good.

Lachie McNeil
18 disposals, five marks, four tackles, one goal

Lachie’s been getting a lot of shots on goal - he just hasn't been able to make the most of his opportunities. He’s probably had 10 to 12 shots over the last few weeks and only managed to kick a couple so he's getting into the right spots. He's playing his role really well, but just needs to finish the job.

Arthur Jones
Six disposals, one clearance

Arty is working really hard. It was a tough day for small forwards on a small ground. He's trying to work really hard to get into open space and create some options for himself. He’s certainly working hard but we’d just like to get more impact from him.

Caleb Daniel
20 disposals, one mark, three tackles, one goal

CD was really strong - his leadership was good. Being the quality of player he is, clearly helped us down back – in particular his ball use from the back half which gave us a good opportunity to rebound. He was a key piece to the reason why we won again.

Luke Cleary
16 disposals, seven marks

Clizz is going really well – he’s another one who is building some really good form. Our back-line had a really strong game against Williamstown and kept them to a pretty low score, so would have liked to have probably taken the last two goals off that they kicked late, but the backs really stood up. Clizz was one of those guys who's been building some really strong form down there.

Alex Keath
12 disposals, five marks, one tackle

Keathy was really strong - he actually got voted as the players’ player this week. He set the tone early and played a really good intercepting game which helped his teammates in defence. He was another one of those defenders who really stood up for us.

Ryan Gardner
13 disposals, one mark, five tackles, five clearances, 17 hit-outs

It’s probably not the game you'd expect from Gardy. That's two weeks in a row we've had to have him play a bit of ruck time. He’s competing and been really aggressive - his teammates have been feeding off that too so it’s been a selfless role. His number one position is obviously back, and we'll look to get him back there as soon as we can, but just for player availabilities have had to play him in the ruck position. To be honest, he's been one of our better players over the last two weeks, so he's done a good job.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back