VFL 2024 VFL Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Poulter's position around the ground is excellent.
Freijah's ceiling is high.

Bianco has been good, but a small mid is hardly a list need given Garcia isn't getting midfield rotations.
I'm suprised how quickly Friejah has come on I'd bring him in ahead of Daniel from todays performances.

If Riley or Flea miss a game, he's a pretty obvious 'in'
If VDM doesn't get up for next week I hope Clarke gets given a run, I think his game will translate to AFL level beautifully.

I'm suprised how quickly Friejah has come on I'd bring him in ahead of Daniel from todays performances.

If VDM doesn't get up for next week I hope Clarke gets given a run, I think his game will translate to AFL level beautifully.
I think we'd just roll Garcia into that position and bring Libba back. Hard to find players to drop on the back of last week's performance

I really like Clarke and Spicer. Handy to have smalls who can apply pressure but also nail kicks going inside 50.

Clarke has to be so close. I assume we have been waiting for him to display the capacity to bring defensive efforts for four quarters and he's looking good there. We have a couple of guys who can bring the pressure and can't kick, or a guy like Caleb who could deliver inside but can't apply pressure, Charlie is a bit of a missing link I think.

If Craig-Peters was just a bit bigger he might feature as a draft contender. Great tackler and gets the ball moving often. Great team player.
Croft has a long way to go and looks a few years away as a possible key position player. Very lightly built which restricts his marking.
Most of our listed players contributed. Clark was lively, Busslinger very solid down back, Daniel worked his way into the game on a ground that didn't suit him, Gardner is no ruckman but he provided a contest and prevented Downie from completely dominating. Bedendo showed some nice moves as a forward, just needs to keep working hard. McNeil in and out as usual. Freijah is the most likely of the new recruits, may even be better at the next level with more space to use his pace. Artie was Ok but not sure he can rise to the next level. Scott, Baker and Poulter all contributed but no promotions from that group.
Good coaching has us playing a very good pressure and running style of football.

I’m a big fan of Clarke, think he’s got a future.

I’d be okay with bringing him in deeper and rolling Harmes, West, Cody, Garcia through VDMs role but if we wanted like for like I think Bedendo could be the one. Play the higher link up roll with the pace and tank Clark doesn’t have at this stage to cut the angles on defence. He had very good repeat sprint stats on his two games in ‘22 which we know the coaches love so I think he can go pretty far in offering what VDM does without the ball with way much composure and class on offence, and another marking threat to ram home our main point of difference, on the fast break back towards goal.

I think he’d really suit that spot in our current team right now. But if we went with Clark I’d be okay with that too. Either way one of them should come in for VDM for sure

Could Freijah take Brambles spot and play that role? Lachie has been pretty poor for 3 weeks in a row now after a hot start, Freijah looks next in line. Can offer similar run and better ball use, and he’s a pretty big body who cracks in defensively. If we’re going to explore Richards in the middle more I’d be open to Freijah replacing him to support JJ & Dale

Could Freijah take Brambles spot and play that role? Lachie has been pretty poor for 3 weeks in a row now after a hot start, Freijah looks next in line. Can offer similar run and better ball use, and he’s a pretty big body who cracks in defensively. If we’re going to explore Richards in the middle more I’d be open to Freijah replacing him to support JJ & Dale

He is surely next in line for a role on HB / wing.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Thought Freijah was clearly the best of our listed players in the first 3 qtrs. Faded a bit towards the end. He's not that far away which surprised me. Looked like he spent the whole game at half back, would like to see him on the wing.

Daniel switched into the midfield in the last and got involved a lot more. Looked solid off half back without setting the world on fire. Needs to do a bit more to get a run in the AFL for mine.

Clarke looked good and I'd be tempted to bring him in next week but would only be as sub if we did. The bigger Perth ground doesn't really suit him as he does have a lower fitness base.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clarke 9 tackles and 2 goals, pretty good for a pressure forward.
He pressure and enthusiasm was good again today. Probably should have nailer one or two more goals. Building nicely. I think he is definitely ready for a debut. I think back to the pre season game he played along Marra English Cody Bont and ed and he looked electric that day. He will be better at afl level
In my opinion.

Without wanting to say too much until he actually plays at AFL level, Freijah in this form seems like an absolute bonus a pick 45. Given he was our first pick after we matched Croft, I wonder how high we had him on our draft board, if we felt he was going to be this good, or if he was just a bonus.

Without wanting to say too much until he actually plays at AFL level, Freijah in this form seems like an absolute bonus a pick 45. Given he was our first pick after we matched Croft, I wonder how high we had him on our draft board, if we felt he was going to be this good, or if he was just a bonus.
I wish we had more visibility into the respective “draft boards”. Sure maybe not in real time, but 5 or so years later. I guess it just opens the recruiters up to too much criticism with hindsight.

I wish we had more visibility into the respective “draft boards”. Sure maybe not in real time, but 5 or so years later. I guess it just opens the recruiters up to too much criticism with hindsight.
I do find it funny whenever recruiters say "we rated him higher". By definition that's basically true for every player! Say Joe Bloggs is a surprise pick 1. Literally every other pick thereafter will be higher on their club's draft board, ie, pick 2 will be that team's pick 1 on their draft board, etc.

Vic Country had a strong U18 team last year led by Harley Reid so it's interesting that Freijah may have slipped under the radar a bit, and maybe the wrong players were recruited.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back