Autopsy 2024 Rd 8 Disappointing loss for Blues

Who played well for the Blues in Round 8 vs the Pies?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure what outlet it was through, but I saw a headline somewhere of Dane swan saying “Carlton are our little b*****s” 🙄
Can’t wait until we play them next time to hopefully rectify the smugness
It's the exact kind of thing i'd expect someone like him to say. I have the likes of Dane Swan in the great player but crap person category. Hopefully he'll be eating those words later on this year.

Selection cost us big time.......

Fantasia should be VFL ONLY.

Cinc for Kemp was just wrong.

Kennedy as sub ........Had more impact in last quarter than plenty for whole game.

Ollie will be back this weel also, Cunners did very little and made some bad errors.
Cannot agree more on all of the above.

- Cincotta is just not AFL level. Playing well in the VFL the week before as a mid I thought he may come in as a sub but Kemp shouldn’t have been dropped.​
- Fantasia: Vossy needs to get his buddy out of the side and stop playing favourites. It’s actually very noticeable based on Fantasias form, and if Vossy is going to make a statement with Kemp then he must drop Fantasia. The experiment is over, he is cooked and should be depth only.​
- Kennedy, I suspect his comments about himself on SEN earlier in the week earned him a sub spot (said he was ‘ Lazy’ about himself in a half joking way, but I didn’t like it at the time, needs to think more about the message that sends)​
- Ollie def needed a rest (hope it isn’t playing with his brother that has affected his form - this was my concern when we recruited Elijah and Ollie hasn’t been himself since) but Cuners needed to do more to earn that spot.​
Maybe Ollie comes in for Fantasia and Cuners gets another chance to regain form this week?​

Last edited:

Battles hard, but is just too slow physically and reaction-ally.

Couldn’t disagree more. Cincotta has played 20 games. He is good straight hard runner and a beautiful kick.

Just needs to trust himself and play the way he does at VFL level. He’s a beauty

On the weekend he did a lockdown job and did it well and that’s not a role that suits him

It's all too easy to dismiss how good a player can be in the week after a disheartening loss, and these threads are littered with 'Player X isn't up to it' from posters who should - by now - know better.

The Weitering thread is dominated by posts that are no longer there.

Cincotta has shown plenty, across his time in the ones last year. This 'slow of body and mind' thing; permaybehaps it comes consequence of playing VFL level and not being used AFL level reaction times or speeds? Cerra was also down; do we likewise assess him as a whole player on his performance against Collingwood?

I get rather sick of people having a crack at a player who is - still - in his second season, regardless of how old he is. If he played for Geelong, he'd have debuted next year.

Not sure what outlet it was through, but I saw a headline somewhere of Dane swan saying “Carlton are our little b*****s” 🙄
Can’t wait until we play them next time to hopefully rectify the smugness

It’s Dane Swan.

You’d be hard pressed to find a more irrelevant person in this industry.

if we'd bothered to put time/effort into stopping Daicos, we win that comfortably.

A strange coaching decision.
Reminds me of when certain opposition sides refused to tag Judd for some reason and then had a surprised Pikachu face when they lost

Couldn’t disagree more. Cincotta has played 20 games. He is good straight hard runner and a beautiful kick.

Just needs to trust himself and play the way he does at VFL level. He’s a beauty

On the weekend he did a lockdown job and did it well and that’s not a role that suits him
I'd love to see him replicate what he does at VFL level, he's a good user of the ball, his kicking is a weapon.

I think we have got our defensive roles wrong and that has hurt us. Williams is not good deep and not a good one on one defender. He's a half back, not a back pocket, get him up the ground. Newman can play half back but ideally he is our go to man for stopping good small and medium forwards. I don't think we have been well coached recently and have made some poor calls. Can't put players in the wrong role and then blame the players when they are failing, that is dumb coaching.

A strong 22 covers up poor coaching, now we are getting found out.

I wasn't just talking about rd 21... we played St Kilda in that round...

We had: Silvagni, McGovern, Doc, Walsh, Williams, Harry, Cerra, Kennedy and Boyd all out throughout that period where we played multiple top 4 teams and won all those games....

An excuse, by definition, is a reason to justify a fault...

There's absolutely no doubt that had we lost those games last year people would have been blowing that injury excuse horn loud and clear.

There's just no justification for that now. This team has shown that they have the system in place to cover for significant outs. As depleted as we are in our backline, we had a pretty much full strength midfield and we had Harry out there as well. And, when you really examine the game, for 64 i50 we only conceded 12 goals... we conceded 18 from 45 the week prior against the Cats. Have a look at what the real flaw is there between the two games, conceded 20 more i50's and that doesn't come from not having Gov + Saad out there... and they're not going to solve for 54 tackles to Collingwood's 88...team defence was really poor which was outlined by our real lack of pressure.

The difference between now and last year is the intent and the attitude. Like I said, can't blame that lack of team pressure in the second quarter and the majority of the game for that matter on the outs we had.

Getting players back will certainly help, but it won't solve the root cause of our issues. Players need to buy in again and work harder to apply that pressure.
Have to agree with this, we are in a "no excuses" window with regards to depth. No, we don't have our "best side" on the park but we are still competitive with the better sides and in reality could have won those 3 games even though not playing our best football. We have players out of form, but are still competitive.

If we didn't have depth we would be losing by bigger margins.

Our gameplan revolves around pressure on the ball carrier and a high press, Collingwood beat us at our own game and were mentally prepared player and coach wise, I felt we went along with their plan. We had a plan A but not B and C.

I might be way off track here, but feel when teams come to play us, they bring an extra 10% because they enjoy beating us?

I'd love to see him replicate what he does at VFL level, he's a good user of the ball, his kicking is a weapon.

I think we have got our defensive roles wrong and that has hurt us. Williams is not good deep and not a good one on one defender. He's a half back, not a back pocket, get him up the ground. Newman can play half back but ideally he is our go to man for stopping good small and medium forwards. I don't think we have been well coached recently and have made some poor calls. Can't put players in the wrong role and then blame the players when they are failing, that is dumb coaching.

A strong 22 covers up poor coaching, now we are getting found out.

No one plays traditional positions anymore, haven't for years

If Williams was on a highest half forward, he would get dragged back to the square, same goes for any player that the opposition want to exploit and or think they have the advantage

With Williams, any player, they just need to play from in front when dragged to the last line, that's the danger zone

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No one plays traditional positions anymore, haven't for years

If Williams was on a highest half forward, he would get dragged back to the square, same goes for any player that the opposition want to exploit and or think they have the advantage

With Williams, any player, they just need to play from in front when dragged to the last line, that's the danger zone
Or pick a forward who is weak in this area and tends to play high. Players still play positions, just the roles and the distance covered has changed. Good opposition analysis comes into play here.

Cincotta is too one dimensional just like most of our role players.
Cincotta is a stopper who does not win enough of the ball.
Fogarty can tackle but can not find the goals.
Cunners, great skills but goes missing

Or pick a forward who is weak in this area and tends to play high. Players still play positions, just the roles and the distance covered has changed. Good opposition analysis comes into play here.

Tactics will change from week to week, opposition analysis is generally based ball movement, stoppages, forward and defensive setup as a whole

Sure, a KPD can study an opposition's KPFs strengths and weaknesses, but difficult to prepare for Mihocek playing the decoy and dragging Weitering away from goals.

That will now be addressed for future opponents and teams, hopefully

Cincotta is our second best small lock down defender behind Saad. Physically strong and well only get better the more games he plays.

Cannot agree more on all of the above.

- Cincotta is just not AFL level. Playing well in the VFL the week before as a mid I thought he may come in as a sub but Kemp shouldn’t have been dropped.​
- Fantasia: Vossy needs to get his buddy out of the side and stop playing favourites. It’s actually very noticeable based on Fantasias form, and if Vossy is going to make a statement with Kemp then he must drop Fantasia. The experiment is over, he is cooked and should be depth only.​
- Kennedy, I suspect his comments about himself on SEN earlier in the week earned him a sub spot (said he was ‘ Lazy’ about himself in a half joking way, but I didn’t like it at the time, needs to think more about the message that sends)​
- Ollie def needed a rest (hope it isn’t playing with his brother that has affected his form - this was my concern when we recruited Elijah and Ollie hasn’t been himself since) but Cuners needed to do more to earn that spot.​
Maybe Ollie comes in for Fantasia and Cuners gets another chance to regain form this week?​
Surely you are joking about wanting Kemp in instead of Cincotta last week. Cincotta played on Bobby Hill and and kept him to 8 touches and one goal. You genuinely wouldn't play Kemp on Bobby Hill would you?

Surely you are joking about wanting Kemp in instead of Cincotta last week. Cincotta played on Bobby Hill and and kept him to 8 touches and one goal. You genuinely wouldn't play Kemp on Bobby Hill would you?
Seems Alex is being very harshly judged considering he came in to the senior side after quite a while and had to play on a pretty dangerous opponent. And yet did pretty well.

He can hold his head high compared to some older and more experienced players.

Seems Alex is being very harshly judged considering he came in to the senior side after quite a while and had to play on a pretty dangerous opponent. And yet did pretty well.

He can hold his head high compared to some older and more experienced players.
I thought that Cincotta did an excellent job. He's first job is to stop his opponent which he did. Hopefully he can add further layers as he goes. Will probably reprise his role on Pickett on Thursday. Did O.K. on him in the final but Pickett was still dangerous with 2.3 and hit the post with what would have been the sealer late.

Pickett is a dynamic player though.

I thought that Cincotta did an excellent job. He's first job is to stop his opponent which he did. Hopefully he can add further layers as he goes. Will probably reprise his role on Pickett on Thursday. Did O.K. on him in the final but Pickett was still dangerous with 2.3 and hit the post with what would have been the sealer late.

Pickett is a dynamic player though.

Felt the same. One player aside from Weitering right now who has real physical speed and can hold his feet in contests. It is something we lack and I hope he holds his spot as someone who is not an out and out rebounder like the other defenders (Weitering aside).

Does it mean he will stop a classy player from scoring a brilliant goal. No. But he kept his opponent quiet overall form a game sense.

What's Walsh's role as Naicos strolls past him in the last stoppage?

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Rolling the dice our way to try and win it for us?

It's ridiculous that our best attacking mid is expected to man theirs. Waste a negating player on Daicos, not our best chance of bursting forward our way. If he was left as the match-up then other players have ****ed up.

Back