Autopsy 2024 Rd 8 Disappointing loss for Blues

Who played well for the Blues in Round 8 vs the Pies?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Voss spoke of McGovern, Martin and Marchbank being available next week. I for one can’t wait for mcg and Martin to be bottle back in the side. Improve us so much.

Just glad that Mitch listened to my advice on Friday when I saw at Ikon Park car park- “get those hammies right Mitch” he laughed and said “yeah ok mate”. Should I put my hand up to be Russel’s assistant? I can demonstrate successfully rehabilitation of elite sportsmen..

Available to play at what level?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

As far as Williams goes I think that he has played with a lot of trepidation over the past few weeks.

I think a lot of that has to do with McGovern and Saad not being there alongside him.

With them there he is able to play the game more on his own terms. In their absence he has needed to step up and play a slightly different role. Coming back off his injury I just don't think that he's been capable of doing that.

Maybe he needs a spell to help him regain some confidence in the reserves but having the other two back would see him playing in a different manner IMO.
He might actually be playing on the player that Saad might be playing on. Teams do seem keen to take him to the square. I actually thought that he wasn't too bad last night. If we were to get McGovern and Marchbank back next week I would give him the week off as managed. We can't have him continually being subbed out. Cincotta can play on Pickett.

He will come straight back into the seniors, no doubt in the world about that.
Can’t see why any of the three would be any worse than who they would be replacing even at lower fitness levels. Would only be a question of ensuring they don’t reggrevate anything so would be only reason they come back via 2’s

I've calmed down and am in DGAF mode now. This team is blowing/blown its chances to finish top4 or even make finals if it keeps going as it has been.

Passengers

Hewett was horrible I mean really really horrible the worst game he has played for us - ever. In fact it is a continuation of very ordinary form.
Fantasia was the invisible phantam a ghost
Durdin runs fast in straight lines- usually nowhere near the contest
Cottrell has to improve his defensive efforts to match his offensive smarts
Young is just a waste of time

Moments that cost the game from 'leaders'

1. Harry to WTF!!! Game all even a couple of minutes to go- and Charlie all alone in a one on one in tehgoal square within EASY kicking distance for you....and you decide to stab kick to an outnumber to teh top of the arc why why why???!!!

2. 1 minute to go backs to the wall deep in defensive fifty in a pocket - teh ball can only go ONEW WAY to disadvantage - teh WIDE OPEN UNGUARDED space 30 meters out of goal and Walsh lets Naicos run bye him and around a pack to kick the winning goal everyone including Walsh just watching the pretty boy waltz around - Fken Kennedy from the wrong side of the ball up actually made more ground than the rest of them trying to chase Naicos Down - Kennedy FFS

Coaching

1. Collingwood were allowed to surround every fken contest unmarked and unmanned ready for the spilled ball and off they go - every fken time OR if Carlton manages to get to a receiver they are tackled immediately ... NUMBERS COACH NUMBERS!!! FFS - there is no point playing a pretend zone defense giant a team that RUNS the ball DOH!! Man up! If Collingwood wanted to play a contesarted game PLAY A CONTESTED GAME with even numbers FFS

2. On CBB and Ball ups and Cripps - DOH the bloke was being double teamed all night how about you tell one of the other mids to give the bloke a hand-= OR (even better) stop trying to tap to Cripps who is being held back and try tapping to someone else who is unmarked FFS

Kennedy as sub - Really? Really?

We play our way - WTF is that exactly? Letting Young give the opposition half a minute to set up for his useless kick sideways to give them some more breathing time as well as set up structures - FMD and I'm sick of watching him pat the ball down to opposition crumbers thinking that that is a defensive spoil...no please no more.

Everything appears fixable with inclusions - but I'm starting to think DUMB isnt fixable.

Can’t see why any of the three would be any worse than who they would be replacing even at lower fitness levels. Would only be a question of ensuring they don’t reggrevate anything so would be only reason they come back via 2’s
I agree and I think that the club has taken a fairly conservative approach when bringing players back from injury which hopefully means the chances of aggravating anything are less.

Voss said that Cerra possibly could have played last week but they decided to hold off for another week, I think that's the right approach to be taking at this stage. So, when he mentions players as returning the next week I tend to think that it's going to happen.

I've calmed down and am in DGAF mode now. This team is blowing/blown its chances to finish top4 or even make finals if it keeps going as it has been.

Passengers

Hewett was horrible I mean really really horrible the worst game he has played for us - ever. In fact it is a continuation of very ordinary form.

1. Harry to WTF!!! Game all even a couple of minutes to go- and Charlie all alone in a one on one in tehgoal square within EASY kicking distance for you....and you decide to stab kick to an outnumber to teh top of the arc why why why???!!!

2. 1 minute to go backs to the wall deep in defensive fifty in a pocket - teh ball can only go ONEW WAY to disadvantage - teh WIDE OPEN UNGUARDED space 30 meters out of goal and Walsh lets Naicos run bye him and around a pack to kick the winning goal everyone including Walsh just watching the pretty boy waltz around - Fken Kennedy from the wrong side of the ball up actually made more ground than the rest of them trying to chase Naicos Down - Kennedy FFS

Coaching

1. Collingwood were allowed to surround every fken contest unmarked and unmanned ready for the spilled ball and off they go - every fken time OR if Carlton manages to get to a receiver they are tackled immediately ... NUMBERS COACH NUMBERS!!! FFS - there is no point playing a pretend zone defense giant a team that RUNS the ball DOH!! Man up! If Collingwood wanted to play a contesarted game PLAY A CONTESTED GAME with even numbers FFS

2. On CBB and Ball ups and Cripps - DOH the bloke was being double teamed all night how about you tell one of the other mids to give the bloke a hand-= OR (even better) stop trying to tap to Cripps who is being held back and try tapping to someone else who is unmarked FFS

We play our way - WTF is that exactly? Letting Young give the opposition half a minute to set up for his useless kick sideways to give them some more breathing time as well as set up structures - FMD and I'm sick of watching him pat the ball down to opposition crumbers thinking that that is a defensive spoil...no please no more.

Everything appears fixable with inclusions - but I'm starting to think DUMB isnt fixable.
Agree with everything JaB.

Even before the game started I thought Kennedy sub tf? He’s the one who can genuinely support Cripps who needed it last night.

Don't buy the lack of effort argument. Bad structure often manifests as a seeming lack of pressure.

Collingwood's defensive press and their ability to get more numbers to the contest made us look slow and ineffective. We're slow by foot but quick by hand, and when the opposition have +2 at the drop of the ball we're going to look dreadful.

That, plus an inability to break lines by foot or run from defence killed us. Not sure we had the personnel for the latter (maybe Walsh back instead of Cerra in the last was the go).

The former, Voss got out coached and failed to even up numbers at the contest. I'll take a slow, congested slog over what we saw yesterday.

Passengers

Coaching

:thumbsu::thumbsu:

Sounds like you need another Campari :tearsofjoy:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not really. They both happened in the Crows game at which time we were undefeated. Marc Pittonet played his first game for the season that day. Saad was off the ground by half time.
Ah interesting I thought it was a week or two earlier

Well hopefully that's all it is. If so that intercept game with the clearance game will be unbelievable. Still not ideal, we preach about being system based and not dependent on individuals

Passengers

Coaching

And Newman’s continual kicks up the chimney.

What point are you making? That we’re the best side in the league that will soon hit our straps and dominate the competition?

That’s possible, but until it happens legitimate questions can be asked.
Not the point.

We are under strength and barely going. Yet, the pearl clutching at three close losses… ask your questions but keep some perspective.

Do something different- a few short kicks to break it up a little - not only does Newman continue to kick it up the chimney he tells the opposition he’s going to do it as well.
and also pauses long enough to make sure that they are all stacked and waiting - they all do it. The only times things get mixed up and something happens is Saad and McGovern present and Kemp at times.

Conceding extra numbers at stoppages made no sense to me. Man for man we'd maul the Pies at the contest but we let them shut down our prime movers and play off the turn overs.
Initially I could imagine (and not saying I agree or this is a good idea) they probably thought our midfield so outclassed theirs on paper that we'd roll with the outnumber and still win the clearances.

That would be baffling however because A) That is a huge disrespect of the opposition and big potential to backfire and B) There was plenty of time in the game to change it, so why didn't we...

Not the point.

We are under strength and barely going. Yet, the pearl clutching at three close losses… ask your questions but keep some perspective.

Some very fine margins in this comp.

Also it’s unlikely we win the flag this year, or in fact any year. We are one of about 6-8 capable at the moment, and most likely the field has a greater chance than us.

We aren’t a super team, and thinking we have a heap more talent than sides who have won the past 2 GFs is delusional at best.

Back