Autopsy 2024 Rd 7 Blues Go Down To Classy Cats In A Belter

Who played well for the Blues in Round 7 vs the Cats?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Voss is ( again) having to coach with one hand if not two behind his back - if we had a fit finals side on ground I wouldn't have any doubts about it what so ever.

Problem is what I've been saying for a while now no second for Weitering.

Last edited by a moderator:
We found out a helluva lot in two hours about our structures, our list and how opposition clubs will try to expose us.
Loss hurts, learning will be invaluable.

You'd think the periphery players understand that their clock is ticking and they dont get too m,any repeat opportunities to make their case- no way 3-4 of the players on field for Carlton yesterday play for Geeelong - no way.

All will be forgiven if the team beats Collingwood.
Had to laugh. watching First Crack.
1st up Joey says,he hasn't gone off us one bit and he and Kingy say we were terrific.
Then Kingy gets into his Top 3 and why..
1st Geelong - the disarmers
2nd G-Dub - the punishers
3rd...you think he'll say Swans, especially if you are Huddo sitting there. But no, he says Carlton - the killers!!
This is Huddo
shocked-surprised.gif
CARLTON?? he says looking like the cat, and trying to pick up his jaw.
😂😃
Priceless. Got him back for that commentary. Heheh.

Last edited:
Disappointing to lose when you beat them all around the ground statistically. Leaked a few too many goals. Probably kicked enough though we dominated inside 50s.

Considering who we have out it makes sense. Saad, McGovern and Marchbank play and we win. You could make a similar case for Jack Martin and possible Motlop. Our backline is usually a strength and it failed in this instance.

We had a chance to win and we didn't take our chances. We had a few misses in the side and in a tight contest, momentum is important and we could not gain control here.

It's why I'd be throwing Geelong whatever I can get to trade Blicavs to us. He fills just so, so many holes for them, but for us he'd be the best ruck relief/KPD/tall wing/chop out mark in the comp. He's durable too.

We get him, it'd be ******* transformative.
Sorry to drag you back to reality.

But Blicavs is never leaving Geelong. And even if he did he'd be 34 at the start of next year. With our luck he'd cop his first major injury and be forced into retirement.

I heard a snippet of the Swans vs Hawks game on the radio and after a Swans goal, the commentator said "...another slick goal for the Swans" and I realised that "slick" was exactly what Geelong's goals were, and exactly what ours aren't.

We are a brute force, Plan A side. We're trying to add a transition layer, but our decision making and skills, especially with so many players with good disposal out injured, we're just not good enough. Would love to see some "slick", don't think we can at the moment.

One other thing that stood out - I remembered watching the Lions in Vossy's day, and they always "delivered" in the big moments. This is the premier competition in the land, and if you can't do it when the heat is on, you should be moved on to a club with less expectations. I personally don't like that kind of harsh judgement, would love all the players in a Carlton jumper to play well, but it is the reality.

No excuses we were beaten today.
Weitering, Cripps our shining lights, EH gonna be a ripper with a few more games under his belt.
Pardon the intrusion.

I don't know if Rhys Stanley played his worst game ever, or if Pittonet played his best, but either way, Pittonet was one of your best, along with Walsh, too.

I haven't seen a lot of your side play, but the big fella was seriously good - better than I realised - and it made me a little nervous pretty much every time the ball was thrown in the air or bounced.

I enjoyed the game, and I was happy with how our boys played. We got the better end of the umpiring for a lot of the game, but definitely you guys lost the game in front of goal.

P.S. please beat Collingwood next week.

His man kicked goals the other way . Needed to be a bit more accountable because Geelongs transition out of defence was too slick enabling Touhy so sneek out the back more often than not. He will tidy that up I feel moving ahead

Fair point, I think Voss being upset with us defensively goes beyond just the back 6-7.

Unfortunately yesterday we saw the difference between an elite coaching group and our mediocre coaching group with no plan B (rolling the dice when you are 33 points behind with 8 minutes left is not a plan B). I've given up all hopes of a premiership during the Voss era and am just hopeful we can play in some more big finals and regular season games at the MCG. Go Blues :)

Acres? He was great all game
He had a putrid first 3 quarters and again had his opponent kick goals on him. the blonde kid killed Ollie and Tuohy and the others who played wing on acres side were on top for ages. He made some almighty blunders too. I love his effort and hes a maxhine who runs over the top of his opponents every week. Highlight plays too often make people think someone had a good game overall.

Ok had some time to ponder where we're at.
Lost to the cats by 13 points:
  • They had only 1x best 22 player out.
  • We have multiple out due to injuries.
  • The Cats played to their game plan and were great
  • We still have many things to work on
  • Vossy was not happy at all with the performance

Taking all that into account and the fact we only lost by 13 points...
Good times are ahead everyone.

Can't forget about our leadership and captain. If anyone has what it takes to lead the team to their best, it's Patrick Cripps.

Last edited:
Unfortunately yesterday we saw the difference between an elite coaching group and our mediocre coaching group with no plan B (rolling the dice when you are 33 points behind with 8 minutes left is not a plan B). I've given up all hopes of a premiership during the Voss era and am just hopeful we can play in some more big finals and regular season games at the MCG. Go Blues :)

I don’t think you can blame the coaches for some of the poor turnovers we had - most of which happened in the middle and only then took Geelong a few seconds to get the back back inside their 50 leaving our back structure exposed. Some also happened in our back 50 which was worse. I think the personnel were more at fault and if you put back in say Saad, McGovern and Cerra then you get fewer turnovers and fewer goals kicked against you.

Some of those mistakes were by inexperienced players and they need time to get adjusted - again not the Coaches fault but part of the circumstances given our injury list.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ok had some time to ponder where we're at.
Lost to the cats by 13 points:
  • They had only 1x best 22 player out.
  • We have multiple out due to injuries.
  • The Cats played to their game plan and were great
  • We still have many things to work on
  • Vossy was not happy at all with the performance

Taking all that into account and the fact we only lost by 13 points...
Good times are ahead everyone.
Yeah, pretty much how I felt about it too. Way more annoyed by the loss to the Cows than this one. It's disappointing, but not the end of the world. I'm not leaving that match thinking they've got our measure. They got the points this time, but no reason we can't next time.

Our team defence was the issue yesterday, not our defenders. We didn't apply enough pressure on Geelong coming out of their D50 and once they broke our press, it was green grass and space. Very hard to defend that.

I am already hanging for Friday night. I hope we absolutely smash them, they are due a belting from us.
100%

Given up on Voss based on the back of playing pointy end finals last year and sitting 5 and 2 with better players returning to the side?

I think we are in a strong position

As honourable or whatever as it was… we are masters of losing when we “should” win. I fear that teams that can win it all win even when they “should” lose, and (almost) always win when they should.

Our go-to is chaotic, messy, rough footy. It’s better for finals than regular season. But do we give a LOT of gifts and chances to our opposition every single week, I’d say too many to go where we want to go,

As honourable or whatever as it was… we are masters of losing when we “should” win. I fear that teams that can win it all win even when they “should” lose, and (almost) always win when they should.

Our go-to is chaotic, messy, rough footy. It’s better for finals than regular season. But do we give a LOT of gifts and chances to our opposition every single week, I’d say too many to go where we want to go,
Maybe a valid criticism once upon a time, but definitely hasn't been the case since mid-2023.

Back