Autopsy 2024 Rd 7 Blues Go Down To Classy Cats In A Belter

Who played well for the Blues in Round 7 vs the Cats?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Durdin wasn't good in general play. Not by any measure. If you want to make the argument he was better than Owies, sure. But that isn't the bar we'd want to measure against.

Durdin had 1 f50 ground ball get, from 66 entries... 3 gbg's total for the game...

1 tackle inside 50 on a night we had 24...

6 pressure acts...

1 goal assist...

His set shot didn't just miss... it split the middle of the goal and left behind post... from 30 meters out.

Then in the dying stages he had a snap from about 30 out almost directly in front and he nearly put it oof

He was dreadful.
He also had 7 score involvements.
You don’t need to deliberately ignore that stat.

Players like Cunningham, Marchbank & Martin etc remind me of when I was a young boy getting up at midnight on Xmas eve hoping to see if Santa has turned up…..
I've said for the last two seasons we needed to decide what we're doing with Gov, Martin, Marchbank and Cuningham. Having four first 22 blokes only available every second week is simply not sustainable, and so it has proven.

You can carry two - Martin and Cuningham - as those two are x factor players and can thus be replaced/compensated for with defensive forwards; tackling and pressure can allow lesser players to play their role. But Marchbank is rapidly being eclipsed by the more reliable Kemp and will need to string along quite a few consecutive games to take his position back, and Gov is a reliable offensive pivot when he plays as opposed to a quality defender but is available only marginally more often than Marchbank is.

Richmond built their flags on the reliable availability of their necessary players, Cotchin, Martin, Vlaustin, Grimes, Houli and Riewoldt. Our weakness behind the ball is wholly due to the near entirety of our transition from back half - Saad, Gov, Docherty - being out and the KPP players being replaced by two blokes - Kemp and Young - that we can only carry one of and beat the best.

That's Kemp's job then if Cameron pushes further up the ground.

We should be able to plan and adjust for multiple scenarios in game.
Agree but we seem to get caught out a bit with the handover during play.

Kemp lost Cameron a couple times yesterday for goals, once after he worked back after getting up the ground and the other at a f50 stoppage.

Closest player we have to play on a Cameron is Gov, yet other sides have better options unfortunately

Some are very good players, some are role players. Will Day, McIntosh, Blakey, McDonald, Nash, Buckley, etc

Personally I would have rolled Acres onto him when he pushed through the middle

But, when Cameron is on, he is unstoppable

Kemp lost Cameron a couple times yesterday for goals, once after he worked back after getting up the ground and the other at a f50 stoppage.

Kemp has done well last 2 games, but doesn't have the IQ for Cameron

While I appreciate that a KPD should not lose his man, Cameron plays more like a wing than a CHF. There were multiple times when he'd be the first to get to one of our forwards when they took a mark inside 50, and he took a number of defensive intercept marks.

He's only considered a tall forward because there isn't a term for the player he is. He - like Blicavs - defies definition, so complete as to the roles he plays and the positions he fulfils that positional terminology fails to encapsulate everything he does.

You want to beat him - as in, negate his influence completely - you need a tagger rather than a KPP defender.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

While I appreciate that a KPD should not lose his man, Cameron plays more like a wing than a CHF. There were multiple times when he'd be the first to get to one of our forwards when they took a mark inside 50, and he took a number of defensive intercept marks.

He's only considered a tall forward because there isn't a term for the player he is. He - like Blicavs - defies definition, so complete as to the roles he plays and the positions he fulfils that positional terminology fails to encapsulate everything he does.

You want to beat him - as in, negate his influence completely - you need a tagger rather than a KPP defender.
Agree he is playing the Richo/Kouta utility, high half forward, wing, go anywhere role atm

Closest player we have to play on a Cameron is Gov, yet other sides have better options unfortunately

Some are very good players, some are role players. Will Day, McIntosh, Blakey, McDonald, Nash, Buckley, etc

Personally I would have rolled Acres onto him when he pushed through the middle

But, when Cameron is on, he is unstoppable
It's why I'd be throwing Geelong whatever I can get to trade Blicavs to us. He fills just so, so many holes for them, but for us he'd be the best ruck relief/KPD/tall wing/chop out mark in the comp. He's durable too.

We get him, it'd be ******* transformative.

Someone once said “Don’t get beaten by what you know”

It seems as though there are certain players that play blinders against us ALL the time and generally become match winners.

Cameron
Keays
Elliott
Membrey

Then there are others who we make look like superstars.

Frustrating

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Well we should of known they will flood our F50 and slingshot out of there because of our predictability bombing it forward.

It's why I'd be throwing Geelong whatever I can get to trade Blicavs to us. He fills just so, so many holes for them, but for us he'd be the best ruck relief/KPD/tall wing/chop out mark in the comp. He's durable too.

We get him, it'd be ******* transformative.
Not sure we could land him....if you cotton on to my drift ;)

He also had 7 score involvements.
You don’t need to deliberately ignore that stat.

Yeah I do... as if that pushes his performance from dreadful to good...

Especially when all the other stats I listed were all quite damning for the role of a small forward.

2/7 were those pathetic shots at goal...

He's young, he can go back to the 2's for a couple weeks and earn his spot.

I have never had the confidence
Like lots of people on here about our team but what I wanted yesterday was to see if we can really match it wit the best … probably years of failure and false hope and I rate Geelong.
what I got out of yesterday was we have the team coaching etc to win it all … the footy gods just didn’t want us to win …good game .. felt we played better … Geelong was more slick and i really liked what voss said in the presser .. he was disappointed as much as any supporter in here.
Our backline was bad
Defence when Geelong had transition bad
Small forwards pathetic , fix those 17 is ours

Our team defence was the issue yesterday, not our defenders. We didn't apply enough pressure on Geelong coming out of their D50 and once they broke our press, it was green grass and space. Very hard to defend that.

I am already hanging for Friday night. I hope we absolutely smash them, they are due a belting from us.

Back