Autopsy 2024 Rd 7 Blues Go Down To Classy Cats In A Belter

Who played well for the Blues in Round 7 vs the Cats?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

A few worrying signs with the gameplan. The way we squeeze so far up the ground, it makes us so vulnerable on the turnover out the back, especially against sides with a bit of pace. Gives the opposition so much space to transition to much easier scoring zones...the fact the Cats were so accurate wasn't just good kicking. They had scoring opportunities from much easier spots on the ground.

And we continue to bomb the ball into the forward line from just forward of centre...Charlie often contested against 3 Cats...almost impossible for him. We really need to lower the eyes forward of centre...look for a shorter option then create some chaos with the next kick.

These are things that I think can be fixed...so it's not as though we're stuffed. Some help with injuries also wouldn't go astray.
Good points, well made...not sure how easily they can be fixed though. Geelong signalled their intent early, yet we still watched the ball get out the back numerous times...and they actually duffed a few opportunities too. Where is plan B?

The same going forward...we know how much attention the big two get, and the space there should be for others to operate in...yet we bomb long 9 times in 10. Where is plan B? At least Harry get's on his bike a bit. Charlie seems oddly resistent to using his athletic advantage.

It seems blindingly obvious that teams should target our comparitively slow midfield and desire to press hard up the ground...I'd wager we will see more of it in the weeks ahead.

Last edited:
Durdin wasn't good in general play. Not by any measure. If you want to make the argument he was better than Owies, sure. But that isn't the bar we'd want to measure against.

Durdin had 1 f50 ground ball get, from 66 entries... 3 gbg's total for the game...

1 tackle inside 50 on a night we had 24...

6 pressure acts...

1 goal assist...

His set shot didn't just miss... it split the middle of the goal and left behind post... from 30 meters out.

Then in the dying stages he had a snap from about 30 out almost directly in front and he nearly put it oof

He was dreadful.
i'll have to watch the replay but i though he was about 20m out, maybe even closer...

Tuohy.

But you’re forgetting the few big games we got from Billie Smedts.
Someone suggesting to me that the pick Geelong gave up for Tuohy ended up with Giants getting Sam Taylor.

Not sure if that’s right but if it is 2 of the 3 teams involved have done well out of the transaction….

Was Fogarty part of the Tuohy trade ??

Someone suggesting to me that the pick Geelong gave up for Tuohy ended up with Giants getting Sam Taylor.

Not sure if that’s right but if it is 2 of the 3 teams involved have done well out of the transaction….

Was Fogarty part of the Tuohy trade ??
No, Fogarty was for a token pick a couple years later.

There is a difference between what I would do and what I think Voss will do. My mind hasn't changed
Thanks for that. So you would play Cerra at half back but think Voss would select Cincotta.

FWIW - I’m in the Voss camp. Cerra plays mid.

The only changes I can see are Fantasia in for Owies/Durdin, both of whom were poor. Cerra in for Binns/Carroll.

McGovern a week away from what I’m hearing. Cuningham, McGovern and Martin at least another week.

Fog, Motlop, Marchbank and Saad a few more weeks.

I don't know if it's been brought up but has anyone else noticed some players in the team can barely handball?

Harry has more talent than he knows what to do with. A lot of his handballs to team mates seemed like he was passing to their feet or the sky..

Geelong had one chain where they nailed some quick 30 metre handballs to break into space. Definitely need team to work on it because it's hurting our ability to transition badly at the moment.

I agree with this. I am not being smart when I say Durdin is not very good but reliably so. He will lose the odd one on one but not embarrass himself or cause heads to drop. Young can horrify and demoralise. And chaos seems imminent when he’s near the ball. Not so with Durdin.

PS shout out to Weiters. 6 percent one v one loss rate for the year so far. Guy is a monster.

Durdin would have been ok against a Hawk that isn't what he once was.

That would have released the Bot onto Cameron.

Haven’t written a wash up about this game because I’m seething a little. A lot have written about our poor ball use but that’s footy, it’s a game of mistakes. What I am so dissatisfied with was our resignation in the last quarter. Our heads didn’t drop but it was the fact we accepted that we were going to lose that game. I could sense it on the ground. It was as if we already thought the game was lost after Durdin had missed the shot and Geelong kicked a goal. Never a thought of stopping them getting a run on all day apart from the 3rd quarter. We definitely tested ourselves but geez did we fail hard. Scoreboard was generous yesterday. Very lucky that our midfield kept us in it. Forwards and backs need a rocket. Not working hard enough for the team. The best thing about the season is that they get to respond so I’m pumped to see the boys play with more confidence and connection next week. Must win game

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Issue was right here. The pressure ratings. We spent much of the game going at just 160s (Afl average 180). We would suddenly jump to over 200 once we fell 3 to 4 goals behind. Similar last week against GWS. Spent much of the game in the 150s except when we were 20pts behind. Mid 3rd qtr, when 20pts down, we took it to 240 and it stayed there. GWS didn't have any answers and were crushed in less than 10 minutes. Geelong struggled with it when we lifted the rating but once within a goal it dropped back. If we kept that up where it should have been even kicking at goal wouldn't have been an issue.

The scores we've conceded the past 3 weeks is of real concern.
The clean entries inside 50 we have allowed all year has been worrying -- I think our fwd press needs work as we not set up behind the ball allowing to many easy exit for Oppo inside 50. is it to many players looking to apply pressure around the ball at once maybe in our Fwd50

Last edited:
This is the reality of what we have available.

Cerra - available next week
Cunners - available next week
Gov - 1 more week
Fog - accessed after round 11
Marchy - accessed after round 9
Saad - 4 weeks
Martin - 5 weeks
Mts - 4-5 weeks

Hope Gov available after pies game (I’m done with Young)

Only change will be Cerra for Binns, Carroll back to sub.

But that’s all the defensive coverage we have coming back which is where we struggle the most.
Our i50s
Crows 25 shots from 49 i50s (26 from 52)
GWS 27 shots from 51 i50s (34 from 54)
Cats 28 shots from 45 i50s (30 from 66)

We are getting looks and scoring enough we just can’t stop the op from scoring, this now becomes a coaching failure as much as personal, the coach’s have had the evidence infront of them and failed to address this. (Yes players back will help but reality is they aren’t and won’t be yet)

Our stoppage game has gone back to the best in the game, our transition once we get it in d 50 to score is top 2 but we need something in place to stop the op from easy scores. Look at the cats last night always had a plus one in general play and we always seem to leave our backs 1v1 in transition. Why don’t we try TDK as the spare down back when Pitto is in the truck to maximise our midfield dominance?

I love Voss and he is the man for us but I just feel he is stubborn and doesn’t like to adapt when things aren’t working the way we like.

Anyway we are a very good football team and this will be another fun season, just need to win another 2 of the next 4 to stay in touch with top 4 once we get players back.

Go Blues!
The way Voss said three changes I thought fantasia be one and maybe Durdin if he seen enough of young ..

Yeh nah thought I’d sleep that off but I’m cut like no tomorrow. Too many painfully costly mistakes by a bunch of players. Thought our bottom 6 didn’t do enough and we were always 1-2 kicks behind on the scoreboard and just couldn’t make it up. There was no curse in the tongues of elves or men worthy of that ARC decision. Stand out bad moments: acres kick to geelong player after weits got a free, Williams one on one with Stengle, Walsh trying to be Houdini, durdin miss.

Back