Autopsy 2024 Rd 7 Blues Go Down To Classy Cats In A Belter

Who played well for the Blues in Round 7 vs the Cats?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Last nights loss was very frustrating but ultimately something we can build on. We did a fair bit right and a fair bit wrong. Let’s judge our progress in 6 weeks time when we play the same mob at the same ground.

Personally a lot of my frustration stems from the Adelaide loss which never should have happened and I feel has the potential to cost us something very important when the ladder is finalised post round 24.

Thought his game yesterday was even better than last week. Been seriously impressive
It seems like they’ve adjusted the way they want to use Pitto.

Make him an impact player - go as hard as he can first 1/2 - smash into the contest & oppo rucks.

Then let TDK take over the majority of ruck contests - fresh, jumping over the top.

A few worrying signs with the gameplan. The way we squeeze so far up the ground, it makes us so vulnerable on the turnover out the back, especially against sides with a bit of pace. Gives the opposition so much space to transition to much easier scoring zones...the fact the Cats were so accurate wasn't just good kicking. They had scoring opportunities from much easier spots on the ground.

And we continue to bomb the ball into the forward line from just forward of centre...Charlie often contested against 3 Cats...almost impossible for him. We really need to lower the eyes forward of centre...look for a shorter option then create some chaos with the next kick.

These are things that I think can be fixed...so it's not as though we're stuffed. Some help with injuries also wouldn't go astray.

Watched the replay

So many simple mistakes
To many passengers
Went away from plan that worked well last week
Missing easy early goals festered in us like a disease

Yet we still could have won
What did you think of the umpiring standard Soap?

Looked like a few HTB/incorrect disposals by the Cats were overlooked.

Only for that shot at goal he was good in general play.
The let down cost us three or four shots on goal with his inability to pick up the ball below his knees, before being subsequently subbed off.

Durdin wasn't good in general play. Not by any measure. If you want to make the argument he was better than Owies, sure. But that isn't the bar we'd want to measure against.

Durdin had 1 f50 ground ball get, from 66 entries... 3 gbg's total for the game...

1 tackle inside 50 on a night we had 24...

6 pressure acts...

1 goal assist...

His set shot didn't just miss... it split the middle of the goal and left behind post... from 30 meters out.

Then in the dying stages he had a snap from about 30 out almost directly in front and he nearly put it oof

He was dreadful.

Was at the game yesterday and the stating the obvious , the difference was Cameron.

They kept their forward like open and gave a champion forward room to do his stuff.

His ability to convert with a simple basic kicking style was the difference.

It is though a nicer experience at these sort of games now as a Baggers fan that we aren’t ever out of the game. Was there with a Geelong mate who marvels at how quickly we can score.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That one really hurt to be honest.

Not sure why, it was a decent effort but heck me, felt like we should've pinched it. Now we face 3 tough games and probably need to win 2 of them.

We're going ok but we still have heaps to work on.

It's ironic as he's leading the Coleman, but I'm not sure what Curnow's go is at the moment. He's either refusing to lead or being held off the ball resulting us to dump it on his head; and when he does lead, it's not the advantage of the kicker. Weirdly, he needs to work on his leading patterns/forward craft a bit.

Small forwards are a real problem. I feel for Durdin because he's not a natural small fwd, he has some serious ability but he's in the wrong generation - would've been a gun mid in earlier days. Owies is too inconsistent and we're missing Fogs pressure - strong transition teams are having field days with us; so Collingwood will be a worry. Motlop still ages away too.

Lewis Young running around on Jeremy Cameron was always going to make things tough, I can't really diss the back 6 considering they're pushing s**t uphill.

Thought our mids ran to the front of the contest a bit too much, leaving Dangerfield fwd of the ball on his own 3-4 times alone in the first half.

Liked the fightback.

Hated the umpiring. Wasn't the reason we lost but we got absolutely reamed - but we've had the rub other weeks. Ridiculous that they put the whistle away like that just because it's a big game. Whereas our game v. North they're happy to blow every 30 seconds because it's a 'meh' game. Amateur hour there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A few worrying signs with the gameplan. The way we squeeze so far up the ground, it makes us so vulnerable on the turnover out the back, especially against sides with a bit of pace. Gives the opposition so much space to transition to much easier scoring zones...the fact the Cats were so accurate wasn't just good kicking. They had scoring opportunities from much easier spots on the ground.

And we continue to bomb the ball into the forward line from just forward of centre...Charlie often contested against 3 Cats...almost impossible for him. We really need to lower the eyes forward of centre...look for a shorter option then create some chaos with the next kick.

These are things that I think can be fixed...so it's not as though we're stuffed. Some help with injuries also wouldn't go astray.

What I also notice is that when the ball is coming out of our forward line or through the midfield, our player further down the ground will leave his opponent and run at the ball carrier. Not once have I seen them impact the play, all this has done has create a spare opposition player in the open to receive an easy handball or kick. The the next player down the line will do the same thing until they get an easy I50 entry.

We should stick on our player, this will at least put some presure on the ball carrier to dispose of it to a contest.

We are number 1 for i50 tackles and laid another 24 yesterday which is a ridiculous amount. We have improved in this area significantly but just need our smalls to stay down more to stop the ball getting out so easily
Our smalls to stay down more? Sometimes I wonder if they’re even on the ground.

In the words of Jack Dyer… they’re where the ball ain’t.

Make no mistake, that was a horrendous result. Score board flattered us in the end. That was a 5 goal loss to a team that played in awful conditions last week. We should have ran over the top them. Not the other way around. We need some troops back asap. We need to make changes. Hollands has got to go. Owies the same. s**t performance. s**t result. Just s**t.
I wouldn't agree with that at all. We went to toe to toe with the most consistent team of the last decade and a bit, whilst seriously undermanned.

Accuracy up front was a bit lacking for sure, but i don't think the final score flattered us one bit.

Oh well at least that Cats fan agrees with you.;)

I really think Voss needs to rethink his philosophy regarding the sub, more st likely the sub plays a single quarter, so what is he expecting out of a first gamer in a single quarter?

What is he expecting when he names Durdin or Fantasia, who both average less than a goal per full game and both struggle to find the ball?

Same as Owies.

The sub needs to be able to offer something.

Carrol in game 1 was perfect but hasn’t got beat that output since, even in full games.

Cincotta would be a better sub, put him down back and free up Newman or Williams or someone else up the ground, maybe even Cunners if fit.

We can’t keep picking subs who continually get 1-3 touches in the time they come in and contribute very little
I agree, it's rare that the sub has time to adjust and makes a noticeable difference.(Dow and Kennedy exceptions in 2023)
I'd like to see the sub as always a faster/running option than any of the selected 22, and be more daring when to activate them. If we are being exposed for slow ball movement, then bring them on earlier and risk 1 less interchange option.

Last edited:
We are number 1 for i50 tackles and laid another 24 yesterday which is a ridiculous amount. We have improved in this area significantly but just need our smalls to stay down more to stop the ball getting out so easily
I was furious last week when Durdin decided to fly for a high ball and spoiled Charlie from marking it, luckily for us TDK entered the area and crumbed a great goal on his right foot……

Remember thinking at the time just how wrong we often get it inside 50 on so many levels!!

Back