List Mgmt. 2024 Mid Season Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure these state games have much to do with who's draftable anyway tbh, outside of one or two players in their early 20s.

Scaife wasn't selected for example but will probably get drafted next week. He's far more likely to make it at AFL level than most guys they selected but right now isn't quite as good as the top end state league players. As little as a year in the AFL system probably changes that imo.

Outside of Blight and Teakle, I doubt any of that WA side get drafted next week or ever again tbh.
Are they maybe not selecting the team correctly? I can understand rewarding the older quality players with a state league berth, but with the Mid-Season draft around the corner, wouldn't they get more effort and benefit from playing players who are a chance to make it t the next level?

A few standout old heads of course should be included, but WA re so far behind in this game to SA, why not instead use it as a chance to boost the chances of the hopefuls?

We're not winning anyway.

Winder is like budget Harley Bennell. We could use that

Not sure these state games have much to do with who's draftable anyway tbh, outside of one or two players in their early 20s.

Scaife wasn't selected for example but will probably get drafted next week. He's far more likely to make it at AFL level than most guys they selected but right now isn't quite as good as the top end state league players. As little as a year in the AFL system probably changes that imo.

Outside of Blight and Teakle, I doubt any of that WA side get drafted next week or ever again tbh.
I wasn't talking about talent. I actually don't subscribe to the idea that WA is falling materially behind (Not that I don't think we could do better if the WAFC didn't view its role as purey being the paramilitary arm of the WCE). No, I meant that the strength of the WAFL seniors is not a proxy for junior talent because of the financial weakness of the comp.

Are they maybe not selecting the team correctly?

Pretty much. Just look at who was selected from South Freo- Pearson and Parker. I can understand Pearson but Parker should have been nowhere near the state side. If anyone else from South it should have been Stromm, Winder, and/or Schloithe. I can't speak for the other WAFL sides but I would assume other fans would be scratching their head in regards to some of the selections.

Last edited:
Are they maybe not selecting the team correctly? I can understand rewarding the older quality players with a state league berth, but with the Mid-Season draft around the corner, wouldn't they get more effort and benefit from playing players who are a chance to make it t the next level?

A few standout old heads of course should be included, but WA re so far behind in this game to SA, why not instead use it as a chance to boost the chances of the hopefuls?

We're not winning anyway.
Its essentially a state league all stars game. It isn't the intent to showcase potential mature aged draftees.

Until the intent of the entire state game changes neither will team selection.

Noddy should open up a second spot for the MSD you'd think, either him or McDonald

I reckon take a flyer on Winder but have the second spot open in case someone falls to our first pick, reckon Winder is likely to last til our 2nd pick (if a Stanley slider situation occurs)

In all likelihood we only take one pick but good to have the option open.

I do reckon list spots are tight though so if Winder comes in it should be known he isn't a guarantee to get past 6 months. (not sure if we will be that ruthless tho)

Article out there suggesting Scaife will be picked by North at #1

That's 2 years in a row they have sniped WA team hype (last year they grabbed Hansen jnr)

Interesting that Scaife couldn't even make our cat b but will go #1 in the msd

That's 2 years in a row they have sniped WA team hype (last year they grabbed Hansen jnr)

I think Draper and Williams were seen as having higher upside. Scaife's numbers were always a bit better at WAFL colts level.

I have no doubt we would've listed all three if we could've like was the case pre COVID.

Last edited:

Surely they might want to do something about their defense first? Like a KPD?

Surely they might want to do something about their defense first? Like a KPD?

Depends on the quality of KPDs in the MSD. They might think that they are no better than what they already have.

Got feeling we'll sit this one out tbh.

If we beat Collingwood on Friday we might just be a bit too far down the order unless we have a player in mind no one has interest in. If we have a similar order to most teams I don't think we'll select anyone.

Look at last seasons MSD. There isn't a single player taken after Stanley that I'd want on our list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You swing at a small forward. We are 2 smalls short.
Walters is almost done and switta does not know how to kick goals.
Winder would have been worth a look.
We have three first rounders and a second rounder from a team currently in the bottom four for the end of the season.

I'd much rather use some of those picks on small forwards than a glorified rookie selection who'll likely be more of what we already have at best.

I don't see the rush to get it done now if we're using an inferior draft selection.

We have three first rounders and a second rounder from a team currently in the bottom four for the end of the season.

I'd much rather use some of those picks on small forwards than a glorified rookie selection who'll likely be more of what we already have at best.

I don't see the rush to get it done now if we're using an inferior draft selection.
If there is on there they like now why not grab one?

If there is on there they like now why not grab one?
By all means but don't get pissed off next week if we pass or select someone who plays a different position. I just don't think there's 5+ AFL standard players genuinely available in the MSD. There wasn't last year!

The MSD has been glorified so that afl.com.au and others can get clicks but in reality it's a low percentage draft.

Our priorities should be National Draft and trades. They're the best ways to improve our list.

By all means but don't get pissed off next week if we pass or select someone who plays a different position. I just don't think there's 5+ AFL standard players genuinely available in the MSD. There wasn't last year!

The MSD has been glorified so that afl.com.au and others can get clicks but in reality it's a low percentage draft.

Our priorities should be National Draft and trades. They're the best ways to improve our list.
I trust walls with what hes doing if he passes i'll be fine

Think Winder is a huge shout, they are trying to keep him quiet after last year with every man & there dog wanting Hansen JR by draft week

Last edited:

Hard to refute any of this. However Stanley looks the goods to me. I believe he can be a quality AFL player. Kuek exciting enough for that to be worth the free shot, although I doubt he makes it. And I was calling to draft Nic Martin in the MSD when he was passed over by everyone.

It's a low percentage draft, but is it any worse than say the late 3rd/4th round and rookie drafts? I think the main problem as mentioned above is Freo seem like they want to be a good citizen club and don't want to mess someone around by cutting them after 6 or even 18 months.

This kids pretty versatile. I think will likely play as a forward at AFL level.

----

Geordie Payne can't do much more to put himself in contention for the upcoming mid season draft. His hot form to start the new Talent League season was franked on the weekend by an outstanding display against an Eastern Ranges team boasting some of this years elite midfield talent.

Sounds like you needed to be nominated by multiple clubs to qualify for the medical testing, “The 25-year-old left-footer has garnered at least multiple nominations from clubs to be one of the 24 players to be listed for medicals”

That's exactly how it works with the National Combine, State Combines etc for U18s.

I believe three plus clubs interested in a player will trigger national testing with two interested getting a state combine invite.

If only one side is interested then they slip through.

Hard to refute any of this. However Stanley looks the goods to me. I believe he can be a quality AFL player. Kuek exciting enough for that to be worth the free shot, although I doubt he makes it. And I was calling to draft Nic Martin in the MSD when he was passed over by everyone.

It's a low percentage draft, but is it any worse than say the late 3rd/4th round and rookie drafts? I think the main problem as mentioned above is Freo seem like they want to be a good citizen club and don't want to mess someone around by cutting them after 6 or even 18 months.
100% the third round of the National Draft is better than pick 10 in the MSD.

Pick one in the MSD is probably a third rounder level talent most years at best and it drops away quick.

Stanley was a great get for the MSD but I look at everyone taken after him in the MSD last year and wouldn't be entirely surprised to every other player taken after him delisted by the end of this year.

My main point is adding a small forward now isn't a priority for the MSD when we've got better opportunities to get better ones in November. I'd be happy to add any player that fits well on our list and isn't a step behind talent wise. No rucks, KPDs or genuine inside mids - everything else you make an argument for us needing in the next 12-24 months.

As much as I like a shiny new toy, I probably wouldn’t pick anyone.

I had Geordie Payne as the one young kid we might look at, but it’s sounding like he’ll be picked before it gets to us. Some questions around his ball use, but had the versatility and athleticism I thought would appeal to us.

I’m not sure what to think about Winder, mostly in that nobody in the media is running with it. Sounds like if our interest was real, it would be a poorly kept secret. I did like him in his draft year and he would probably be one who’d make us better now. But it’d also mean Simpson moves down the pecking order.

Kelsey Rypstra being nominated for a medical is an interesting one. The only genuine small crumbing forward on the list. I don’t think he’s much more advanced than Delean so wouldn’t be one to play immediately. He’s all speed and pressure, and we all know we value pressure over goals.

I would also take either of Jez McLennan or Luke Beecken on our list. But I know I want to improve our half back depth more than most on this board.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back