List Mgmt. 2024 Mid Season Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

You miss every shot you don't take

I know you are right, but I don't understand why we don't have a crack.
In this case I think the answer is obvious. We have a list spot squeeze and I doubt we move players across the country for a 6 month spell. The player has to be an obviously better long term prospect than someone on our list (that isn't already getting delisted).

It's why I think a WA player is most likely (unless we've found another Stanley). You don't have to uproot them from their lives to give them a shot.

Normally I like shiny toys, even if they are from the AFL equivalent of wish, but this year I don't think it makes sense.

Pull the trigger. If you don't go you don't know.
Turn the list over.
There are plenty of crabs who have had their time.
It's not healthy to hold on to cloggers for too long.

Pull the trigger. If you don't go you don't know.
Turn the list over.
There are plenty of crabs who have had their time.
It's not healthy to hold on to cloggers for too long.
My problem is the project picks who you start out playing WAFL reserves. I'd want someone who's still fairly young, but also not someone who you learn close to nothing about in their first 6 months.

Essentially treat it as almost a mid-season SSP where there are no guarantees after the 6 months rather than someone so raw that you almost feel obligated to extend further unless they go on a pub crawl before every game.

In this case I think the answer is obvious. We have a list spot squeeze and I doubt we move players across the country for a 6 month spell. The player has to be an obviously better long term prospect than someone on our list (that isn't already getting delisted).

It's why I think a WA player is most likely (unless we've found another Stanley). You don't have to uproot them from their lives to give them a shot.

Normally I like shiny toys, even if they are from the AFL equivalent of wish, but this year I don't think it makes sense.

I don't think we have a list spot squeeze.

Sturt, Walters, Fyfe, Hughes, Corbett, Taberner, McDonald, Knobel, Jones, Reidy, O'Driscoll, Williams, Keuk, Voss could easily be off our list in the next 2 years (More than likely 8 to 10, of the 14)

I would include Brodie, if he was not contracted. No idea why we extended him for so long.
You could easily add Banfield, Stanley etc.

If you can add a player that at worst, puts pressure on other players to improve surely that is a benefit.

I understand what you are saying (and it is probably right), I just don't agree with it. At least get Winder, he is a highly talented free hit.

Interesting about winder.

Seen a lot of talk on here. Doesn’t seem to be on the radar for any of the articles in the last few weeks.

Scaife and Blight both mentioned, so not like they’re ignoring wa.

Where is the noise actually coming from?

Where is the noise actually coming from?

From Sherrif in another thread. He said his mate's son plays colts for Sowfs and it is apparently being spoken about around the club.

I don't think we have a list spot squeeze.

Sturt, Walters, Fyfe, Hughes, Corbett, Taberner, McDonald, Knobel, Jones, Reidy, O'Driscoll, Williams, Keuk, Voss could easily be off our list in the next 2 years (More than likely 8 to 10, of the 14)

I would include Brodie, if he was not contracted. No idea why we extended him for so long.
You could easily add Banfield, Stanley etc.

If you can add a player that at worst, puts pressure on other players to improve surely that is a benefit.

I understand what you are saying (and it is probably right), I just don't agree with it. At least get Winder, he is a highly talented free hit.
I don't know if you put up this list disingenuously, but it's misleading at best.

Only blokes leaving this list this year matter since you can't borrow list spots from the future. So Fyfe, Walters, McDonald are irrelevant.

Williams is Cat B so irrelevant.

Kuek and Voss are the same list spot.

Knobel is very obviously a long term project.

Banners is currently B22 and isn't getting delisted for a MSD pick.

At least one of Voss or Tabs will be staying as you can't have your backup KPF as an 18yo.

So even if I grant you every contentious one, it's

Sturt, Hughes, Corbett, Taberner, Jones, Reidy, NoD, Stanley, Wagner (I think)

So 9 if we delist all of them, which we probably won't. I'd be especially surprised if both Nod and Stanley got delisted.

So somewhere between 4-9. Then you just ask yourself if you'd rather have NoD/Stanley/Sturt/some ND pick on the list or some state league plodder (remember our 2nd pick would be like 15+). I think it's obvious. Especially since we will have pick 7+.

Also, Brodie having years is for blindingly obvious reasons. He's clearly AFL standard and wouldn't be on much. Great break glass player.

And honestly, it's not like any of the MSD picks sound good other than that forward kicking bags and he isn't getting to us.

Last edited:
Only blokes leaving this list this year matter since you can't borrow list spots from the future. So Fyfe, Walters, McDonald are irrelevant.

I said over 2 years.

Also, Brodie having years is for blindingly obvious reasons. He's clearly AFL standard and wouldn't be on much. Great break glass player.

Other people here rate him, I have doubts he is any other clubs best 22.
Slow inside mids, who don't do anything else are a liability full stop.

I think he is behind Erasmus, and he is probably behind Johnson for an inside mid role.

And honestly, it's not like any of the MSD picks sound good other than that forward kicking bags and he isn't getting to us.

I will go back to the saying, you miss every shot you don't take.

Even if this is a hale mary, you may as well take the shot. If it turns out to be a good player, great. If not, nothing lost except a bit of cash. Winder looks like a good free hit, I am sure there is one small to medium forward around that is another.

Understand your view point, but I don't agree with it. I think the club will follow what you are saying, but I don't agree with that either.

I don't know if you put up this list disingenuously, but it's misleading at best.

Williams is Cat B so irrelevant.

Kuek and Voss are the same list spot.

Knobel is very obviously a long term project.

Banners is currently B22 and isn't getting delisted for a MSD pick.

At least one of Voss or Tabs will be staying as you can't have your backup KPF as an 18yo.

So even if I grant you every contentious one, it's

Sturt, Hughes, Corbett, Taberner, Jones, Reidy, NoD, Stanley, Wagner (I think)

So 9 if we delist all of them, which we probably won't. I'd be especially surprised if both Nod and Stanley got delisted.

So somewhere between 4-9. Then you just ask yourself if you'd rather have NoD/Stanley/Sturt/some ND pick on the list or some state league plodder (remember our 2nd pick would be like 15+). I think it's obvious. Especially since we will have pick 7+.

NOD some chance to be delisted and added to rookie list I reckon. The talent is there but injuries have held him back. Stanley stays hopefully.

Good chance we pass at MSD.

Those out of contract:
Primary: Hughes, Sturt, NOD, Corbett, Wagner, Knobel, Emmett, Banfield, Tabs
Rookie: Stanley, Williams, Reidy, Voss, Kuek, Jones

Those in the gun (from my perspective)
Primary: NOD (to rookie), Corbett, Tabs (potentially Wagner and Sturt - depending on the remainder of the year)
Rookie: Williams (cat-B so may get a reprieve), Reidy, Kuek

Sharp may get upgraded to primary list (ie swap with NOD).

So where we are a bit tight is on the rookie list. Whilst we have a list spot available that player Kuek is running around at training like he has recovered from his injuries. I know he has been ruled out but at the end of the season he jumps back onto the rookie list and we are one spot too many.

As such we go to the MSD with a short list of players. They will be gone by our pick and then we pass.

At end of the year we will prob open up 3 spots for draft. That incl. trading in 1-2 players and 1-2 out like for example Switta (if rumours are to be believed). It will likely mean at best we will have 1 rookie draft pick but potentially none (and instead go to draft with an extra pick).

I said over 2 years.

Other people here rate him, I have doubts he is any other clubs best 22.
Slow inside mids, who don't do anything else are a liability full stop.

I think he is behind Erasmus, and he is probably behind Johnson for an inside mid role.

I will go back to the saying, you miss every shot you don't take.

Even if this is a hale mary, you may as well take the shot. If it turns out to be a good player, great. If not, nothing lost except a bit of cash. Winder looks like a good free hit, I am sure there is one small to medium forward around that is another.

Understand your view point, but I don't agree with it. I think the club will follow what you are saying, but I don't agree with that either.
Yes and I said what happens next year is irrelevant. You can't use a list spot this year because Fyfe is OOC next year.

He played inside mid in a team that won a final. He's fine as depth.

It's not a good saying in this context. You don't get an infinite number of shots and you have to choose when to take them to maximise your chances of scoring. The MSD is rarely going to be the best option.

Yes and I said what happens next year is irrelevant. You can't use a list spot this year because Fyfe is OOC next year.

He played inside mid in a team that won a final. He's fine as depth.

It's not a good saying in this context. You don't get an infinite number of shots and you have to choose when to take them to maximise your chances of scoring. The MSD is rarely going to be the best option.
Reckon we only take someone if they can genuinely challenge Emmett, Switta or Walters for a spot in the 23. If not, we can keep developing Simpson, Sturt, Stanley and Delean to challenge for those positions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reckon we only take someone if they can genuinely challenge Emmett, Switta or Walters for a spot in the 23. If not, we can keep developing Simpson, Sturt, Stanley and Delean to challenge for those positions.
I can see us taking someone if we think they are a genuine prospect in any position (bar KPPs), but I doubt we take someone just because we can. Agree.

The only exception is we might have a flutter on a WAFL player (like Winder) because that can be a 6 month thing.

We’ll get 20 pages of discussion up & then select no one.
If we stay around where we are in the next few weeks ladder wise I reckon it's 60/40 we take someone tbh. Obviously lower on the ladder we are more likely we take someone.

Honestly think there's about as much chance of the club selecting Jack Anthony in the MSD than taking a second selection. I'd be surprised if we even bother making the space on our list.

Last year Walls openly said there was only four players in the MSD we would've selected and Stanley was the highest rated one still available. This is a weaker group apparently so we'll probably shortlist the same if not less.

NOD some chance to be delisted and added to rookie list I reckon. The talent is there but injuries have held him back. Stanley stays hopefully.

Good chance we pass at MSD.

Those out of contract:
Primary: Hughes, Sturt, NOD, Corbett, Wagner, Knobel, Emmett, Banfield, Tabs
Rookie: Stanley, Williams, Reidy, Voss, Kuek, Jones

Those in the gun (from my perspective)
Primary: NOD (to rookie), Corbett, Tabs (potentially Wagner and Sturt - depending on the remainder of the year)
Rookie: Williams (cat-B so may get a reprieve), Reidy, Kuek

Sharp may get upgraded to primary list (ie swap with NOD).

So where we are a bit tight is on the rookie list. Whilst we have a list spot available that player Kuek is running around at training like he has recovered from his injuries. I know he has been ruled out but at the end of the season he jumps back onto the rookie list and we are one spot too many.

As such we go to the MSD with a short list of players. They will be gone by our pick and then we pass.

At end of the year we will prob open up 3 spots for draft. That incl. trading in 1-2 players and 1-2 out like for example Switta (if rumours are to be believed). It will likely mean at best we will have 1 rookie draft pick but potentially none (and instead go to draft with an extra pick).
At this stage Switta would be no loss (cant kick more than 35 mts and regularly injured)

At this stage Switta would be no loss (cant kick more than 35 mts and regularly injured)
Jump Goat GIF

What type of player is Winder? Can he play forward?
Pretty sure he played hf for Peel. Kinda neat and tidy smooth mover.

The talented forward showed some promise in 2022, playing six games (one as the unused med-sub) and showing his class in a standout three-goal performance against Greater Western Sydney in round 10. Winder has a nous for goals and worked hard on his conditioning over the off-season. The Peel Thunder product was taken with pick 57 in the 2020 NAB AFL Draft and played his first senior game in round four the next season, but his debut campaign was curtailed by a knee injury which sidelined him for three months. At a Glance: Debut: Round 4, 2021, Recruited from: Eaton (WA)/Peel Thunder (WAFL), Brownlow Votes: -

POSITION: Midfielder/Small Forward

DRAFT ANALYSIS: "Winder is one of the, if not the, most explosive, dynamic and game-changing smalls in this year’s AFL Draft Pool." – Lenny Fogliani

Eaton Boomers product Isiah Winder is a leading small midfielder-forward prospect among 2020’s potential AFL Draft Pool. In 2020, Winder certainly enhanced his draft prospects with a stunning season. In five games for Peel’s Colts team, Winder averaged 28 possessions, seven marks, five tackles and three inside 50s to finish eighth in the WAFL Colts Coaches and Award and win Peel’s Colts Players’ Player Award. His best performances for Peel’s Colts team came against Perth in Round 1 (32 possessions, seven marks, seven tackles), East Fremantle in Round 2 (26 possessions, seven tackles, five marks, two goals) and Swan Districts in round six (28 possessions, five inside 50s). He also played three games for Peel’s League team, and looked comfortable in a variety of positions, including half-back. In 2019, he finished ninth in the Jack Clarke Medal and ninth in Peel Thunder’s Best and Fairest, capping off his year with a big Grand Final performance. The crafty small also took part in the West Australian Under 18 All-Star fixtures in 2020, further staking his claim as a draft prospect.

STRENGTHS:

• Athleticism
  • Speed/agility
  • Vertical leap
  • Kicking/creativity
  • Clean hands
  • Football smarts
IMPROVEMENTS:

• Consistency
A player who has come on strongly over the past 18 months, Winder has a vast array of weapons which catch the eye of onlookers. Winder’s athletic strength was highlighted at the WA Draft Combine, where he finished in the top five of every test, including winning the vertical jump test and the 20-metre sprint. Something which sets him apart it his ability to utilise his athleticism on the field; bursting away from stoppages with speed, zipping around opponents, and rising to take some terrific aerial marks for a player of his size.

Winder also has one of the best kicks going inside 50, often lowering his eyes to spot up a team-mate on the lead or in space. The 180cm prospect is low to the ground and clean in his delivery, able to spear or weight his passes to avoid intercepts. He has also demonstrated an ability to be a threat whenever he is stationed inside the forward 50. He is smart with his leading patterns, strong overhead and is a solid kick for goal. That kind of attacking acumen makes him such a dangerous and impactful player, though he can certainly work on more consistently applying himself defensively.

As exemplified by his roles up either end of the ground at League level, Winder will most likely start outside of his now favoured midfield position in the AFL system. While his speed and skill could combine to apply a great spark when required, he seems a touch more suited to either the classy half-back type, or a small forward role which he has previously taken on. His numbers at Colts level stack up consistently in terms of accumulation, but remaining in the hunt once the ball has gone the other way, and maintaining his intensity will allow him to further showcase his best attributes.

Winder has shown he can adapt well to multiple roles, and his steep rate of improvement suggests he can develop even further in an elite environment. His senior berths were tough going considering Peel's struggles, but maintaining a competitive edge while showcasing that obvious attacking flair will be important going forward. At his best, he is very difficult to stop and is capable of those fabled 25-disposal, two-goal games.

DRAFT PROJECTION: 40-60

Winder's senior experience in 2020 and quite a steep rise in form has put him well within draft calculations. While not a pure small forward this year, he is certainly capable of playing such a role and that may be the position he is drafted in, at least to begin his career. The outside may also be a home for him should he improve his endurance a touch, so there are plenty of options for recruiters in terms of roles he may suit if given a shot. Round 3 seems about the range he may be taken in, and he could provide great value later on given his exciting athleticism and football smarts.

FURTHER CONTENT:

The fact we are getting that article in the west almost confirms we’re getting him in the MSD, good redemption story showing strong community engagement.
How on earth do you draw that conclusion.

In saying this I think he would be a good addition. Likely playing half forward.

Read this article yesterday and doesn’t really fit a need but we were obviously interested prior to his hamstring:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back