Draft Profile 2024 Mid Season draft prospects

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, but we tend to go best available. If we thought he was the standout I doubt we'd pass him up. Draft for talent, trade for needs is what Matt Clarke used to say.
That's a good philosophy to have in the national draft, but I reckon the MSD is a bit different because the talent level is not as high, and the impact of mature age players comes a lot sooner.

Yeah, but we tend to go best available. If we thought he was the standout I doubt we'd pass him up. Draft for talent, trade for needs is what Matt Clarke used to say.

Anyway, knowing us we'll probably take some obscure little bloke straight out of the VAFA or something.

It's a cute line, but trading is never as guaranteed as drafting so a disparity does exist.

Some years there just aren't players you can trade in.
You'll likely always have access to multiple draft picks though.

The more draft picks you can bank, the more risks you can afford to take.

North Melbourne are absolutely in that position now with zero need for more midfield talent. Smillie offers something a little different later this year for them if that's how it goes at least. His height adds a point of difference.

It's a cute line, but trading is never as guaranteed as drafting so a disparity does exist.

Some years there just aren't players you can trade in.
You'll likely always have access to multiple draft picks though.

The more draft picks you can bank, the more risks you can afford to take.

North Melbourne are absolutely in that position now with zero need for more midfield talent. Smillie offers something a little different later this year for them if that's how it goes at least. His height adds a point of difference.
Yeah obviously there are exceptions. But with Grimes finished, Broad just about done and Gibcus coming off an ACL we'll need key defenders too.

Smillie would be nice.

That's a good philosophy to have in the national draft, but I reckon the MSD is a bit different because the talent level is not as high, and the impact of mature age players comes a lot sooner.
I disagree. Blindly taking best available put my club in a hole, it did the same for North more recently.

I disagree. Blindly taking best available put my club in a hole, it did the same for North more recently.
If those players had all developed well then there wouldn't be any complaints, they could be traded if surplus to requirements. The problem for both clubs is that they didn't , because either the clubs' scouting, interviewing or development programs (or all of the above) weren't good enough. In fact the same can be true of drafting for need, those players can bust too and they'd be in an equally sized hole, if not greater.

For North in particular I'd argue they overlooked both greater talent and greater need when they drafted Phillips over McDonald, but that's a discussion for a different thread.

If those players had all developed well then there wouldn't be any complaints, they could be traded if surplus to requirements. The problem for both clubs is that they didn't , because either the clubs' scouting, interviewing or development programs (or all of the above) weren't good enough. In fact the same can be true of drafting for need, those players can bust too and they'd be in an equally sized hole, if not greater.

For North in particular I'd argue they overlooked both greater talent and greater need when they drafted Phillips over McDonald, but that's a discussion for a different thread.
The problem is that the best player available was the same kind of player over and over again. It built a hole in the list.

If a player slightly less talented but a bigger need is available, I'd rather them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We're getting to the stage where it feels like a lot of the good prospects have already had a go in the MSD. I am interested to see the reviews around Corey Tregenza, Jed Hagan, Aaron Clarke from WAFL followers (Clarke in particular, wasn't great for my Burgers) as well as Jake Gasper from the SANFL
I have seen a bit of Tregenza his year. Tregenza has always struck me as not big enough to play as a forward + change ruck player at AFL level (which is kind of a role he fills at WAFL level) but also too slow to play as a KPF permanently. However, things going in his favor; his goal kicking is really excellent and he gets to good locations to take marks. Also I note he is outlasting his opponents and causing havok particularly in quarters 3 and 4 where he tends to appear as the most dangerous forward on the ground. Looking at his goal tallies, he has less than I would have thought, but he is consistently getting a couple of goals a game and I think he is primed to start kicking some absolute bags.

Hagen is playing I think mostly as a small forward and whilst competent at WAFL level, I am not sure what features would make him attractive to be selected to play that role at AFL level.

Probably missed the boat but Finn Heard just looks like an AFL player. Quite mobile and good grab. Hasn’t had a huge year so far which probably means he isn’t on the radar

Will Snelling is putting up some bonkers statistics in the SANFL. Two games this year of 18 tackles. That's in each game, not across both. Leads the league in both disposals and tackles.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back