Preview 2024 Mid Season Draft Prospects & Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

You said the magic words. When do we unveil him at Slow 'N' Short HQ

Definitely short but is by no means slow, but he doesn’t have line breaking pace either. If you look at his junior achievements (like Adam D’Aloia) he basically achieved everything there was to achieve as a junior. You don’t get accolades like Jed Hagan did by being a scrub.

Just from the vision there is no way he is 194. I would say 192 tops. Plus, that defending is shizen. Maybe why Pinkus looked good.

I thought the same too. If he is sub 195cm it would be silly if we were interested. If we are going talls they need to be genuine key position players only.

I thought the same too. If he is sub 195cm it would be silly if we were interested. If we are going talls they need to be genuine key position players only.

We need some meat shields to just get through to the end of the season.

A lamp post with arms would work.

Scaife looks the part as he has the body to come in right away and at least bottle up a key defender. If he doesn't have the tank, he can play as the deepest forward and Larkey can play CHF.

As much as I want and I think we need another small forward, I actually think we should just take the best FWD/Ruck from the state leagues. I actually don't really care if it's a 30 year old journeyman like Liam McBean.

Goad is 2 preseasons from being AFL ready, despite how promising he looks, if Xerri were to be injurred, with no CCJ, we are absolutely screwed.

We'd probably have to throw Goad to the wolves with Greenwood and Comben as the backups.

We need some meat shields to just get through to the end of the season.

A lamp post with arms would work.

Scaife looks the part as he has the body to come in right away and at least bottle up a key defender. If he doesn't have the tank, he can play as the deepest forward and Larkey can play CHF.

As much as I want and I think we need another small forward, I actually think we should just take the best FWD/Ruck from the state leagues. I actually don't really care if it's a 30 year old journeyman like Liam McBean.

Goad is 2 preseasons from being AFL ready, despite how promising he looks, if Xerri were to be injurred, with no CCJ, we are absolutely screwed.

We'd probably have to throw Goad to the wolves with Greenwood and Comben as the backups.
I like Cooper Keogh from Coburg that played in our VFL last year. He has looked like a different player for Coburg this season. Still young. But doesn't mind doing the physical stuff. I would rather him on our list than Free.

I like Cooper Keogh from Coburg that played in our VFL last year. He has looked like a different player for Coburg this season. Still young. But doesn't mind doing the physical stuff. I would rather him on our list than Free.
I saw Keogh a couple of times last year, and he went well enough to have me looking up who he was; haven’t tracked him this year so interesting you say he’s going well

I reckon we'd play Free before we'd even consder Goad at the moment. He is getting Jacob Edwards like number at the moment. Way too underdone

It seems that Jack Hutchinson has been generating mid season draft buzz since before the season even began. Hutchinson is a mid sized lead up forward with excellent athletic traits, strong overhead and below his knees. He also has the ability to pull of the spectacular at times.

It seems that Jack Hutchinson has been generating mid season draft buzz since before the season even began. Hutchinson is a mid sized lead up forward with excellent athletic traits, strong overhead and below his knees. He also has the ability to pull of the spectacular at times.

Hmmm, it's a no from me but appreciate the vid.

MID-SEASON DRAFT BOLTER IMPRESSES

Collingwood VFL coach Josh Fraser has given a ringing endorsement of midfielder Ned Long’s mid-season draft aspirations aftera blinding start to his season at the Pies.

Long was on Hawthorn’s list and has now moved to the Pies VFL squad, who might end up looking elsewhere in the mid-seasondraft given they need key talls and took inside mid Lachie Sullivan as a summer rookie.

Long played five games across two seasons at the Hawks and has averaged an astonishing 8.5 tackles, five clearances and 25 touches in four VFL games for the Pies.

“I have been really impressed with Ned. He came into the program at VFL level, he’s made us better straight away with howhe plays,” Fraser said.

“He is just so combative around stoppage and contest and has a great ability to get the ball to others. He can play multipleroles, we have used him 90 per cent as a mid but he can play different parts of the ground.

“I would be (surprised if he wasn’t taken), but I look at it through a very narrow lens because I watch him every week. Idon’t know what else is out there but everything he has done so far has impressed. He is a guy I think would add a lot ofinterest from others from a mid-season perspective.”

Collingwood VFL coach Josh Fraser has given a ringing endorsement of midfielder Ned Long’s mid-season draft aspirations aftera blinding start to his season at the Pies.

Long was on Hawthorn’s list and has now moved to the Pies VFL squad, who might end up looking elsewhere in the mid-seasondraft given they need key talls and took inside mid Lachie Sullivan as a summer rookie.

Long played five games across two seasons at the Hawks and has averaged an astonishing 8.5 tackles, five clearances and 25 touches in four VFL games for the Pies.

“I have been really impressed with Ned. He came into the program at VFL level, he’s made us better straight away with howhe plays,” Fraser said.

“He is just so combative around stoppage and contest and has a great ability to get the ball to others. He can play multipleroles, we have used him 90 per cent as a mid but he can play different parts of the ground.

“I would be (surprised if he wasn’t taken), but I look at it through a very narrow lens because I watch him every week. Idon’t know what else is out there but everything he has done so far has impressed. He is a guy I think would add a lot ofinterest from others from a mid-season perspective.”
The only time I've seen Long play was on the TV in the VFL/SANFL game, and I specifically watched to track him - he was certainly serviceable, but played more outside than at the coalface (woodcock and others seemed to have been preferred in the clinches). Kicked two goals in a beaten side and worked hard between the arcs; has the physical attributes we need in the centre, 190 x 90 but whether there's more priority put on a ruck or KPF only Brady knows

IMG_3102.png
IMG_3103.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From one of the FB pages, One from the SANFL:

'Patrick Weckert for the Eagles is one to watch for the MSD.
19 year old 194cm key forward who backed up a 4 goal performance last week in a breakout game with 3 more today.
8 goals in his 3 games this year.'

Seems he would suit us perfectly, kicked 3 in the first 10-15 minutes then nothing but a scrub kick in the 4th... He's been secretly training to our plan it seems!

Sent from my SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'd much prefer Long over Hutchison.

I may be wrong. But I think Hutchison is more Ash Johnson than Jeremy Howe. 10 disposals per game at VFL level suggests he is still a looooong way off.

Long still has plenty of development left in him too considering his injuries earlier in his career.

Jasper Scaife with #1, Ned Long with #2 thank you very much.

I'd much prefer Long over Hutchison.

I may be wrong. But I think Hutchison is more Ash Johnson than Jeremy Howe. 10 disposals per game at VFL level suggests he is still a looooong way off.

Long still has plenty of development left in him too considering his injuries earlier in his career.

Jasper Scaife with #1, Ned Long with #2 thank you very much.
Genuine question, you think Long would last to our second pick?

Genuine question, you think Long would last to our second pick?

I'm not entirely sure mate. That's the first article I've seen that's linked him to the MSD. Like every year there will be some clubs that don't take a pick to the MSD, while others will have specific role players in mind.

Long would suit us perfectly as a big bodied midfielder who loves to tackle.

I'm not entirely sure mate. That's the first article I've seen that's linked him to the MSD. Like every year there will be some clubs that don't take a pick to the MSD, while others will have specific role players in mind.

Long would suit us perfectly as a big bodied midfielder who loves to tackle.
Exactly what we need. His worst VFL game is better than Phillips best this year, would instantly make us better.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back